Discovery Gaming Community
A New Era - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Official Player Factions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+---- Forum: Bretonia (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=74)
+----- Forum: BAF| (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=124)
+------ Forum: Archive (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=657)
+------ Thread: A New Era (/showthread.php?tid=124241)

A New Era - AlphaWolf215 - 01-02-2015

It was a cool autumn afternoon on Planet New London. On the edge of Buckingham City, Wellington base was bustling with activity. In the courtyard outside, many officers and soldiers from all branches of the Armed Forces stood ready.

From Her Majesty's Army stood many soldiers from battalions. They wore the standard dress uniform of their regiments and homes, with the Royal Guard of the city marching around the perimeter of the complex. Wearing their red coats, rifles balanced against their shoulders, tall black bearskin caps sat upon their heads.

From the Royal Air Force, Pilots stood beside their respective wing leaders, along with assorted control and coordination officers. They too stood in their dress uniform, berets placed upon their heads.

From the Royal Navy, both Nautical and Spatial branches, stood the Enlisted men, Officers, Captains, and assorted members of the "Civilian corps" (The cooks and merchants aboard the ships).

At the front of the arranged men and women was a raised platform. Upon this platform sat the Admiralty Board of Bretonia, the Commander of the RAF, and Lord General William Saage of Her Majesty's Royal Army. Alongside them sat Lord Jarrow, current Minister of Defence to Bretonia, and Chief Superintendent Nigel Hutchinson of the Police Authority.

Her Majesty's Royal Marines Corps of Drums played the famous 'Land of Hope and Glory', as well as the National Anthem, they stopped marching, turning to face the pedestal also. The officers and soldiers standing across the courtyard were brought up to attention by the Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Ward. Once the parade ground was made ready and the soldiers had dressed off, Lord Jarrow stepped up to the podium to begin the ceremony.

Lord Jarrow stood still, gazing upon the people in front of him. Covered from his helmet - his eyes were quickly observing the situation - all those men and women were waiting for an inspiration, a speech that would bring only hope in their hearts and help them cease the mixed feelings of doubt. He knew now that hope is not enough resource to defend Bretonia and yet it was one of the these small acts of emotions that if powered enough could transform in "strength". Such power, as meaningless as it could be to some - is all that is needed from others. Bretonia was brought down to its knees to "beg" it's people to be brave and rely on hope. "For how long could we withstand that shame?" - he thought. Jarrow raised his hand to greet all those in front of him and begun his speech: "People of Bretonia, my brothers and sisters - raise your heads! I will not lie to you - Darkness is coming. The thunderstorm clouds are upon us and they carry only destruction. The mist, freezing our very bones is forcing us to thrill in desperation." - he paused - "But do not be afraid. The days of our suffering have been counted. Each one of you have done the impossible to preserve our nation and even more. The sacrifices we all have committed will not be in vain. My friends...there is Hope! There is always a ray of light piercing the darkness, clearing it from itself - from the evil within. In front of all this desperation we stand united and because of that we shall be rewarded for our cause is pure!! Our enemies fight for money and power but we fight for freedom - and that is the only righteous cause there is!! Would you break legs kneeling to those ready to enslave you and your children, remove us from the history like a rotten page from an old book? No...we will not be forgotten for we WILL survive!" - Jarrow halted for a moment, watching the faces of those close to him. Most of them were expressing mixed feelings of confusion, desperation and doubt. It was like the people knew what he was saying but were unable to do what had to be done. He continued. - "The winds of change are blowing in favour of our sails but they are all that we need. Change in terms of improvement and better understanding between one another. We all must change and become better if we are about to live any further. Our history will continue to change just like once it's time - a new fleet admiral must take the seat of command of the Armed Forces. Today the honor and the weight of this burden falls upon the shoulders of Michelle O'Brian. May she serve the Realm with her heart and walks upon the laws of Her Majesty with understanding and pride."

Lord Jarrow made his way back to his seat as the Officers and Soldiers applauded him. While he was walking across the platform, Commodore Brooks stood, she made her way towards the podium, and the waiting crowd before her. Charlotte cleared her throat.

“Good afternoon everybody.” She placed her piece of paper onto the stand ready to begin her speech. “I have not been in the Board so long, it was only a matter of weeks ago since I walked into my new office on H.M.S MacDuff.” She pauses to take a breath “However this day, marks a new era.” She paused for a moment letting the thought sink into the Soldiers minds. “You should be proud to be here, attending such a rare occasion, as am I.” She looked up at the vast number of people in front of her, they stretched back as far as she could see. “Fleet Admiral Michelle O’Brian is the bravest women I know. I have known her for enough time to realise this.” She looked down at the paper “I have no doubts in her that she will lead us into the dark, but only the light.” There was a pause “The Gauls will be beaten, and Fleet Admiral O’Brian is the person to take us there. However it is not all down to her, we have to be courageous, passionate and selfless in order to take back what is rightfully ours.” She straightened her deep blue beret. “She cannot do it alone ladies and gentlemen, Carina, Regina, Imperatrix.” Charlotte turned around and made her way back to the Admirals. Meanwhile the band began to play 'The Great Escape'.

As the military band finished their song, silence took over the parade ground as the next Admiral walked towards the podium. Admiral Reaser stood with the Ark Royal’s special black and maroon uniform and Cambridge’s Black and Amber beret at the stand putting both of her hands on the stand in front of her, waiting a bit before she started in order to catch some thoughts for her speech, as she had to improvise. She swiftly clears her throat, then starts her speech lively. “Carina, Regina, Imperatrix.” She pauses, looking around the yard at the present officers and pilots. “This is the motto that we stand for, our honor, our standards. our bodies are attached to this motto, it is the motto -that the new High Commander of the Armed forces- Fleet Admiral Michelle O’Brian protected and protects with her life and honor, ensure it keeps getting repeated and hailed in glory.” She pauses taking a quick peak at Fleet Admiral O’Brian with a slight smile before resuming “I might have not known the Fleet Admiral for long, nor have been in the Admiralty Board for a long time as Admiral Hall. But I am bloody sure that the Fleet Admiral is no less than Admiral Wildcat, and Sir Firmus Piett. Fleet Admiral O’Brian will guide us and Bretonia to a new Bretonia, where we are victorious against the invading Gauls.” She pauses looking calmly at the officers in the yard. “But there is no Queen to exist without her people, There is no Fleet Admiral without his or her troops. For that she is the Queen and we are her pawns to fight for her as she commands us throughout our battles. We, my dear comrades, brothers and sisters-in-arms are the key to Bretonia’s victory, and Fleet Admiral O’Brian is the shining light to guide us to the lock that is keeping us away from our cause.” She calmly hits her fist on the podium. “Do not despair my fellow Bretonians, Have faith in our beloved Queen and Fleet Admiral, and we shall pass this harsh time we are going through.” She pauses lifting her head up. “Carina, Regina, Imperatrix” Giving a salute to the officers in the yard, before moving slowly back to her seat.

Admiral George Richard Hall’s somber, contracted grimace, in a way resembling a tectonic formation that is stating its opinion about being climbed on, drilled for precious resources, having a lot avaricious, bureaucratic institutions build upon it, having to listen to yodeling every day and alike -- is reflectively staring at the floor. At least he looked reflective. George might just have not liked the music, or he was intentionally displaying his discontent for being left last. Or, he had simply eaten something bad recently.
George was not as bleak at the beginning, although his uniform was slightly wrinkled, as if dressed with haste and without much care. He had appeared with his hallmark strict, vain posture, which he managed to maintain for some time. But the flagitious flame in his lentils became more and more alike to mountain myst, until it seemed that his thoughts were focussed on something entirely different from the currently held speech, or anything around. More and more looks were being directed at him instead of at the orator. “That man is going to trot out something wise”, the crowd thought. As the tension built up, the orator was finished and met with an applause, although most of the audience was now fixed at Hall.
He sluggishly approached the stand, in utmost silence. The slow beat of his solid soles echoed off the hollow, deployable stage. If someone watched closely, they could have noticed that George was slightly limping.
He brought the microphone closer, making a short, annoying creak.

“They will be defeated.”
After that, he walked off the stand and returned to his seat, limping barely noticeably. The confused silence was only interrupted by one quiet, ungraceful howl of his bowel.

As Hall sat upon his seat beside his fellows, Michelle closed her eyes. Taking a deep breath, and exhaling through her nose, she stood, making her way towards the podium, placing a hand either side. She looked down at her notes, taking another deep breath. The crowd, eagerly, held their breath in suspense. Michelle looked up.

“To all assembled here today, I thank you. I must begin, by thanking my comrades here, within the board, of old and new. Thank you, for your kind words. I am humbled to have been the recipient of such faith.”

She bowed her head to them as a show of thanks. She turns back to address the crowd assembled before them.

“But I am also thankful to every one of you. Every last individual. We sit up here, as the leadership of our armed forces, but it is not us who makes a difference. No. It is you. You fight upon the frontlines, day in, day out. You bear witness to the atrocities of those who would befoul this great, and proud nation. If it wasn’t for each and every one of you, we would never have held our own, we would never have won those many battles you all take a part in. No, without you, we would be nothing, so I dedicate my message of thanks to you, the officers and soldiers who hold this land.”

She pauses, taking another deep breath.

“Our Job within the armed forces is to defend the Queen, and protect the space Bretonia claims, and cares for, as it’s own. But we must recognise you do so much more than that. You defend your families, your homes. The people and places you love and care for most, which is why we must continue to stand against those who would take such from us!”

She is met by a cheer from the crowd.

“Now. Many of you are aware that I have stood in as acting Fleet Admiral for some time now, and unfortunately Miss Evyn Wildcat has taken the decision to extend her leave, thus removing herself from this position. I hope you all will join me in wishing her well. As such, this marks the beginning of a new period. Commodore Brooks was right, this is a new era, and I promise, I WILL fight by your side. You will no more be left upon the front lines, but will be supported by the full might of the joint forces command. Today marks a new day, and I promise to lead you into more prosperous times. We will fight through these dark days, and dark days they are ladies and gentlemen, but we will struggle through them together. Today I take the mantle of leader of the Armed Forces, and begin our path to freedom! Carina, Regina, Imperatrix!”

She thrusts her fist into the air above her head, officers standing to join her. Some of the soldiers in the crowd can be seen pumping their fist into the air as they repeat the motto. She gives them a few moments, then indicates they calm.

“Okay.. okay. You have heard enough from me, about me and my plans for the future, but now I wish to turn my attention to you. You do so much for Bretonia proper, that I am enacting shift rotations to the end of the January. Whilst the war presses on, it will be taken in turns between to you to cover over this month. It will serve as your festive period. This will allow you time to rejoin loved ones. I will also be conducting investigations into medals. I will hold a further ceremony in celebration of those who we award medals to. Congratulations Ladies and Gentlemen. You have all done your country proud.”

She salutes to the men and women assembled before her. You hear the loud click of boots hitting together echo around the courtyard. It is an overwhelming experience, and Michelle utters two words.

"Thank you."