Discovery Gaming Community
Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines (/showthread.php?tid=12864)

Pages: 1 2 3

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Carme - 10-08-2008

This has bothered me for a great long time, and now, I'm going to try my best to put these Details out the door:

Civilian Line:
Naming Patterns: Ships are named after "Raptors" Birds of Prey
Hull Shapes: Resembling that of Birds with their wings spread.

Starflier Line:
Naming Patterns: Star-"ship" not a very defined naming pattern...
Hull Shapes: Greatly resemble primitive versions of the Civilian Ships.

Order Line:
Naming Patterns: Egyptian gods
Hull Shapes: Largely resembles Liberty ships, modified a fair bit, and with inserts of tech assimilated from across the galaxy. Colors include more Copper/Tan. Bulkier than Liberty ships.

Liberty Line:
Naming Patterns: That of "Protectors" ... i.e. "Patriot" "Liberator" "Defender" "Guardian"
Hull Shapes: Ships are Gun-metal grey and have "spread wings" feathery like a bird, capitals look like Submarines.

Kusari Line:
Naming Patterns: That of Mythical creatures, such as Dragons, Wyrms, Drake, Chimaera, etc.
Hull Shapes: Small, with large fin-like wings, with curved, smooth, "tapered" chassis.

Rheinland Line:
Naming Patterns: Names that of Spiritual beings, and Scandinavian/Norse Gods "Banshee" "Valkyrie" "Wraith" (Hessians): "Thor" "Odin" etc.
Hull Shapes: Heavily "Industrial" in design, patterns originate from German constructs during the second Industrial revolution of germany.

Bretonia Line:
Naming Patterns: Names of Mounted Warriors, "Templar" "Hussar" "Crusader" etc.
Hull Shapes: Resemble Underwater creatures, such as Crabs. Smooth, Sleek, with small wings, and have little "claws". although rather bulky compared to "Kusarinese" ships.

Corsair Line:
Naming Patterns: Names of Greek/Roman Mythological Creatures/Deities and Greek/Roman Warriors. "Titan" "Legionnaire" "Centurion" "Gladiator" "Praetorian"
Hull Shapes: Ships are brown, Rusty, and Bulky. Looks heavily armored.

NO BEARDS:
[Image: bountyhunterbattleshipzr7.png]

No Real-Life Airplanes:
[Image: screen51.jpg]

NO GOD-DAMNED SUBMARINES:
[Image: Death_Scythe.png]

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Tenacity - 10-08-2008

I'll only comment on the order here...

Ship designs are based on liberty ships, yes - but are generally more bulky looking, like they've got more muscle. The Osiris and Anubis/Nephthys also use a different hull color than liberty ships - they have a more copper/tan shade, as opposed to Liberty's gunmetal grey.

The new order ships that jinx has designed fit this very well, as does the new order bomber (not sure who designed that one... AoM?). Both are long, tubular designs that fit the liberty cruiser/battleship style - the ra gunboat on the other hand... not so much, it looks like it was designed by corsairs or junkers, both in hull shape and coloration.

I dont know if names have been selected for all of the new order ships yet, but here's what we have so far:
-Osiris (Current Battleship)
-Isis (NPC battleship/base)
-Apophis (NPC battleship/base)
-Anubis (current heavy fighter)
-Nephthys (current very heavy fighter)

The new bomber is dubbed the "Sehkmet" bomber, taking after the northern egyptian cat goddess, represented as a lioness and a very aggressive fighter/defender of the people.

I've got suggestions for the cruiser/carrier, but i'm not sure if they have names yet or not. In any case, I'll put them here:

Order Light Carrier - Should be called the "Hathor" class carrier. Hathor was a goddess of fertility and reproduction, and the idea of "spawning" fighters kinda fits a carrier well.

Order Reconnaissance Cruiser - Two possible names for this one: Amunet and Horus. Amunet was a snake goddess and represented the element of air. Horus was a falcon-headed diety and considered a shapeshifter-god. Both of these things would fit well with a cruiser designed for stealthy movement and scouting operatins.

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - AdamantineFist - 10-08-2008

I like Horus for the Recon Cruiser. Nice name. Hathor works quite well for the carrier, as well.

Kusari seems to use mythical creatures. Dragons, more specifically. Drake, Wyrm, Dragon. Chimera doesn't quite fit this, but it's still mythological. In terms of appearance, they are small, with large, fin-like wings, and have a curved, smooth, tapered chassis.

Bretonia prefers mounted warriors. Templar, Hussar, Crusader, Cavalier. As everyone says: fish. Their craft do have some resemblance to underwater creatures. Smooth, sleek, with small wings, although rather bulky when compared with Kusarinese ships.

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Carme - 10-08-2008

Hooray, I made a slightly controversial post and I didn't get flamed ^.^

I'll add stuff as I have time and have examined Ships and stuff for accurate assessments of their Vanilla Flavors.

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Rashnok - 10-08-2008

Well, Rheinland is predominantly Scandinavian, both the Hessian and Military line. We've got Lokis, Odins, Thors, Valkries, Banshees, Wraiths, Behemoths...

Rheinland ships are, in my opinion, more utilitarian. They're boxy, but still deadly and agile.

The Liberty line likes... "good guy" nouned adjectives? Stuff like Defender, Avenger, Guardian, Patriot, Liberator... yeah. Not really a good word to describe those.

Rogue/Molly ships are named after canines and look ugly.

Borderworlds Ships are named after bladed weapons and are angular and sleek (except for the Sabre and Falcata, really...).

Corsair Ships are named after Greco-Roman military and mythological things. Titans, Centurions, Legionnaires. They're... flat.

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Seth Karlo - 10-09-2008

Liberty is a person who stick's with their country:

Defender
Patriot
Guardian

Executioner and Avenger seem slightly strange Imo...

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Robert.Fitzgerald - 10-09-2008

The Liberty Navy ships are named after protectors, I'm fairly sure the Avenger and Executioner are LSF ships at heart. Different operating methods, different names?

I'd call Rheinland ships industrial. There's an adjective to add:)

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Doom - 10-09-2008

' Wrote:Liberty Line:
Naming Patterns: ***
Hull Shapes: *** will add later.

Hull shapes ... look at spread wings, it even have feathers as texture.
As for caps they are space submarine.

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Carme - 10-09-2008

updated some.

Guidelines for Expansions upon Vanilla Ship-lines - Bjorn - 10-09-2008

To add:

Bretonian ships indeed do look like crabs and alike. But their general design and texture is based on Steampunk idea. They incoorporate high tech with victorian and baroqe styling.
Model is is smooth, and engines seem to be detached from hull as whole. Textures are red, gray and gold. Naming of fighting ships are after different kinds of horsemen. Transports are named after horse breeds.

Rogue ships tend to look like they are made up from several parts. They are bigger and bulkier than rest. Also bigger ships show signs of rather temporary solutions for stability and alike, mostly in form of support beams that hold oversized parts. Texturing is rather bland, in gray with some red details. Fighting ships are named after canines, lower tier by regular, and higher tier by mythological ones. Transports are named rather mixed, but usually they are simply descriptive.