Discovery Gaming Community
How to roleplay? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: How to roleplay? (/showthread.php?tid=125017)

How to roleplay? - Zayne Carrick - 01-22-2015

Yes, I'm here for 3 years. Yes, this's serious thread.
And yesterday I've realised I don't know how to roleplay as a character. Not a secret, that I'm flying as a hessian mostly. But my character in the past and present... he's not alive, just a Hessian in the past and The Hessian now. He doesn't have favourite color or bar where he's used to drink after hard flights or his own beliefs or whatever else, which makes a character real.
And here's another question, won't a real character think he's in galactic madhouse?
I mean, half of persons one'll met would say 2milordai/don't speak english sorry/some other nonsense. Characters are not afraid of death here, because they would always be resqued by next patrol. By some reason people're going into pirates despite trading is far more profitable and safe.
So, here's the question I want you to answer. What assumptions on Freelancer Lore should be made, so most of things a character sees would be reasonable?
Example(but bad one): people are pirates because there's special caste of pirates you cannot exit. Noone speaks about castes because that's tabu.

RE: How to roleplay? - HuggieSunrise - 01-22-2015

The first step is trying other points of view. other factions. Other ideas of what the mod has to offer. It can take three years to get comfortable but how and what you really play is a constantly changing thing. Lul's withstanding if you met a guy on the street babbling and talking nonsense. .. Well all you have to ask is what would you rightly do?

Characters can be numerous rp can be multifaceted and complex. Or it can be gloriously simple. Just do as in rome. err disco.

RE: How to roleplay? - Zayne Carrick - 01-28-2015

>Discovery RP 24/7
>How to RP?
>1 week passed
>1 answer

OK

RE: How to roleplay? - Sylvie557 - 01-28-2015

I mean I don't really know what else to say on creating an actual character other than just thinking about a character you want to create and creating him. You don't need to have every piece of his personality set in stone from the get go but think of a few key points that you want your character to have and then add more as the need arises. Also a good tip is to remember that your character doesn't need to be super interesting when you first create him because you can use interaction with other characters ingame or on forums to help shape your character as you go.

RE: How to roleplay? - nOmnomnOm - 01-28-2015

This is the same as asking the question:
How to write a novel.
or
How to write a story.

Seriously a question like "how to RP" shouldn't really be too hard. Have you been asked to write a story in school before? Have you ever made a character before... just thought up a person?

there are more than 6 billion people living on this earth right now. endless possibilities of characters that can be made. Just think of something to go with it and when you RP just put yourself into the character's position and say "what would he/she do?"

there is also some do-s and Dont-s.

such as RPing an anime character that screams HEINTAI and BAKA BAKA (true story i saw a person do that and face palmed)

or a person that is 1/2 human 1/2 animal. There exists other places of the internet for that.

Want some tips? :
What does the character look like?
Music?
Personality? Kind, aggressive, mean, polite...
Goals?

RE: How to roleplay? - Ellie - 01-28-2015

Here's a good guide for setting up a role play character --> http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=79841

As for actual role play, I not very good or experienced, but I find that if you think of a character you know well (from a TV series, movie, book etc.) and try to react to situations in a way they would kind of helps.