Discovery Gaming Community
Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul (v1.0) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul (v1.0) (/showthread.php?tid=130992)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul (v1.0) - Goddess Astra - 06-25-2015

Freelancer Reimagined: v1.0

What is this?
For the last few years, I have slowly been switching out and remixing the tracks in Freelancer with music that I like, with the intent of replacing all the music that exists in Freelancer with new tracks. My ultimate goal was to create a music pack which could be used with the vanilla campaign to overwrite all the existing music cues (beyond the pre-mixed cinematics), and end with a musical narrative that is both coherent and interesting to listen to. After much searching, many replacements, a lot of work in Audacity, and stringent in-game testing, I feel that I have reached a point where this is releasable to the public beyond my own personal use.

The idea behind this music pack is to approach the existing atmosphere Freelancer provides in its music, visuals, and lore-based interactions and replace the original music with music that I feel either matches or compounds upon the tone that the former music placed. The intent is to add higher auditory fidelity; longer, more interesting tracks to listen to; and music which amplifies the mood of each system and the gameplay associated with it, creating a more immersive environment. As with the original game, all system groups share music with the same composer, and the same source where possible.

The music pack has been tested extensively on Discovery, and in large part exists with the roleplay and politics of Discovery in mind. Eventually, I intend to expand this pack to include all tracks from Discovery and all music cues that haven't yet been covered, including planetary touchdown cues, asteroid and nebula ambiences, and bar tracks. However, for the time being, the pack simply focuses on the actual music that's heard in flight.

How do I install the music pack?
1. BACK UP YOUR Discovery Freelancer 4.91.0\DATA\AUDIO FOLDER. I will not be held liable if you ruin your installation because you didn't follow this step.
2. Download the music pack from here. The download is very large at present, around 760 MB, and it will unzip into a total of 1.18 GB. Ensure you have the disk space before you download it.
3. Ensure that Discovery Freelancer isn't running.
4. Extract the ZIP folder to a location of your choice.
5. Within the music pack folder is a folder called DATA. Drag this into your Discovery Freelancer 4.91.0 directory. Overwrite everything.
6. The music pack should now be functional. Delete the ZIP folder if you wish, and play as normal!
7. If you wish to uninstall the music pack, all you need to do is extract your backed up AUDIO folder, and drag it into the Discovery Freelancer 4.91.0\DATA folder and overwrite everything again. The pack adds no new files, it just overwrites old ones.

If you want to install it to your vanilla game, replace all instances of Discovery Freelancer 4.91.0 with whatever your vanilla folder is called. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue, even with the presence of Discovery music tracks.

Complete track listing:
Liberty (Paul Schuegraf; Sins of a Solar Empire)
Space: Quiet 7
Danger: Trouble 2
Battle: Battle 1

Bretonia (Dolce Triade, Shuntaro Okino, Hitomi Kuroishi; Last Exile OST)
Space: Grand Stream
Danger: Complicated Decision
Battle: Vanishing Point

Kusari (Joe Hisiashi; Princess Mononoke OST)
Space: Mononoke Hime [Instrumental]
Danger & Battle: The Demon God

Rheinland (Jack Wall; Mass Effect 1 & 2 OST)
Space: The Normandy
Danger & Battle: Three-Headed Snake

Independent Worlds (Jeremy Soule; The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion OST)
Space: Auriel's Ascension
Danger: Unmarked Stone
Battle: March of the Marauders

Omegas (Richard Gibbs; Battlestar Galactica Mini-Series OST)
Space: The Lottery Ticket
Danger & Battle: Apollo to the Rescue

Sigmas (Mike Morasky; Portal 2 - Songs to Test By)
Space: There She Is
Danger: Almost At Fifty Percent
Battle: The Part Where He Kills You

Taus (Jamin Winans; Ink: The Complete Soundtrack)
Space: Who You Were
Danger: Numbers
Battle: Ink and the Storytellers

Omicrons (Paul Ruskay; Homeworld OST)
Space: The Great Wastelands
Danger & Battle: Swarmers Attack

Bar Cues
Liberty 01: Nocturne (NicolArmarfi; Katawa Shoujo Enigmatic Box of Sound)

Miscellaneous Music Cues
Anticipation (Light): Ink and Liev (Jamin Winans; Ink: The Complete Soundtrack)
Anticipation (Moref, Motiv): Baltar Speaks With Adama (Bear McCreary; Battlestar Galactica Season One OST)
Awe and Wonderment: Passacaglia (Bear McCreary; Battlestar Galactica Season One OST)
Danger: Wheatley Science (Mike Morasky; Portal 2 - Songs to Test By)
Dangerous Chase: Battle 2 (Paul Schuegraf; Sins of a Solar Empire)
Death: Nobody Knows (Motoi Sakuraba, Shinji Tamura, Akio Shimizu; Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World OST)
Discordant Psych: FrankenTurrets (Mike Morasky; Portal 2 - Songs to Test By)
Failure: Cut Apart (Darren Korb; Transistor OST)
Friendly Encourage: A Good Lighter (Bear McCreary; Battlestar Galactica Season 1 OST)
Mission 13 Hypergate Scene: Freedom Fighters (Two Steps From Hell; Invincible)
Nomad Ally Battle: Vs. Space Pirates (Kenji Yamamoto, Kouichi Kyuma, Minako Hamano, Akira Fujiwara; Metroid Prime OST)
Nomad Ally Danger: Space Pirates Approaching (Kenji Yamamoto, Kouichi Kyuma, Minako Hamano, Akira Fujiwara; Metroid Prime OST)
Nomad Dyson Battle: Vs. Metroid Prime (Kenji Yamamoto, Kouichi Kyuma, Minako Hamano, Akira Fujiwara; Metroid Prime OST)
Nomad Lair Battle: Vs. Essence of Metroid Prime (Kenji Yamamoto, Kouichi Kyuma, Minako Hamano, Akira Fujiwara; Metroid Prime OST)
Nomad Space: 14 [Unknown Track Name] (Paul Ruskay; Homeworld Cataclysm)
Race (Loop, Start): Don't Do It (Mike Morasky; Portal 2 - Songs to Test By)
Reveal and Exposition; Reveal Enemy Position; Upcoming Action (Heavy, Light): The Olympic Carrier (Bear McCreary; Battlestar Galactica Season One OST)
Reveal Challenging: Battle at Eden Prime (Jack Wall; Mass Effect 1 OST)
Reveal Contraband: The Part Where He Kills You (Mike Morasky; Portal 2 - Songs to Test By)
Reveal Special Myst: Karazhan - Tower (Russell Brower; World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade)
Solemn and Grave: The Calm (Tracy W. Bush; Warcraft 3 OST)
Stab Comedy: Out of the Loop (NicolArmarfi; Katawa Shoujo Enigmatic Box of Sound)
Stab Danger: Cylons Fire (Richard Gibbs; Battlestar Galactica Mini-Series OST)
Victory (Normal, Short): Victory (Ben Prunty; FTL: Faster Than Light OST)
Victory (Long): Heart of Courage (Two Steps From Hell; Invincible)

Space Ambiences
Debris Field: Debris (Explore) (Ben Prunty; FTL: Faster Than Light OST)
Edge Nebula: Sacred Gardens (Paul Ruskay; Homeworld OST)
Nomad Nebula: Cosmos (Explore) (Ben Prunty; FTL: Faster Than Light OST)

How do I report bugs?
If you find any bugs, please report them in this thread and I'll fix them ASAP. I would qualify the following as bugs, though this isn't an extensive list:
  • A track is too loud or too quiet.
  • A track has strange clicks or pops in it.
  • A track sounds discordant with the other music that plays around it.
  • A track loops strangely (e.g., the beat doesn't match up as it loops).
  • A track has a strange or abrupt volume change during play.
  • A track ends abruptly.
  • The music stops playing entirely.

F.A.Q.
Why is the music pack so big?
The issue with Freelancer's way of reading music is that it only reads WAV files, and WAV files are uncompressed music. The original music in Freelancer was some strange codec of MP3 that was disguised as a WAV, but I can't find any way to replicate it, so for the time being, the music is uncompressed. This means the file sizes are extraordinarily large. If anyone with modding experience knows a way to encode music in the way that the original Freelancer sound files are done, then I would love to hear it.

Why doesn't X track loop seamlessly?
For some tracks, I chose to leave them without looping, either because they're not typically played under circumstances where you're likely to hear the whole piece, the track didn't seem to need it to sound good in-game, or it would have been very difficult to make the track loop without butchering the music. If you think there's a track that should loop that doesn't, please let me know.

Why didn't you choose X song or X composer?
The music I chose is based on my personal view of Freelancer and Discovery, and an atmosphere I think works well during play and for narrative reasons. This doesn't necessarily mean it's the best option--it just means I thought it would sound good. I would rather not hear suggestions for new tracks, but if you think a track doesn't fit, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Are all these track selections final?
Most of them are. There may be some that I replace at some point or another, but that's more up to my personal whim than because they're placeholders at present. If I've included it in the release, then I think it's fitting enough for use in-game.

What if I only want music for one system group, such as Liberty or Rheinland?
If there's enough interest, I'll release versions that have individual system groups instead of every track in one folder, but for right now you'll have to find the individual tracks with the system names in them. They're not too hard to spot, and they're all formatted as music_x_x (e.g., music_liberty_space).

Why do some tracks have the same source material?
In these cases, I chose to draw from the same piece of music for multiple in-game tracks to maintain stylistic consistency, or because the piece was long enough and varied enough to use different clips for different occasions.

Can I listen to these online before I play?
Yes, I have compiled most of the tracks into a playlist here. Some of the tracks have been removed from YouTube for copyright reasons, namely all of the Bretonia music and the Kusari Space music.

Version History
v1.0: Release. Includes all system tracks, all miscellaneous music cues, and a few scattered tracks from Discovery, bar tracks, and space ambiences.

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Remnant - 06-25-2015

I've looked over this mod, and have confirmed that nothing will trigger Anticheat and end up with your account banned. This is safe to use.

You've caught my interest with this one. Usually I don't bother modding my client with graphical or audio stuff. I'll be giving this one a try!

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Gulryz - 06-25-2015

Is there any gun sound replacement?

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Goddess Astra - 06-25-2015

No, this is just music.

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Traxit - 06-25-2015

This looks really cool, i'm gonna try it out

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Rodent - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 07:40 AM)Iris Wrote: Sigmas (Mike Morasky; Portal 2 - Songs to Test By)
Space: There She Is
Danger: Almost At Fifty Percent
Battle: The Part Where He Kills You

Omicrons (Paul Ruskay; Homeworld OST)
Space: The Great Wastelands
Danger & Battle: Swarmers Attack

Miscellaneous Music Cues

Mission 13 Hypergate Scene: Freedom Fighters (Two Steps From Hell; Invincible)
Nomad Space: 14 [Unknown Track Name] (Paul Ruskay; Homeworld Cataclysm)
Race (Loop, Start): Don't Do It (Mike Morasky; Portal 2 - Songs to Test By)
Reveal Challenging: Battle at Eden Prime (Jack Wall; Mass Effect 1 OST)
Reveal Contraband: The Part Where He Kills You (Mike Morasky; Portal 2 - Songs to Test By)
Victory (Long): Heart of Courage (Two Steps From Hell; Invincible)[/indent]

Space Ambiences
Debris Field: Debris (Explore) (Ben Prunty; FTL: Faster Than Light OST)
Edge Nebula: Sacred Gardens (Paul Ruskay; Homeworld OST)
Nomad Nebula: Cosmos (Explore) (Ben Prunty; FTL: Faster Than Light OST)

These alone will get you my approval. Great selection.

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Fluffyball - 06-25-2015

It would be nice if people weren't forced to make Dropbox account to obtain the file, you know? It won't download unless you'll make an account.

Nevermind that. It popped out as soon as I finished the post.

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Goddess Astra - 06-25-2015

You don't have to register. Just X out from the pop-up and continue with the download.

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Major. - 06-25-2015

Im gonna try it out.

RE: Freelancer Reimagined: Complete Music Overhaul - Fluffyball - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 08:11 AM)Iris Wrote: You don't have to register. Just X out from the pop-up and continue with the download.

Ninja'ed my post already. Smile