Discovery Gaming Community
Discovery Bridges [Feedback Thread] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Discovery Bridges [Feedback Thread] (/showthread.php?tid=125797)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Discovery Bridges [Feedback Thread] - FallenKnight - 02-06-2015

First, thank you for the support about my project, which is now included in the mod. I hope you like the bridges I've made for all of you to use. If you have any issues or bugs, post here - this thread will be for feedback now. Share your ideas here which might be used when I finish the remaining bridges.

- The patch notes states "capital ship bridges" but such cockpits for most traders were also included. (Houses have specific, while the not finished ones - "generic")
- As most of you've noticed some ships are using "Generic" bridge. This is like a blanket and is not a final version for this ship.
- BHG/Unlawful Factions are next on the schedule, followed by "Colonial/Coalition/Zoners" (distant factions).

Final "clean" versions:
Civilian Trading Bridge
Liberty Navy new bridge
Armed Forces new bridge
Military new bridge
Naval Forces new bridge
Royal Navy new bridge
Council new bridge
Illuminated monitors comparison

Ships in the mod that have bridges of their own:

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - Rebirth - 02-06-2015

I like the idea a lot, I've suggested to add custom cockpits already in the past but no one had the time/knowledge to make them possible until now as it looks like.
However, I think this will also face some problems. One of the commoner would be the FoV for CapShip remastered cockpits. When you have a libdread, you want to see a lot of the bridge, the problem is : How can you give the player enough of the cockpit and have at the same time enough sight to fly your ship? As usually in every movie & co, not the captain is flying but a pilot that is closer to the front on the ship. So what we are going to be, the captain (that is more middled in the cockpit) or the pilot of the capship ( that sits more near to the front ) ?

If we would not get enough sight to fly our ship actual, this would be ( sadly ) pretty useless. One of the main functions of this game is, as everyone should know, to fly around. Well, personally I wouldn't mind sitting around in my cockpit just next to planet manhatten and looking at the wonderful bridge. But that is my opinion.

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - FallenKnight - 02-06-2015

@Rebirth, good points but I don't know if a lot of people are actually using cockpit views in capital ships during battle because of turret view (zoom) options. Also from pvp point of view anyone would agree its best option to simply hide it until the match is over. (Some ships like liberty cruiser are definitely in need to switch cockpit view to fire more accurate shot and would not want to observe their pretty bridge at this time)

I see what troubles you is the view screen for the pilot. I've been using some custom cockpits before and some of them had bad camera placement so 80% of my screen was "bridge" interface, consoles and etc - "useless" stuff. My goal is the "bridges" to be like current cockpits (clean) but to correspond to the ship they are placed upon. For example the armored transport one have few windows and "ramps" crossing the view screen - the less the better. Camera placement can always be adjusted in the end at best as possible.

What would bother me now is if people would be willing to take part instead of the issues which would concern a complete cockpit. Smile

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - Rebirth - 02-06-2015

I've just found out, that you can disable the cockpit in the Options, this would solve the problem. It looks a bit strange, but should do it. At least no need to worry about this but other problems will remain however (;

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - FallenKnight - 02-09-2015

After 3 days of learning and experimenting at my best I am happy to show you some results. Here is an example of what I had in mind. This is the bridge of the bretonian battleship. For those wondering what are they looking at check this preview to see where its originally being placed (the yellow circle).
I've created 3 consoles: Middle one is acting like holographic projection of the system you are currently operating (1 sun, 1 planet only for now). Instead of wrapping some kind of interface textures on the remaining two consoles, what came in mind was to use the original freelancer UI (left one for scanning and right one for weapons information). So I did an attempt to focus these 2 consoles to be exactly behind the "interface". Like you see they are not accurate at all yet but still looks nice. Will be fixed later ofc.

There are few more tweaking for this bridge (without the visible bret bs ship part) to be done and from then on I will start making first House military specific ship-combo bridges (gb/cr/bs). They will be using this layout BUT - House original textures. Also the ship visible part will be of course corresponding to the ship you are using. Once the Military is done I will start on all "trading" vessels (civilians) and ofcourse all pirate factions (casts/sairs etc...)
I hope the "pilot view screen" is huge enough and yet containing parts of the roof/floor and visible ship side. If nobody complains will leave it at these meters.

----Request for Military faction leaders first----
Some ships have few locations for a possible bridge. If you would like the bridge to be elsewhere from where it would be obvious to be - notify me here by posting info where to move it. I fully understand that these things wont affect PVP at all but they are supposed to give the player a feeling of being inside its actual ship, see what usually would've been seen. (Also when Rp-ing its better be inside than outside right? Smile )

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - Fluffyball - 02-09-2015

Sometimes people are keen to use cockpit view for one reason, which as capability to roll during battle (but it mostly applies to the snubs).

However, it would be great, if people were given a chance to do their RP from the cockpit as well (e.g. doing photos).

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - Connor - 02-09-2015

The current cockpits we have are boring, plain and no fun. I think we should introduce this and I'll nominate Fallen to do the work (:

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - FallenKnight - 02-09-2015

Post 1 updated with all Liberty Naval bridges. Check it out or click here

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - Pancakes - 02-10-2015

(02-09-2015, 12:58 PM)Snoopy Wrote: The current cockpits we have are boring, plain and no fun. I think we should introduce this and I'll nominate Fallen to do the work (:

But they are awfully useful for quickdocking.

RE: [project] Disco special custom cockpits - Big_B - 02-10-2015

(02-09-2015, 08:07 PM)FallenKnight Wrote: Post 1 updated with all Liberty Naval bridges. Check it out or click here

Looks like the bridge is missing the two parallel metal beams. You can see them here on the bridge window
http://discoverygc.com/wiki/images/a/a6/Li_cruiser_s.png