Discovery Gaming Community
NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: NPC Faction Suggestion: AI (/showthread.php?tid=131321)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Sabru - 07-06-2015

Since the idea has merit, i've made a thread for it rather than continuing to hijack Snake's thread. I've also included a poll.

The question is simple: Do you think that the AI NPC faction should be redefined and broadened into a 'Synthetics' faction.

Addition 1: So, there have been several good ideas from a lot of different viewpoints on how to right and fix the AI faction as a whole and make it more interesting and inclusive. At this point the poll question is somewhat incorrect now, but is close enough to continue encouraging discussion in the right direction.

Kudos to Spazzy, for the name and simple description.

(07-06-2015, 10:47 AM)sindroms Wrote: "Synthetics"
"The Synthetics is a term used to describe individual or groups of non-living sentient or non-sentient beings operating within the Sirius sector."

RE: NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Swallow - 07-06-2015

I hesitate to decide. Does this mean that we gain one more IFF option? Will there be random NPCs like freelancer? Would it be Sirius-wide analogue of human freeancers?

RE: NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Oldum - 07-06-2015

Personally, I'd imagine it much more like the Freelancer ID , so it could be generally an ID to state that the ship/character is mechanical/syntehtic , while it could have the AI IFF , but could go with any other IFF if the RP behind it makes sense. So , as I wrote in Spazzys discussoin thread :

AI ID , BMM IFF + Mining fighter = RP of automated miming vessels, BMM could be cooperating with Agiera for testing, etc.

Or it could be used by a police faction ( Robocop anyone ? ), or by unlawful/terrorist organizations to perform tasts too dangerous for pilots to go in, or research vessels with the same reasons. I know it could be RPd with the current IDs , but having to tell everyone over and over again that my ship is not piloted by someone, it's actually flying itself ... meh ... it saves time for the actuall RP if the ID already stated that.

RE: NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Tokoloshe - 07-06-2015

Why do you need your own ID for this? You can RP as a "synthetic" using any existing ID. IDs are about permissions, not about the materials that your character is made of.

RE: NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Sabru - 07-06-2015

(07-06-2015, 11:50 AM)Tokoloshe Wrote: Why do you need your own ID for this? You can RP as a "synthetic" using any existing ID. IDs are about permissions, not about the materials that your character is made of.

But, could you imagine trying to explain your character inRP everytime you meet someone who just assumes things according to your ID? (and they are out there.)

If aboslutely necessary, and reading Echo's post in the other thread, supplant the entire AI faction/shipline/NPCs into a synthetic faction. That way, if people want to run an AI faction, they can RP as one and if they become official can then aim for their own ID. If someone wants to make a cyborg faction, they can do that as well. it would allow for diverse factions to grow and expand without compromising the NPC faction's tech/diplomacy/etc

i know its not a perfect analogy, but think of it like zoners. there's a generic restricted ID, and then the 2 factions have their own IDs with different permissions and restrictions. Just remove the FR5 ability.

I already see the fate of this idea, as @Echo 7-7 is kindly telling me that I suck at RPing if I can't tell people hundreds of times that the ship I'm flying is an AI and not an actual person. Or the other players suck at RPing if they can't understand that. That tells me quite a lot ...

Also, I wonder if anyone took a look at the current AI ID technerf ... basically, AI ships ( those 2 we have ) , or 1% powercore ...

RE: NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Antagonist - 07-06-2015

(07-06-2015, 12:41 PM)Oldum Wrote: I already see the fate of this idea, as @Echo 7-7 is kindly telling me that I suck at RPing if I can't tell people hundreds of times that the ship I'm flying is an AI and not an actual person. Or the other players suck at RPing if they can't understand that. That tells me quite a lot ...

Also, I wonder if anyone took a look at the current AI ID technerf ... basically, AI ships ( those 2 we have ) , or 1% powercore ...

You can fly the whole civ and bw shipline with the AI ID.
Other than that I totally agree with @Echo 7-7. It's quite similar to the way a Freelancer IDed nomad-infected RP. It rather belongs to the speech. Best would be create a global speech that automatically signifies "You are an AI." ::Greeting Miss:: has established quite well in general for example.
Just taking "Thallia Thorn" as a reference in here who does the AI RP pretty successful and enjoyable for anyone she encounters.

Beside that, what should happen to the official AI faction in this scenario?

(07-06-2015, 12:56 PM)Antagonist Wrote:
(07-06-2015, 12:41 PM)Oldum Wrote: I already see the fate of this idea, as @Echo 7-7 is kindly telling me that I suck at RPing if I can't tell people hundreds of times that the ship I'm flying is an AI and not an actual person. Or the other players suck at RPing if they can't understand that. That tells me quite a lot ...

You can fly the whole civ and bw shipline with the AI ID.
Other than that I totally agree with @Echo 7-7. It's quite similar to the way a Freelancer IDed nomad-infected RP. It rather belongs to the speech. Best would be create a global speech that automatically signifies "You are an AI." ::Greeting Mr. Sister:: has established quite well in general for example.
Just taking "Thallia Thorn" as a reference in here who does the AI RP pretty successful and enjoyable for anyone she encounters.

Beside that, what should happen to the official AI faction in this scenario?

You guys already have your own ID , plus you already put a tag on the NPC faction ID as well, so I wonder why you even bothered to ask ...
Actually, an overhaul of the NPC AI ID would also do, making it not only Gammu specific, which wouldn't bother your PRIME ID

RE: NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Connor - 07-06-2015

Limited to Kappa and maybe the Kappy jump hole in Delta would be cool. Only snubs though, it'd seem odd with cruiser

RE: NPC Faction Suggestion: AI - Mephistoles - 07-06-2015

I don't have much of an opinion on this suggestion, but what I will say is that the AI faction(s) and community really need to get this fixed once and for all.

Since I've been here I've constantly been seeing threads from and about AI players, talking about doing X, changing Y and asking what to do with Z. I would suggest getting this properly and thoroughly nailed down once and for all as it would make life easier for everyone involved.