Discovery Gaming Community
Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? (/showthread.php?tid=126539)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Mímir - 02-22-2015

Hello!

I'm a bit curious about cloaks, having recently bought one to try out in this update. I've only tried out the light one in 4.88, but if someone has experiences with other types of cloaks they are welcome to contribute.

So it seems like cloaks are impossible to counter. Even when CD'd, the cloaking process continues, and albeit CD's still track, you've got two more minutes to get your ship behind the CD'ers and cruise off. It hasn't failed for me yet, even when heavily outnumbered by skilled players, and I haven't managed to interrupt a cloaker either.

With missiles getting fixed, it isn't as vital to have a CM anymore if you can dodge a bit, which is another boon to cloak users.

What if a CD interrupted the cloaking process when not completely cloaked yet, so that the cloaker would have to start over? There's plenty of fuel on the small cloak for several attempts, but each attempt is likely to cost the cloaker some nanos as the shield drops. There's also still the jumphole/-gate trick, so if the cloaker can get to a gate/hole they are still pretty much safe, inb4 "why make cloaks useless!!?".

Surely it can't be the intention that a mere 100 million credit toy provides a "get out of jail free card" that works every single time? Or is there a trick to interrupting that somehow balances cloaking?

Discuss.

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Sylvie557 - 02-22-2015

Does the CD not interrupt even when the cloak is charging(when the shield is always down) or just once the disappearing animation is starting. From what I understand you are supposed to be able to interrupt the charging process.

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Mímir - 02-22-2015

Well I haven't successfully interrupted anyone, and I haven't been disrupted ever, in spite of getting CD spammed.

Is it a bug?

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Pancakes - 02-22-2015

I'm pretty much on the same boat as that.

Extend the cloaking time for snubs to 5 seconds, and make it so a CD hit during the cloaking up process will interrupt it.

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Zayne Carrick - 02-22-2015

Nah, just make light cloak charging time 10 seconds, not 2.
Problem solved.

And no, it can only be CDed before cloaking animation starts.

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Lythrilux - 02-22-2015

I think CDs have broken somehow. They seem a lot less effective at doing everything really.

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Sylvie557 - 02-22-2015

Honestly not sure, I always thought you were supposed to be able to interrupt the charging process with a CD. I do know once you see the fancy effects it is too late. Maybe do a few tests in Conn since you can /conn with cloak batts now.

If you can't interrupt I would say that is either a bug or should be changed.

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Fluffyball - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 10:44 AM)Lythrilux Wrote: I think CDs have broken somehow. They seem a lot less effective at doing everything really.

I second that. Train CD was unable to stop player few times, when I was sure his cruise should be turned off.

About cloak itself.... well. Can't really say anything, but if Cloak is to be easily CD-ed, loading time should be halved.

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - Corile - 02-22-2015

I'm gonna share a little experience from vanilla (HHC) here.
In there cloaking ships:
* are able to cloak for 100 seconds
* cloaking takes 20 seconds
* docking turns off cloak
* cruising turns off cloak
* thrusting turns off cloak
* getting cded turns off cloak
* getting missiled turns off cloak
* getting mined turns off cloak
* can only use up to class 8 guns (mind the nomad guns eagles flying around)
* didn't need fuel

So yes, please nerf cloaks.
Especially when someone just goes to a jumpgate and cloaks inside, without being able to cd him or do anything.

RE: Cloaks - should they be a free pass to getting away? - HuggieSunrise - 02-22-2015

Having access to every type of cloak I know before the update they were disputable. An event in liberty involving my oracle a cd would disrupt it during charge.

So obviously something not working as intended.