Discovery Gaming Community
Swarm Missiles - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Swarm Missiles (/showthread.php?tid=1219)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Swarm Missiles - Badger - 06-26-2006

I've read a few posts on the topic, but they only showed the opinions of one or two players. So what is the general consensus on Swarm Missiles? Do you consider them "cheap" or unbalanced, or do you acknowledge them as good choices of weaponry?

I'm going to start this off by admitting I love them :0)

No fighter weapon is quite as efficient at devastating NPC fighter groups, and using no ammo means taking down bigger NPC battlegroups won't cost you millions. Plus, all the contrails from the missiles screaming towards their victims looks fantastic :0D

So what's your opinion on using them in PvP?

Swarm Missiles - Nightfall - 06-26-2006

Hmm, I look at the missiles as a cheap tactic, but... two good pilots having a 15+ minute fight... it's epic! :)
I think I might try using some... see how it goes...

Swarm Missiles - Badger - 06-26-2006

Exactly! The way I see it, if you can dodge an onslaught of rapid gunfire, what harm is a couple of extra heat-seeking missiles? ;0)

Actually for fighters, as it stands, dodging the heavy weapons head-on is fairly easy as they all tend to fire no faster than 600m/s. Leading a shot as you come out of a tight engine-kill turn against an opponent who is also strafing and afterburning is difficult even for the best pilots. This is where missiles come into their own, as they're only really effective against players in a head-on situation.

Perhaps fighters may have to adapt beyond this typical jousting style of combat somehow and fight to gain the advantage by tailing, similar to real-life aerial dogfighting. This is where guns take priority over missiles because they travel a lot faster, so a ducking and dodging enemy will be able to shake off most missiles but can still be peppered by guns.

Swarm Missiles - Vo - 06-26-2006

Swarms are my favorite weapon... Back in the day when I was still in Phantoms and the swarms had 3 timed the fire rate they did now. I had a Rhineland bomber with 2 swarms, and I loved it.

Anyway, on topic, I think that the swarm is not unbalanced, or unfair. The way I see it, the smarter pilot has and infinite amount of weaker missiles in back-up, that way, when his opponent runs out of missiles, you spam him with your swarms, and then blast him with the rest of your cannon balls.

Swarm Missiles - Firebird - 06-26-2006

The swarms look cool and I find when I was using them I could kill NPCs generally without lag. They're also a nice missile option for those that don't like running out of ammo.

However...in pvp I find that I ended up being lagged by an opponent who uses them :(. So IMO, the swarms are fine for killing NPCs, but for pvp challenges keep in mind they may be causing lag for your opponent. It diminishes the satisfaction of winning a fight when you know you only did it because of lag. My 2 cents.

Yeah, the lag effect Firebird is mentioning seems to appear... also from the chainguns... not sure though, I think there are more factors to that.

Swarm Missiles - Angel - 06-26-2006

I used to love swarms, back when they ya know......SWARMED, no there a Low Rate of Fire Missle with the name Swarm.......* sigh *

:lol: yeah, but if placed right... they are... still deadly.

Swarm Missiles - Dab - 06-26-2006

Actually you can use those missiles even when not flying head on at someone. All you need to do is be able to see the guy and hold the missile button. Eventually he will die. Which is why I have a problem with it in pvp. It lags the players AND its a noob weapon, for lack of a better name. If you match a average player with a great player the great player has a higher possibility of winning. Match a noob with chainguns and swarm and there is something like 80% chance he will kill the other person by sitting there and holding the missile button. The only possible way to avoid it is to do lots of engine killing and thruster in which case you can't shoot back effectively. Or to get behind the person, but then he will just engine kill and turn around and start shoot and doing it again. Thats my problem with it. Its a noob weapon. Fighters shouldn't have unlimited ammo weapons as no matter how weak they are still too good.

Swarm Missiles - Fellow Hoodlum - 06-26-2006

Angel's swarms ... Just like wading through an expensive firework display ... One wrong
step and you got seriously burned ... Mmm, don't miss that.
Just Supernovas like space dust now ... Even harder to avoid with remote detonation
happening all around you ... Nothings changed really.

Hoodlum :laugh: