Discovery Gaming Community
Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD (/showthread.php?tid=134243)

Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Explorer487 - 12-26-2015

Okay is this actually possible. So basically my steam HDD has decided to do the dying swan. It's spinning up/spinning down constantly and i can't seem to access anything on it for more than 30 seconds before crashing the PC/BSODing the PC/Freezing the PC completely.

We're talking 200-250GB of Steam Library which you might just think "Re download it, it's easier..." Well....no. No it isn't. I have a 56k connection, and it's taken me four years of good luck thus far to accumulate all that. Now i actually moved my library to a separate and dedicated Western Digital Blue (500 GB) thinking it's a new HDD and less likely to blow up. And supposing windows went pop i could reinstall windows and not lose my stuff. Only for some reason my luck has decided the 4 month old drive would go bang and on Christmas day, no less. So here i am and i'm at my wits end with this now.

The drive just seems to spin up/spin down repeatedly for 30 seconds before spinning down and staying like that. Then it'll sometimes spin up and act normal for like 5 minutes before going back to it's random spinning problem. Obviously accessing data in this state is impossible since i can't predict when it'll happen again and as a result any data transfers to my functional HDDs fail by default when the thing spins down. I don't really want to keep trying this as it might corrupt the data or cook the drive completely.

Is there a way to recover all of this or better still fix the drive? any suggestions at all would make this less of a crisis considering a large margin of all my games (49 to be exact) are in steam's Library. Only a handful have DVD's which were activated through steam. Downloading 200+ GB is just not happening. Like i've mentioned, the drive is only 4 months old and the PC hasn't been physically moved eliminating any knocks or bumps damaging it. There are also have been no previous symptoms considering i was playing a game on that HDD earlier today and it seemed perfectly okay, this is sudden and a strange coincidence with this Steam hacker stuff. I find it very hard to believe a 4 month old WD HDD is dead, never, ever had one fail but...*Sighs*

Cheers for any suggestions folks, i appreciate it

RE: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Alestone - 12-26-2015

Fix the drive, no.

Recover the data, possibly. Odd as this sounds, put the HDD in a plastic ziplock, put it in the freezer over-night and Immediately try to move the data off the drive after you pull it out of the freezer. It MIGHT keep the drive functional long enough to salvage.

Otherwise, there are data recovery services, but that is looking at a couple of hundred dollars. http://www.krollontrack.com/data-recovery/data-recovery-services/hard-drive-recovery/

RE: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Black Widow - 12-26-2015

(12-26-2015, 03:23 AM)Explorer487 Wrote: Okay is this actually possible. So basically my steam HDD has decided to do the dying swan. It's spinning up/spinning down constantly and i can't seem to access anything on it for more than 30 seconds before crashing the PC/BSODing the PC/Freezing the PC completely.

We're talking 200-250GB of Steam Library which you might just think "Re download it, it's easier..." Well....no. No it isn't. I have a 56k connection, and it's taken me four years of good luck thus far to accumulate all that. Now i actually moved my library to a separate and dedicated Western Digital Blue (500 GB) thinking it's a new HDD and less likely to blow up. And supposing windows went pop i could reinstall windows and not lose my stuff. Only for some reason my luck has decided the 4 month old drive would go bang and on Christmas day, no less. So here i am and i'm at my wits end with this now.

The drive just seems to spin up/spin down repeatedly for 30 seconds before spinning down and staying like that. Then it'll sometimes spin up and act normal for like 5 minutes before going back to it's random spinning problem. Obviously accessing data in this state is impossible since i can't predict when it'll happen again and as a result any data transfers to my functional HDDs fail by default when the thing spins down. I don't really want to keep trying this as it might corrupt the data or cook the drive completely.

Is there a way to recover all of this or better still fix the drive? any suggestions at all would make this less of a crisis considering a large margin of all my games (49 to be exact) are in steam's Library. Only a handful have DVD's which were activated through steam. Downloading 200+ GB is just not happening. Like i've mentioned, the drive is only 4 months old and the PC hasn't been physically moved eliminating any knocks or bumps damaging it. There are also have been no previous symptoms considering i was playing a game on that HDD earlier today and it seemed perfectly okay, this is sudden and a strange coincidence with this Steam hacker stuff. I find it very hard to believe a 4 month old WD HDD is dead, never, ever had one fail but...*Sighs*

Cheers for any suggestions folks, i appreciate it

If your HDD is a disk drive as I suspect from what you saying about it making funny spinning noises; and it has crashed then I am afraid your drive is gone if it is damaged. Spinning errors caused by misloads of data onto the drive make the drive unreadable hence why you are hearing those noises as it is trying to load from a damaged disk!

Once a HDD is unreadable it is impossible to recover anything from it.

If I were you I would invest in an SSD (Solid State Drive), which does not use a Disk to store data it is infact like a big USB stick. The chance of crashes will be near 0 and they are much faster.

RE: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Snozzz - 12-26-2015

good advice from Chance, given its a last ditch situation. it has worked for me. remember data = time = heat so keep it cold as you can, know what you are about and dont dally its one time only

RE: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Explorer487 - 12-26-2015

You people just saved my sanity. I managed to get SMART to work and it was saying the HDD was basically toast in various sectors, so i put it in the freezer as described, took it out say 9 hours later. ran back up the stairs and shoved it into a desktop HDD dock i dug out and managed to transfer my steam library and most of my downloaded files before it died again, i reckon i only lost a couple backed up drivers (I keep these saved as downloading them is time consuming on my snail net, plus i already burned some of them to DVD being critical supposing i ever had a windows failure)

Anyway i'm looking into ordering a new HDD, any suggested manufacturers? i'm a little skeptical about Western Digital at the minute considering my HDDs are kept below 30C at all times with my cooling (Roughly 22-28C) and it's barely lasted 4 months which unfortunately means the warranty ran out. It's not even like it's done any huge amount of work either since it mostly just sat idle whenever i wasn't using steam or it would go into Eco mode and spin down entirely. Thanks again and any suggestions about a new HDD i'd greatly appreciate it!

RE: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Black Widow - 12-26-2015

(12-26-2015, 07:31 PM)Explorer487 Wrote: You people just saved my sanity. I managed to get SMART to work and it was saying the HDD was basically toast in various sectors, so i put it in the freezer as described, took it out say 9 hours later. ran back up the stairs and shoved it into a desktop HDD dock i dug out and managed to transfer my steam library and most of my downloaded files before it died again, i reckon i only lost a couple backed up drivers (I keep these saved as downloading them is time consuming on my snail net, plus i already burned some of them to DVD being critical supposing i ever had a windows failure)

Anyway i'm looking into ordering a new HDD, any suggested manufacturers? i'm a little skeptical about Western Digital at the minute considering my HDDs are kept below 30C at all times with my cooling (Roughly 22-28C) and it's barely lasted 4 months which unfortunately means the warranty ran out. It's not even like it's done any huge amount of work either since it mostly just sat idle whenever i wasn't using steam or it would go into Eco mode and spin down entirely. Thanks again and any suggestions about a new HDD i'd greatly appreciate it!

buy an SSD dont buy a HDD or the same thing will happen again

RE: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Explorer487 - 12-26-2015

Well i can't afford to replace my 500GB media drive with a 500GB SSD unfortunately however i do have a Western Digital Green 1TB floating about (Though it is quite old now and i'm kinda hesitant to use it..)

For now i'll just shove it all on my 1TB main system drive. I ran a SMART scan on it and it's reporting it as okay in all sectors. The scary thing is my 1TB main drive has nearly as many hours as my 4 month old 500GB (In fact it as 4300 and my 500GB drive has 5700 operation hours, eh?)

RE: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Mickk - 12-27-2015

Just because the other drive failed, doesn't mean the 1 TB will go as well.

Put it in, check it out as much as you can, then when you are happy with it, move your files onto it.

However, I would back those steam files up onto something first, just in case.... or just keep a copy of them on your main drive.

In your situation it sounds like a good idea. Wink

RE: Recovering data from a dying/dead HDD - Explorer487 - 12-27-2015

Yes i've actually just purchased a portable HDD so i'll be backing up my Steam library onto that, can't take many risks with my atrocious snailnet Smile