Discovery Gaming Community
DLLPP - Discovery Lore Legacy Preservation Program - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: DLLPP - Discovery Lore Legacy Preservation Program (/showthread.php?tid=131702)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

DLLPP - Discovery Lore Legacy Preservation Program - Swallow - 07-18-2015

The idea behind it lies in @The Freelancer 's signature which quotes Meph.

Basically, this might be a project to collect, classify and generalise the lore of different factions (the best example is The Nomad lore), gathering and fitting all together faction activities, player's interaction, small details, and etc. to yield the extended lore from it.

Why? Because it can be spread as a brochure or a small book, generalising and unifying the knowledge and be an easy access to a lore and history.
From the other hand, it might be just interesting to read through and find something catchy that was lost in time and a pile of threads.

Once again, if you are familiar with The Nomad lore document you can pretty much imagine such for, let's say a house, or a dedicated faction - whoever decides to put effort into it.

Trade-off for the great effort put into collecting the works of playerbase will be the extended knowledge, amount of interesting links to be re-introduced to a fresh public and, I hope enjoyment of reading through the tonnes of text.

Moreover - having everything generalized and in one place will make it much easier for new to get into the things faster and correctly.

Swallow Wrote:Another side note is the format of the Tome of Discovery (suggest your name).

If we are about to gather everything up, the main feature of it must be that any time somebody commits an update, it should be able to be quickly updated.

The documentation might come in different documents, mind it, but what my suggestion is so far:

1. Write-ups are to be in .pdf;
2. The main structure of the Tome could be resembled by an archive (.zip, .rar) with respective subfolders.
3. Make availability through Google drive with multiple edit access.

RE: DLPP - Discovery Lore Preservation (and classification) program - Lythrilux - 07-18-2015

I have been planning on doing a bit writeup of everything Core has ever done (going back to BHG days too). So I guess when I've finished it I'll forward it here.

RE: DLPP - Discovery Lore Preservation (and classification) program - TheFreelancer - 07-18-2015

Nice Idea, I might do something for it, But ill see about it!

RE: DLPP - Discovery Lore Preservation (and classification) program - Swallow - 07-18-2015

Just to try it out one can start digging under the RP of one faction since the time of first songs RP materials regarding it. Just to see what actually it might turn into.

RE: DLPP - Discovery Lore Preservation (and classification) program - Fluffyball - 07-18-2015

Char and I are doing lore clarification for the Exiles. When we would finish up, we'd call you. As far as I am concerned however, we are going to stick to the lore that had been done so far, but some details need to be fixed up (infocards, some colliding informations, etc.)

RE: DLPP - Discovery Lore Preservation (and classification) program - Swallow - 07-18-2015

I also think that having key persons (characters, which are involved into the RP which affects the lore) mentioned (or rumoured) is a good thing as well.

While I am no good in anything faction-related, as I am mostly on my own and even as indie not really into the depth of the lore, I propose myself as a person to make write-ups on different small RP details which eventually one may come up to. Those details are general, like, for example this.

Another side note (not editing previous message to draw your attention once again) is the format of the Tome of Discovery (suggest your name).

If we are about to gather everything up, the main feature of it must be that any time somebody commits an update, it should be able to be quickly updated.

The documentation might come in different documents, mind it, but what my suggestion is so far:

1. Write-ups are to be in .pdf;
2. The main structure of the Tome could be resembled by an archive (.zip, .rar) with Respective subfolders.
3. Make availability through Google drive with multiple edit access.

RE: DLPP - Discovery Lore Preservation (and classification) program - TheJarl - 07-18-2015

Don't most factions pretty much have this already in the form of their descriptions in official faction information threads as well as the NPC factions' wiki pages? Admitted some are more extensive than others.

Although I suppose in VWA we are also creating some sort of extended lore that goes beyond the player faction with our sect database that basically describes the various groups that we'd say are represented by the NPC's.

Jarl, the point of this idea is to gather everything. By everything I mean Vanilla lore, Disco lore, Official faction lore, Unofficial and individual (on demand) lore, in aim to create a complex and sufficient picture of a given group/faction/house/etc. Nomad lore is a perfect reference to what I am talking about (though even it has some minor gaps in it).

AND have it all in one place as a handbook (set of handbooks) without the need to search for needed article through all the Discovery internets.