Discovery Gaming Community
Bison is able to perform planetfall - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Bison is able to perform planetfall (/showthread.php?tid=132234)

Bison is able to perform planetfall - Fluffyball - 08-02-2015

Recently, I came across an interesting information when I was looking at the Bison's infocard.

Quote:Developed to meet the logistical needs of the Liberty Armed Forces for rapid deployment of critical troops, equipment and infrastructure into hostile environments; the Bison Class was built to accomodate the daunting task of performing space to atmospheric maneuvers without the benefit of Ageira docking amenities.

Doesn't it mean that Bison should be able to enter the Leeds' backdoors without any problems then? Or it is just merely an inRP information, since someone would make use of Bison and trade hell out/into of the Leeds? (Not that Leeds' Sat offer anything valuable right now.)

As far as I remember however, even snubs (save for the Reapers' line and few smaller ships) are not made to enter atmosphere safely without using the Docking Rings. Because from what I can think right now it means the Bison is the only full-scale operation planetfall dropship in the Sirius.

RE: Bison is able to perform planetfall - Sebastian Nobles-Stirling - 08-02-2015

There are two issues here.

Ageira made surface to orbit elevators to allow docking to be easier. Logically, any ship designed the way that Freelancer portrays them would be capable of a controlled shallow entry. Earth's current technology depends on allowing gravity to pull you in, generating friction, etc... Freelancer ships have shields, some form of gravity manipulation and continuous thrust.

The Bison, by the write up, is designed to survive a combat drop; ergo, it is an assault craft as opposed to an actual warship. Theoretically, you could design other ships to perform that way, but it would need a LOT of reinforcing at the expense of cargo capacity.

Finally, to answer the question of Leeds, using this way would be writing a, "Hello, world!" message in fire across the sky.

RE: Bison is able to perform planetfall - Thyrzul - 08-02-2015

(08-02-2015, 09:29 PM)Fluffyball Wrote: (Not that Leeds' Sat offer anything valuable right now.)

Regular lawful routes (usually) don't go above 2,5 cr/sec/slot, contraband routes are between 3 and 3,5 cr/sec/slot (Cardi top is Manhattan, 3,47), that satellite offers refugee routes yielding just a bit below 5 cr/sec/slot (top is 4,93 to Miura, top 10 are 4,8 or higher). I'm not sure if you really didn't do your research before posting or just the two of us have different definition of "valuable" in our vocabularies.

On the topic of Bison: Basically what Seb said, it is capable of space to atmo stuff and survive it, still doesn't mean it's efficient/practical to be in common practice for friendly planets, or that it'll survive the following gank on the surface of a hostile planet if the maneuver itself reveals the ship big time.

RE: Bison is able to perform planetfall - Fluffyball - 08-02-2015

@Sebastian Nobles-Stirling Thank you for clarification.

@Thyrzul Not everyone use Freelancer Companion.

RE: Bison is able to perform planetfall - Thyrzul - 08-02-2015

That dissolved my uncertainity.

RE: Bison is able to perform planetfall - Chrono - 08-03-2015

This is just my own opinion on the whole Bison planetfall capability thing, but if you look at it from a "Now days" point of view, its underbelly is a lot like that of the current space shuttle in its design. as for the profitable routes, I'll leave that to the more knowledgeable players.

Also, Bison is best ship.