Discovery Gaming Community
Theoretical - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Theoretical (/showthread.php?tid=125742)

Theoretical - Croft - 02-05-2015

[dir=ltr] [/dir]Log Entry #0001
“Haruo Kimura here, and this is first log entry onboard my new home for the foreseeable future, the...erm. What did Miko call this thing?

The Kaga...ku. She named the ship Science? Out of all the names everyone was pitching, she went with Science. I should’ve known.”
*Sigh*

“Moving along.

I’ll be using this log to document my findings and evaluations of this new ship configuration in the hopes that this little freighter may one day inspire an entirely new generation of scientists to take to the stars, no longer shackled to a desk or scrapping for a place aboard a seldom funded survey mission. Maybe not with it’s creature comforts, which I’d like to go on record of saying are sparse verging on non-existent but with the possibilities that a mobile laboratory could offer.

Speeches aside, I realise this is just a testbed guys but it could be a little bit more comfortable. A nicer chair, a more comfortable bed and a bit of paint on the walls, just a few small things to that’d make it look like somewhere you could live and work, not just a metal box in space. Oh and thanks to Yuichi for the 'research material' he hid under the controls, not the kind of heavenly bodies I was talking about but thanks all the same.

On a more positive note, the scanner systems are working better than expected. I’m looking at...where did I put it? Ah here it is! Yeah, about 12% more resolution than lab figures projected on the intensive scans, long range scans not so much. I’m not entirely sure what’s causing the problem but I think it may involve the navigational scanner or possibly the emissions from station reactors. I’ll run some tests when I arrive in Honshu.”
Privately I'm just thankful it didn't blow up, I can't help but feel I'm flying with some sort of bomb taking up two thirds of the ship.

Er, I don’t know what else to say really, I'm simply amazed; I'm amazed at all the work the engineering guys put into this. Amazed that professor Tasamoto managed to get the go ahead to build it. I'm amazed just to be out here if I'm honest.
No one thought I'd have the courage to risk everything to fund this project, selling my flat and my shuttle, emptying my savings. Everything. Gone.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have any doubts, I still do. It'd only take one failure, one glitch, one flaw that'd send me back to New Tokyo permanently. Back to a life of stagnation, rifling through thirty year old survey data hoping for some shred of proof to validate my theories. At least I've got a chance to do something out here, even if it's just proving that small science ships can be cost effective. 

I'll check in again when I arrive at Honshu.

Harou signing off.”

RE: Theoretical - Croft - 03-09-2015

Log Entry #0002
“Harou here, my initial plan to run some test in Honshu met with some unexpected issues, such as the complete power failure that left me drifting past Shinagawa and almost colliding with a gas miners ship.

After an inauspicious return to the Institute and a solid month of tinkering I’m back in space, specifically Honshu, just outside the tradelanes of planet Honshu in fact, and I’ve just finished running my final test on the long range scanners.
I’m not actually scanning for anything in particular, I’m just collecting background interference to base a filtration program upon which should clarify the scans significantly.

Once this is done I’ll be heading to the Munich system to investigate what I can regarding the disaster. The reports I’ve found lay the blame squarely upon jump drive and gate experiments somehow resulting in an eccentric orbit in the smaller of Munich’s stars which in turn caused a stellar ejection, damaging the station Augsburg.
I’m intrigued by how those experiments could alter the orbital path of a star. What was their intended purpose? Why did it only affect the smaller star? And what caused the residual radiation? The radiation is especially puzzling given its persistence, a mass ejection leaves no trace of ionizing particles beyond it’s initial blast, it simply doesn’t make sense.

I’ll see what I can discover when I arrive, signing off.”