Discovery Gaming Community
replacement BHG battleship - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: replacement BHG battleship (/showthread.php?tid=12940)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

replacement BHG battleship - Jinx - 10-10-2008

i had posted a hybrid of nomad tech and BHG tech before, but the idea was a bit too much on the nomad side. - i reckon that the BHG does use nomad tech and they are deeply involved in nomad stuff - but probably not as much as to modify their ships with it so much.

so that is a convervative design concept.

[Image: BHGbattleshipv2.png]

as you can see, it abandons the idea of the vertical and very thin body and simply adds whatever is needed to the original destroyer shape. ( a thin hunchbacked ship ) - the result is a ship that is a lot more massive in all dimensions. - it does not feature the smaller capital ship engines anymore but large ones on the sides. - the bridge is a generous module in the front, giving the whole ship a much more horizontal look.

visible armour plates cover vital parts and create a tube-like shape. what i did not like about my former model was the similarity to the liberty BC and the liberty design. this concept is still a "compact" battleship ( i d say - roughly bretonia BB size and mass ) but not something fragile as an osiris.

i modelled two large fuel tanks to the outside of the ship to underline its independence from stations for deep space battles. - when detailing, i m gonne add a hangar i think ( an empty one of course )

the rondel on top of the ship makes the ship look slightly similar to the osiris, but i think its the only thing that looks like it. - having a round observation platform on a ship like a battleship comes pretty natural. - currently i m thinking of adding either lots of sensor arrays or maybe a satelite dish to the model.

the whole design is a bit "retro". its not as compact as a liberty dreadnaught nor as sleek as a kusari ship. its a lot rougher and looks more like something rheinland might have made in its early days. but it could easily be one of the older warship designs made by the BHG - slowly but steadily being replaced by the battlecruisers and the destroyers that are both, smaller and well armed and most of all ... a lot less expensive to produce.

well, gonne need some quick feedback on that concept. if its fine, i ll texture it tomorrow and will add it to the ships on the dev forum.

edit: the bridge design is similar to the new zoner juggernaut. - it fits in - and the BHG and the zoners have a lot in common ( mostly the stations in the outer regions - the BHG could have easily .... "borrowed" some parts of the designs of the zoner warships )

such a design would take away the very small profile of the BHG battleship and replace it with something more massive. - that way, it would counter the main enemy ( osiris ) with more armour, but less ability to outstrafe it from afar. - that might be more interesting than having two of the smallest battleships fighting a "who can dodge better at 3k" - fight.

replacement BHG battleship - El Nino - 10-10-2008

Perfect! Make it large! about Battlestart size...

replacement BHG battleship - Tenacity - 10-10-2008

I dont really like the "trashcan" on top, likely a command bridge... That's something pretty specific to order ships.

ahh - wont that piss off all the BHG battleship captains when i make it that large? - i mean, no prob with that, the other BHG ships are all tiny as possible... but if i make it "large" - we ll need to fully rebalance the whole thing - including armour and turning etc.

edit: @Tenacity - k, i can remove it and replace it with a sensor array.

replacement BHG battleship - Dopamino - 10-10-2008

The BHG is way up there along with the Order and the Outcasts as far as technology goes. Making it "retro" doesn't really fit with them in my opinion.

I see a lot of Rheinland and Bretonian influence in that model, but not much from Liberty - the house that should influence BHG designs the most.

Also, BHG ships are not spindly like this at all; they're bulky and tall.

Size-wise I would say make it just a bit smaller than the Liberty Dread... packs a wallop, but not as unwieldy.

@domapino: keep in mind that the BHG battleship has 14 turrets that can all fire forward. - and thats a characteristic of all BHG capships - their ability to charge enemies with every single turret blazing.

about the shape ... you really consider that ..spindly?

about the retro look - a lot of that can be fixed by using the typical BHG skin. everything in liberty skin get a somewhat hightech look. - the retro look comes from the outer tanks.. something you d not really expect on a new ship.

if they hurt the models appearence too much, i can remove them and replace them with maybe lifeboat systems or mooring fixtures ( whatever a battleship needs on its sides )

Quote:I see a lot of Rheinland and Bretonian influence in that model, but not much from Liberty - the house that should influence BHG designs the most.

I dont get why you'd want more liberty influence. The bounty hunter's guild may have originated in liberty but it has no bases there - the BHG guard system is off in the omegas near rheinland, plus they have a base in omega 15. They have their primary base for liberty/bretonia operations in manchester, and a base in shikoku for kusariberty operations (Even though they arent allowed in kusari anymore, by player choice).

If anything they should be taking a more bretonian/rheinland direction in design due to where they're basing out of.

EDIT:

Quote:The BHG is way up there along with the Order and the Outcasts as far as technology goes. Making it "retro" doesn't really fit with them in my opinion.

No, they arent. The guild doesnt have the scientists/researchers or facilities to develop advanced technologies like these other groups. That's WHY they are at war with the order - the BHG is trying to wipe the order out so they can take any technology developed by the order's scientists/engineers and adapt it to their own ships. They are no longer fighting for bounties placed by liberty, they're waging war against the order on their own.

replacement BHG battleship - Tic - 10-10-2008

It's a great model, but the front is bad. Also with it's lenght/width and current 360k armor it will be the worst
BB in game. Unless it's made like this but is about 3/5 of the Osirises lenght. Also send it to me please.

replacement BHG battleship - Tic - 10-10-2008

Also this is what i'v made with the one you sent me before.

[Image: capture058ni6.jpg]
[Image: capture059ci2.jpg]
[Image: capture060in2.jpg]
[Image: capture061zo7.jpg]
[Image: capture062yp1.jpg]
[Image: capture063um9.jpg]

Quote:Also with it's lenght/width and current 360k armor it will be the worst
BB in game.

Is that really such a bad thing?