Discovery Gaming Community
Sibling Rivalry - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Sibling Rivalry (/showthread.php?tid=126517)

Pages: 1 2

Sibling Rivalry - Omi - 02-21-2015

Marisa checked her phone for what felt like the hundredth time. Of course, her notification queue was still empty. Leave it to Mal to leave her out in the cold - in every sense of the word. This side of the planet was deep in the clutches of winter - even as urbanized as the planet was, and even though heat levels had risen accordingly with the massive influx of industry and commerce that human habitiation entailed; it hadn't been nearly enough to disrupt the fierce seasons that nature brought with her.

Sighing, she slipped her phone back into her pocket, rubbing her hands together for warmth as her breath misted in the cold, winter Manhattan air. An uninspiring locale at the best of times, the mostly-urban planet held even fewer attractions in its winter-side areas. Still, this district was one of the nicer ones, the buildings and roads here elevated above the smog-choked, polluted lower levels. Some of the bars here even sold things other than Liberty Ale. That, in turn, boded well for the café she was standing in front of - their planned meeting point. Apparently, it had garnered excellent neural net reviews.

"The hell is he?" she muttered, running a hand through her messy blonde hair in frustration. As usual, her brother had a knack for both irritating and worrying her, even when he wasn't immediately around - not that she didn't take it in her stride. After all, that was just part of having family.

Scowling, Marisa leant back against the brick café wall behind her. Five more minutes, she decided. Then, if there was no sign, she'd give him a call and see what was wrong.

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Miaou - 02-22-2015

His left hand gripped his left arm, slowly trying to rub out the massive bruise that sent pain searing down his body. Malachy shook his head at his luck. He was called to launch in a fight that wasn't exactly fun. If only patrols started and ended without action.

He probably looked like a mess to anyone he passed. He was wearing a slightly over sized off-duty jacket and simple officers pants. On his face was a large medical gauze that covered a cut on his brow, and it was clear he was beat up as he limped slightly as he jogged down the path. Despite how he looked, he was really happy. He hasn't seen his sister properly in months.

He rounded the corner and saw his sister a few shops down. He quickly stopped and backed around the corner. He straightened the jacket that wrapped around him in the cold and tore off the gauze from his head. It was a small scratch anyways.

He stepped around again calmly and tried to hide his slight limp. As he got within range he called out.

"Sis!"

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Omi - 02-22-2015

Glancing up, Marisa's face seemed to flicker quickly through a spectrum of emotions. On one hand, her brother was a sorry sight - 'dishevelled' just about summed it up. On the other hand, the joy in his expression was more important than anything else. It was as if, all of a sudden, she had become acutely aware of just how much she'd missed her brother.

"Hey!" she called in reply, pulling her brother instantly into a powerful hug. It had been months - almost a year, in fact; and it wasn't even as if she'd expected it to end this soon. In fact, she hadn't expected to see her brother again for even longer. The news of his return had been a surprise - and if she was honest, she still didn't know how she felt about it on the whole - but right now, she was only thinking of the positives.

Finally releasing him, she took a step back, gazing at him critically. "Jesus, Mal," she tutted. "You look terrible. What the hell've you been doing?" Her voice was tinged with relief and worry, in equal measure.

"What happened to your head?" she frowned, eyeing the gash on her brother's head with distaste. "Where'd you get that cut?"

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Miaou - 02-22-2015

He enjoyed the embrace of his sister, it made everything feel like home. The familiar smells, the style of the hug, everything felt like it was alright. It really brought him back to Leeds, the fun times he was able to have growing up. His sister always looked after him, be it bullies or some minor problem. She was his guardian, and he felt he could do anything with her looking over him. It was empowering.

That was until she mentioned how he looked.

"I uh, well. As soon as I got back I was put back on active duty..."

The mention on how much of a punching bag he resembled instantly threw his confidence into the gutter. He wasn't a good pilot. He saw people dying before his eyes without able to help. He didn't exactly have much going for him in life. This caused his shoulders to slump and his chin to attach to his chest.

"I got launched into space during combat, and you saw that freighter..."

The thought of that burning ship really did a number. He wasn't able to really respond as he kept perimeter during the tow back to Norfolk. While it was finishing it's repairs, he requested to dock as due to how mentally shaken he was. The warm presence left him. He didn't want to cry again, but he could feel the salty water bubbling around his eyes.

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Omi - 02-23-2015

Marisa's heart twisted, and she grit her teeth. She really could have done without remembering that freighter. God knows what the recovery crew had seen - let alone the poor survivor whom she'd heard screaming and shouting from within.

"We all saw it," she said weakly, feeling utterly useless. "There's- at that point, Mal, there wasn't anything we could have done." The phrase felt so cliché that it hurt, but she had no idea how to otherwise console her brother. In fact, she almost felt like she could do with consoling herself.

"Look," she pressed on, placing her hands on his shoulders and making firm eye contact. "There's no use dwelling on that any more - all right?" Clearly, she was making an effort to sound both reassuring and firm, but even she could tell that it wasn't really working. "All we can do is try an' stop anything like that ever happenin' again as best we can. Y'hear me?"

Sighing heavily, Marisa gave her brother a gentle tug on the shoulder. "C'mon. It's freezing out here," she mumbled, leading the way into the building.

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Miaou - 02-23-2015

The inside of the cafe was a much warmer, comforting place compared to the bitter cold outside. He felt better indoors. His sisters little speech wasn't that great at reliving his sadness, but the warm lighting and smooth, easy colors really gave a welcoming feeling.

Malachy changed his mood and dragged Marisa to the pastry display as if he was much younger than he actually was. He looked at his sister and flashed a joyful smile.

"Two Waldorf puddings please!"

Mal always had a sweet tooth, though he never really had the chance to glutton himself in them. He also ordered a glass of milk then went to grab a booth while Marisa ordered. The booth was near the windows in the front, as he enjoyed looking out at the walkways and see the frosty outdoors.

Before his sister even got close to the table, his voice squeaked, "What's on your mind, sis? I know that we should have met, but I didn't think you'd want to come to a fancy pants cafe like this unless you wanted ta' talk about something."

He didn't really wait for her to sit down or respond, as the dessert in front of him was too much for him to handle.

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Omi - 02-23-2015

Marisa stared into her dessert - which, being a class above normal Manhattan cuisine, had the common courtesy to not stare back. Had there been any particular reason for her wanting to catch up? The answer to that seemed obvious.

"I just missed you," she muttered, watching as her brother annihilated his cake. The sight brought a genuine smile to her face as she set to work on her own - though her approach was markedly neater and slower. Being the pudding maniac of the family had always been Mal's title - a title he showed no signs of losing any time soon. It was a nostalgic sight.

"It's just - what made you come back, Mal? I know you're happier outta the cockpit than in it." The question came a little later, after a brief pause wherein Marisa had scooped off a portion of her pudding. "We both know that. Mal, you don't have to feel like this- like doin' this is something you have to do." She had said as much over a year ago - and, truth be told, she expected his answer to be the same today.

Thankfully, she found herself spared from further explanation by the arrival of the tea she'd ordered. Even that looked halfway decent - no small achievement for any Libertonian café, let alone a Manhattan one.

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Miaou - 02-23-2015

A pleased look flashed between bites of the sweet meal. He barely registered her main reason for wanting to see him, which he paused only briefly to nod before going back at his sugary meal.

At the mention of the age old question of why he was in the position he is, he half thought of a response and half if he should order another pudding.

"Well," He started before licking the last of the pudding off of his spoon, "We both know the security detail for the refugees was only a temporary job, I'd have to come back."

Right after he said that, it hit him he didn't really have to come back. He normally ignored the reason why he was where he was and just went through the motions.

He finished off his pudding and washed it down with some milk. The tea arrived, so he waited to respond until she at least took a sip, "It's weird, you know? If I had to tell the truth we both shouldn't be doing this. We should be back on Leeds doing... something. We'll never know wha' the something is," He stopped to clear his throat with a cough and drink some of his drink, "Only when I was away did I kinda figure out that... that the 'something' was taken away from us. But you know, it ain't so bad. We weren't really royalty, and it's not like that changed, but here we can maybe get that 'something' back, right?"

He tilted his head down and looked at his glass of milk to avoid showing his face. His rambling didn't really say much. It wasn't easy to explain what even you don't know.

Still looking at the glass, he spoke up in a more hushed voice, "You're the only something I really have left. I'm not angry at the invasion for stealing our home, and I don't know why. I should be wanting to go after the invaders, I want to be angry and mad at them but I just can't." He coughed again but didn't take his eyes off the glass, "It's like, I want to prove something? I don't know."

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Omi - 02-25-2015

Marisa was barely touching her food, pushing pieces of pudding around the plate with her spoon as she listened. Eventually, she spoke up, her voice low.

"We shouldn' be back on Leeds, I can tell you that much. There's nothin' anyone can do planetside there. This here's the best chance we stand of actually gettin' our home back. No other force in Sirius's big enough or has balls enough to do it." Her expression could have been carved from stone, regret mixing with anger in a curious mix of emotions. "Th' Armed Forces sure as hell never defended us from anything, did they? Leeds's been under siege for years now, an' what have they done about it, huh?"

Her voice had risen as she had went on - now, she was almost shouting. Heads were beginning to turn.

"I don't know how you can't be angry at 'em, Mal," she continued, gritting her teeth. "Really, I don't. Sometimes, I'm scared I'll stop bein' angry at them too. Like- like all th' other stuff I have to do'll make me forget about it. Maybe I'm more Libertonian than Bretonian already. Feels like I fight Rheinlanders an' Rogues ten times more than I fight Gauls."

Glumly, she scooped up a mouthful of pudding and, finally, ate it. It tasted better than she'd expected - especially considering the locale. Manhattan was not renowned for its cuisine, but apparently every rough had its diamonds.

RE: Sibling Rivalry - Miaou - 03-05-2015

"F**k the Rheinlanders," he spouted. He quickly covered his mouth and looked around. A few people who were looking over from when Marisa raised her voice frowned at his language, but a few nodded. Seems the war gets to everyone. He slumped back into the bench and sighed. He's been trying to not grow angry due to this conversation but Rheinland was a sour note.

"Look, yah know I never liked to get worked up over stuff. That was your job. If I was to get worked up about every thing that happened to us I would end up some crazy murderer going after every person who so much as looked at me," he grumbled out. He tried to be aggressive in the past. His classmate showed him how poor of an idea that is. "All I want is home."

He grabbed his legs tightly, which made him wince in pain. He forgot about the bruises left from his shift. Still, he ment what he said.

He looked up to look at his sister again, this time with stern eyes. "You want to get back at the people who attacked us, right? All those who wronged us when we were young. But after you do, what then? What's your reward? What do you-" He broke off into a cough. He covered his mouth, but his eyes didn't change their glare. After the small fit was over, he continued, "What home do you care for then?"