Discovery Gaming Community
New player - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: New player (/showthread.php?tid=124155)

Pages: 1 2 3

New player - Forze - 12-31-2014

I've played freelancer on & off since release, but it's been a good few years since i last played & wanted to play something more than
boring vanilla & in an active server with a good community, bear in mind the mod & all it's content is new to me, so i just explored
Pennsylvania & New York & kept myself to myself looking for some trades in a confined & relatively safe zone until i got used to the
controls again & adjusted to the mod content & the server play style/rules etc, within an hour of doing a couple of small runs i got
lane hacked & fired upon, guy looked like an npc as it showed him as a rouge & there was some npcs about firing, i tried to get back
in the jump lane only to be disrupted & shot at, to which i returned fire in defense but was killed with a full cargo.

Apparently im within the lvl parameters to be involved in pvp/rp but i feel this is bs to be fair, im a noob in a new trade ship with
nothing of real value & im getting raped by players who should know better to be fair, it's enough having to re-learn the game as
well as all the mod content, new ships, weaps, commodities, trade runs etc, ontop of this a large set of server rules & rp do's &
do not's, i was hoping the noobie starting system would offer me a small sheltered zone to re-familiarize myself with the game &
learn the new content/rules etc without being trolled, rp or not.

Without being overwhelmed with long & forum posts & rules, is there any post or resource towards a basic rundown of the mod
content & rules or a good guide to starting off please?

RE: New player - t0l - 12-31-2014

Rules are easy, just don't act a fool and you won't get banned.

The wiki, although outdated, is still full of information. Other things like FLStat and FLComp will tell you where things are and guide you on long journeys. I don't have FLStat or FLComp links right now, but a quick google search will fix that.
Did the guy speak to you and/or make a demand before he opened fire on you? If he didn't he's in a violation of the rules and you can file a report here. Screenshots can be taken with the Print Screen button or 3rd party software like Dxtory and Fraps, and the stickied thread will provide all the information you'll need.

[Angel] tagged characters can help you ingame, if they ever log. Use the [Enter] key by default to chat and the playerlist to find them.
Consider joining a faction like [ALG]. It's full of people who are wiling to help you.

RE: New player - Corile - 12-31-2014

I'd suggest watching my tutorial for a start.

Rules, in general, as Tal said are easy. Everything that doesn't fall under "don't act like an a-hole" is prompted every now and again by the console.

RE: New player - Gulryz - 12-31-2014

Welcome

RE: New player - Forze - 12-31-2014

Hi Thanks for the replies guys Smile
Tal i had already tried installed FLstat but it only showed vanilla planets/data? so i removed it thinking i couldn't use it with discovery,
can you advise on how i can get this to work with discovery fully please?
Thanks for the link Protégé, how did you improve/increase your resolution & ui, is there a graphics mod/update etc?

(12-31-2014, 01:30 PM)Forze Wrote: Hi Thanks for the replies guys Smile
Tal i had already tried installed FLstat but it only showed vanilla planets/data? so i removed it thinking i couldn't use it with discovery,
can you advise on how i can get this to work with discovery fully please?
Thanks for the link Protégé, how did you improve/increase your resolution & ui, is there a graphics mod/update etc?

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=98156
It's a graphic mod

thanks m8 Smile

if you use skype then contact me

RE: New player - Corile - 12-31-2014

I don't recommend swagpack, it's just plain ugly. If you want higher quality textures just install Starspheres (download the flmod pack, unzip with something like 7zip or winrar, put the contents to your DATA folder in Discovery directory and you're golden).

If you want better resolution simply download Discovery Launchpad, it has the option for it, or create a shortcut for Freelancer on your desktop and add -dx to the target line.

As far as flstat is concerned, go to Settings -> Freelancer Location... and pick Discovery rather than vanilla. Same for flcomp.

(12-31-2014, 02:03 PM)Protégé Wrote: I don't recommend swagpack, it's just plain ugly. If you want higher quality textures just install Starspheres (download the flmod pack, unzip with something like 7zip or winrar, put the contents to your DATA folder in Discovery directory and you're golden).

If you want better resolution simply download Discovery Launchpad, it has the option for it, or create a shortcut for Freelancer on your desktop and add -dx to the target line.
thanks for that m8, out of curiosity which version do u use? Smile

(12-31-2014, 02:03 PM)Protégé Wrote: As far as flstat is concerned, go to Settings -> Freelancer Location... and pick Discovery rather than vanilla. Same for flcomp.
i tried that but it failed, ill have another go as ive obviously done it wrong