Discovery Gaming Community
barge - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: barge (/showthread.php?tid=12411)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

barge - Jinx - 09-23-2008

first of all - tinkerbells concept is GREAT. - but if i am the only person that might work on it right now... i cannot finish it, cause i simply don t know how to separate faces and parts of a model good enough in milkshape - so i need the models in metaseq.

so - i remade the concept in meta.

[Image: barge.jpg]

the primary shape to concentrate on was indeed the train. - but instead of a transports bridge and a few habitational modules, i have added a large factory with processing modules found usually on space stations. - then there is an intermediete structure with large habitational modules - and after that, there is the command / bridge module that "thrones" over the ship ( the round console ) along with a docking port for medium sized ships up to freighters ( fake of course ) - the cargo modules are not containers like seen on the train, but huge cylincrical modules, as large as the round habitational modules seen in the default space station.

the whole ship currently has the height and width of a rheinland battleship with extensions exceeing that size so it will not fit into a tradelane ( a characteristic that was required ) - it would fit into a gate though. for those that are loving symetry - you won t like it. due to the size ... aesthetics are thrown away and i have just added modules where they are logical to be.... resulting in a ship that has no symetry at all - somewhat. its a ship that you could imagine to be "deployed" somewhere and then added modules to it to actually BECOME a stationary spacestation one day. - so its really less a ship and more a barely mobile facilty platform.

it will be 50% longer than a rheinland battleship - and so will be roughly as large as a medium sized space-station.

there will be two large engines propelling the ship forward attached to the hull like the trains ( in the front ) - i ll add another mooring fixture and will place a heavy lifter into the docking bay ( a simplified lifter but the size of the real lifter )

gonne add a few more details ( i think since such a ship won t get spammed, i can add many more polygons ) - and will play around with effects, too a little ( like fire effects inside the processing facility )

pesonally, i am NOT convinced a ship of that size has any practical use - and i foresee that it will not be used at all - but we shall see.

barge - Culebra - 09-23-2008

Junkers could use it as a mobile space station. We are kind of like space gypsies after all. :)

How well does it fly through asteroid and scrap fields?

so far i had one test run to "test" how large a "ship" can be before its simply impossible to move around anymore. - so far.... if you have the patience to move a rheinland battleship through the maldava cloud in gamma - you will be able to move this ship, too. but you will need a lot of patience.

some systems will NOT be accessible at all - and some systems might result in the ship getting stuck ( if you jump into asteroids ) - this ship cannot turn around as the hitbox a simply and very huge cylinder. - so you must have knowledge of where you want to go - you must NOT travel around too much - but rather decide where to deploy it - and you should have scouts to scout out a path for you - and in case you fail.... shoot you down so you respawn in a station again.

the best tactic with such a ship would be to deploy a fleet of smaller freighters that do the mining for you - and slowly fill up the barges cargo.

flying such a ship around is a pain - simple as that.

here is the good news though. - you cannot crash into a planet. - the ship is too large so that the "vulnerable point" cannot reach the "deadly range" of a planet:laugh:- but oyu can still burn in a larger sun.

so - this ship better stays close but outside of a scrap field. its huge. it feels as large as piloting a small moon... and i wouldn t like to fly it.

barge - Culebra - 09-23-2008

Lol ok. So its invincible :P

So you have a fleet bring it scrap them what? I mean if its hard to fly and dock what do you do with all that stuff you just mined? Tinkerbell is a nut for thinking this up heh.

barge - Dantrithor - 09-23-2008

That means... i will get one:D

another problem might be that....

if the faction IDs are changed and for example - zoners and junkers are limited to 4700 or so. - then the junkers were not allowed to use a barge if it carried 25.000.

leaving it to the trading cooperations which are - on the other hand ... not likely to use such a ship at all. -

about the docking ... well... yea... doesn t work well ( if you think of bornholm in 15 ) - might also make a compromise and make it a maximum transport ( but a normal transport ) at a reasonable size - but then, it would not be the concept of a "barge".

barge - Tenacity - 09-24-2008

Quote:for those that are loving symetry - you won t like it. due to the size ... aesthetics are thrown away and i have just added modules where they are logical to be.... resulting in a ship that has no symetry at all - somewhat

I prefer asymmetrical ships anyways =P

barge - AdamantineFist - 09-24-2008

' Wrote:another problem might be that....

if the faction IDs are changed and for example - zoners and junkers are limited to 4700 or so. - then the junkers were not allowed to use a barge if it carried 25.000.

leaving it to the trading cooperations which are - on the other hand ... not likely to use such a ship at all. -
about the docking ... well... yea... doesn t work well ( if you think of bornholm in 15 ) - might also make a compromise and make it a maximum transport ( but a normal transport ) at a reasonable size - but then, it would not be the concept of a "barge".

I forgot about those ID restrictions....

That's gonna make this one... tough... for most to use effectively.

barge - Seth Karlo - 09-24-2008

Well,

I love it.

The model I sent you was indeed far too simplistic, but I had never used metasequoia before... so I can be forgiven.

The size sounds perfect, and it looks great. Is there any way to create a Miner ID to go with this?

Seth

barge - Generation - 09-24-2008

I want it!!!! plain and simple.....