Discovery Gaming Community
Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives (/showthread.php?tid=133118)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - mayu20 - 11-20-2015

I was wondering, would be a good ideea to make jump drives able to jump with a small amount of fuel? Now that the player count is pretty low for some time now, jump drives are not really used that much since it requires huge amounts of fuel.
I was thinking to be able to make 1 jump for like 200 fuel but it would take some time to calculate the jump. Like. let's say 10-20 minutes? This way we can have a carrier for eg. with 2-3 bombers jumping to a system to start a fight.
There could also be cool a function where you could use the jump drive before the calculations are done, but it would jump in a random system (ZoI would stop this for happening but meh) or to a near system. Let's say you want to jump in New York but you initiate your drive before the calculation is finished and you end up in california or a system that is bordering the one you want to jump.
Just a thought, and we could prevent transports for using jump trading to keep the player interaction.
The only ships able to use jump drives should be capital ships, and to make a good use of the docking bays as well, the only ships that will follow the ship that is jumping will be the ones docked with it.
What do you say? Would be hard to implement this? Would be a good ideea to do it?

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - Durandal - 11-20-2015

This is something I already wanted to address balance wise. Maybe not with the exact stats/ideas you're proposing here, but it should only take a single ship with fuel and a jumpdrive to make a jump for a group of people. Nobody wants to be the water bearer sitting in a 3.6k transport dropping fuel while the drive charges. It makes them totally unfeasible for anything BUT jump trading, and now that their range has been limited to 4 systems, jump trading is a thing of the past.

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - mayu20 - 11-20-2015

Those stats were just and example, never said that it should be exactly like that, but I am glad to see you approve this Justin. We could make use of both jump drives and docking modules.

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - nOmnomnOm - 11-20-2015

Civilian carrier too plz if devs are keen on this...

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - Black Jack - 11-20-2015

(11-20-2015, 02:23 AM)Durandal Wrote: This is something I already wanted to address balance wise. Maybe not with the exact stats/ideas you're proposing here, but it should only take a single ship with fuel and a jumpdrive to make a jump for a group of people. Nobody wants to be the water bearer sitting in a 3.6k transport dropping fuel while the drive charges. It makes them totally unfeasible for anything BUT jump trading, and now that their range has been limited to 4 systems, jump trading is a thing of the past.

Bring back the jump trade. Please? =)

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - Stoner_Steve - 11-20-2015

I'm very much for making self jumps more viable, perhaps its own fuel like cloaking devices

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - Wesker - 11-20-2015

Delete them

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - Epo - 11-20-2015

(11-20-2015, 05:03 AM)Black Jack Wrote:
(11-20-2015, 02:23 AM)Durandal Wrote: This is something I already wanted to address balance wise. Maybe not with the exact stats/ideas you're proposing here, but it should only take a single ship with fuel and a jumpdrive to make a jump for a group of people. Nobody wants to be the water bearer sitting in a 3.6k transport dropping fuel while the drive charges. It makes them totally unfeasible for anything BUT jump trading, and now that their range has been limited to 4 systems, jump trading is a thing of the past.

Bring back the jump trade. Please? =)

Nu, jump tradin is killin activity :c Dun't do it!

About the idea: I'm for. Make them charging for a longer time, but consuming less stuff

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - Hidamari - 11-20-2015

Jump drives, again another of the skidmarks in the mods underwear that nobody wants to admit.
Jumping out of or circumvnting player interaction is all they are used for, like that is literally it. and this is a very bad thing, just like cloaking devices.

[Image: Xh828gt.png]

RE: Just a sugestion about Jump Drives - Sciamach - 11-20-2015

The amount by which jumpdrives are abused far outweighs the amount of times they've fit their original purpose. Jumping out of fights or even jumping as soon as seeing someone on scanners to avoid interactions are so commonplace in some areas that I literally start feeling physically sick when I see it happen.

It's so bad, we have jump prevention in one of the more commonplace areas for this occurrence (Omicron 99/Iota), and even then all the user has to do is impulse to 90/Alpha and hit the jump button and the whole interaction is void, and a complete waste of everyone's time.

Drives either need major retooling from their current state, or just need to be shelved for a while cos what we have going right now just isn't working, nor is it fit for purpose.