Discovery Gaming Community
Librelancer 2019.08 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Librelancer 2019.08 (/showthread.php?tid=133791)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - thisDerius - 11-19-2016

Quote:You're not running a proper install of vanilla freelancer (Repacks seem to use some strange format for colors etc.).

Its this one then. Thanks.

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Ichiru - 01-12-2017

So I thought I'd have a go at rendering some of the HUD (Click for full size)
The low FPS is due to running under a debugger. When running the binary by itself it maintains 60fps easily. For reference the specs this is running on is:
  • Macbook Air Early 2014
  • i5-4260U (Turbo boost puts it at 2.4GHz max)
  • 4GB RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics 5000

[Image: h8ZqxqXl.png]

Collision models are working, and the ship can move around and bump into things. There's also a ton of background improvements, including a DX9 backend for old systems (which is terribly slow), and native support for MSAA, which once there's a proper GUI can be exposed in the graphics options. I'm getting rather out of my depth in the area of physics and such though, so any help with that would be appreciated.

Furthermore, I haven't figured out how to do the sun lens flare or almost anything related to the AI. If someone has documentation based on that, you'd be my new favs.

Gameplay demo should be out once the HUD is functional and the defender engine fx is working properly.

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Durandal - 01-12-2017

(01-12-2017, 05:20 AM)Ichiru Wrote: Collision models are working, and the ship can move around and bump into things.

Out of interest, does this include missiles, mines, etc? As I recall, FL handles collisions with munitions differently and it was one of the major hurdles of the FLOS project.

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Ichiru - 01-12-2017

(01-12-2017, 05:33 PM)Durandal Wrote:
(01-12-2017, 05:20 AM)Ichiru Wrote: Collision models are working, and the ship can move around and bump into things.

Out of interest, does this include missiles, mines, etc? As I recall, FL handles collisions with munitions differently and it was one of the major hurdles of the FLOS project.

I haven't implemented any sort of munitions (including guns) yet because as of current I can't figure out how to get the ship to turn and move properly. Though with Jitter physics (actually the same library used by FLOS) there is an option to register a callback upon a detected collision. I'm also maintaining a fork with changes to even get sur working, so I'm sure it can all be altered.

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Hubjump - 01-12-2017

Microsoft doesnt really care about this game anymore
i say go for it, would be amazing to see this game with some more graphical potential
not to mention fixed cap ship masses ;D
But over all if you can do it and are motivated, do it! you would please hundreds maybe even thousands if done right

I saw something like this once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSof6JFxpOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT7wJq50n1Q

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Ichiru - 01-14-2017

boop

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Corile - 01-15-2017

Someone probably asked this (might have even been me, lol) but why not go with an existing engine such as Unreal or Unity?

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Ichiru - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 04:05 PM)Corile Wrote: Someone probably asked this (might have even been me, lol) but why not go with an existing engine such as Unreal or Unity?

A few reasons:
  1. Neither Unity nor Unreal are FLOSS projects. That means that I'm at the mercy of any API deprecation, new bug, or changes in behaviour released in any update. This makes it pretty hard to maintain over time.
  2. Freelancer's assets aren't really very compatible with modern rendering techniques. Stuff like the ALE engine rely on abusing GPU blend modes in order to get the effects they want. Combine that with a complete lack of any normal maps or proper material information (no specular highlights!), and I'd be re-writing all the standard shaders and stuff anyway, which is what I do now.
  3. DX9 is being killed off in mainstream engines, and DX10 was never really much of a thing. While the DX9 support in Librelancer is very terrible at the moment, I'd like to at least try not to lock out those who can't afford DX11 GPUs.

TL;DR: Unity and Unreal don't fit the needs of the project.

Also, new screenshot!

[Image: ljgtMHAl.png]

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Riess - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 04:17 PM)Ichiru Wrote:
  1. Neither Unity nor Unreal are FLOSS projects. That means that I'm at the mercy of any API deprecation, new bug, or changes in behaviour released in any update. This makes it pretty hard to maintain over time.

I can't speak for Unity, but Unreal Engine gives you full source and lets you pick the version you are working with, all the way back to 4.0, so situation you are describing is impossible.

But as guy getting asked once a week "why X and not Y" in my projects, I'll do no convincing to either. Writing your own engine for lulz is reason valid enough.

RE: Librelancer (Updated July '16) - Corile - 01-15-2017

Quote:I can't speak for Unity, but Unreal Engine gives you full source and lets you pick the version you are working with, all the way back to 4.0, so situation you are describing is impossible.
but muh libREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
((