Discovery Gaming Community
Station and Gate weapons - again - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Station and Gate weapons - again (/showthread.php?tid=133949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Station and Gate weapons - again - Karst - 12-16-2015

[Image: J2qczoq.jpg]

Am I alone in seeing the irony here?
Gate and station weaponry is so awesome for gameplay, the console has to tell us to avoid them so they don't ruin our fights.
As great as this event has been/is I think it's a good reminder of this issue. I'm genuinely struggling to think of something to tell people that still think it's a good idea to have gates and stations (particularly pathetic little outposts like San Diego) that are capable of deshielding any shipclass in short order.

I guess we shouldn't fly near hostile installations, right? It's only natural that we would, in such situations, be no rp engaged by soulless NPC objects, right?

This event is a perfect example why this kind of thinking is flawed: because hostile territory is exactly where you would have pvp interactions. Of course we can just stay away from hostile territory, but that pretty much amounts to staying away from interaction.

The gates in particular are an affront. They aren't even protecting anything. All they do is present an annoying inconvenience for unlawfuls that wish to use some of the very few spots actually viable for piracy. If somebody has a compelling argument why gates should have serious guns I'd love to hear it.

Anyway I've said all this before probably, I just think this event illustrates my point perfectly.

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - Lythrilux - 12-16-2015

I doubt we'll ever get to remove station weaponry, but remove gate pulses definitely. They have crippled piracy since their introduction.

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - sindroms - 12-16-2015

What has crippled piracy is the lane bug.
Please move the gates further away from the last lane.

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - The Savage - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 02:30 PM)sindroms Wrote: What has crippled piracy is the lane bug.
(12-16-2015, 02:29 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: I doubt we'll ever get to remove station weaponry, but remove gate pulses definitely.

Amen to both. TL-JG distance should be at least 4K, like in case of Omega-3 system.

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - WesternPeregrine - 12-16-2015

Yes to a 5k distance from the gates to any nearby tradelanes.

As for the pulses, I'm not sure having pirate cruisers blocking gates at leisure is a desired alternative.

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - Wesker - 12-16-2015

Remove npcs and weaponry.

I've argued this 90 times but like you said karst none of this matters because of devs not wanting change.

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - Char Aznable - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 02:54 PM)Wesker Wrote: Remove npcs and weaponry.

I've argued this 90 times but like you said karst none of this matters because of devs not wanting change.

No.

Amen to that. It's far more problematic than the pulses on Gates.

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - Malmsteen - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 02:29 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: I doubt we'll ever get to remove station weaponry, but remove gate pulses definitely. They have crippled piracy since their introduction.

Please admins and developers, don't do what is mentioned in the above quote ! - This is another way to destroy the game so please do not listen to this idea
In-fact the defenses are good for the traders, civilians and other lawful pilots who get pirated and sometimes go closer to nearest defenses for shelter
It's the pirate/unlawful problem to pick the right place for camping and waiting victims, but it's not the gate fault !!!!
Please consider increasing the firepower of gates and base defenses, as it should be this way.
Also please don't remove the npc's !! how can this be useful to the game? I'm sure you are wise and have a good scheme
so again please don't remove the pulses, npcs etc.. , the game is awesome with them.
Thank you in advance

regards,
Malmsteen

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - Hidamari - 12-16-2015

yes but the usual "its too much work" arguements would come out of the amber room, so may as well just lock thread np

im often deshielded by allied gates while im trying to use them, as the gate trys desperately to shoot the daggers flying around me . some of the gates still have battleship or cruiser pulses for gods sake. and then when you get to the other side of the gate, the gate disables the lane before you can get in it.

so its not even like it makes it more pleasant for lawful players either

RE: Station and Gate weapons - again - Karst - 12-16-2015

(12-16-2015, 02:59 PM)Malmsteen Wrote: Please admins and developers, don't do what is mentioned in the above quote ! - This is another way to destroy the game so please do not listen to this idea
In-fact the defenses are good for the traders, civilians and other lawful pilots who get pirated and sometimes go closer to nearest defenses for shelter
It's the pirate/unlawful problem to pick the right place for camping and waiting victims, but it's not the gate fault !!!!
Please consider increasing the firepower of gates and base defenses, as it should be this way.

regards,
Malmsteen

I have a question for you.
How often do you fly unlawful / pirate characters?

Edit:

(12-16-2015, 02:54 PM)WPeregrine Wrote: As for the pulses, I'm not sure having pirate cruisers blocking gates at leisure is a desired alternative.

They do not prevent that. It'll just sit inside the gate. They're worst for snubs, since snubs are actually at risk and will bleed precious bots when deshielded, which instantly happens whenever they use a gate.
If anything they encourage cruiser piracy.