Discovery Gaming Community
Nomad Invasion Event - Feedback - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Nomad Invasion Event - Feedback (/showthread.php?tid=134886)

Nomad Invasion Event - Feedback - Jack_Henderson - 01-11-2016

Heyhey!

The Nomad event ended early, but when looking at it as another test run (a very cool one at that!), there is some feedback that might be helpful for the next one. There is definitely HUGE potential in these events.

The action at NL Planet was cool yesterday.
The mechanics of mining away the rock was cool.
Making it possible to mine huge structures for ore was new and nice.
Also cool to make events count backwards.

I would call yesterday a very well done test run.

Now, I would like to address the potentials:

1. Warn involved factions: If factions involved had had some warning about it, we could have produced roleplay, e.g. I would have loved to evacuate SSR after the NC nomad rock appeared 7k from it. Could have been handled as a cargo-run event. Would have been awesome.

Don't get me wrong: they do not have to have a say. Let's not make things overcomplicated bc faction leaders are ungrateful, difficult people in general. But if they do not know, even the ones who would love to contribute and treat it in a positive-creative manner cannot.

2. Give players time to roleplay: I would say that a Nomad Invasion rp like the one in the test round should last around 3 to 4 weeks. Starting rp (especially the high quality forum side multi-faction rp) takes time. 1-2 days to gather opinions, to get organised. Another 1-2 days to get the postings started. And from then on, rp develops at ~ 1-2 posts / day maximum. To cover a story nicely (before it disappears), the plot has to be present for weeks.

3. Give a counter incentive to the opposing force: In the NL mine-the-nomads event, miners and haulers had motivation to log. They did. In huge numbers. So did lawfuls to protect them. The ones who were not there (at least for the ~ 2 hours I was around) were enemies. So the mining / transporting became dull without a "threat".

I have no clue how difficult each of these operations is, but: if Nomad/Wilde would have been given the following, this would have been an awesome event:

> engagement rights for the event system (would include indies)
> shortened re-engagement timer (tnx Skorak, added)
> a "get a ship and get there fast" option, like close shipmaking spot, an event restart, or a temp jumphole from the nomad restart system)
> a material reward, like...
. . + a nomad selling point (stationary Marduk) where they liberated stuff can be "sold/returned/saved)
. . + a money bounty for kills of the participating IDs (here: IMG and BMM)

And event can only be great if there is the constant possibility of a threat. I saw Alley doing that, but it required presence and likely a lot of time and effort. Giving players an option and incentive to be the "threat" themselves (with not too much effort and waste of time/money) would reduce Admin/Dev/Eventmaster time and energy and add dynamics.

Again, the NL event was great.
I loved it yesterday and I am quite excited about what can be done.

I think that everybody is still in the learning phase, and these 3 points came to my mind when thinking about it in more detail.

See you at the next event.

Jack

RE: Nomad Invasion Event - Feedback - Skorak - 01-11-2016

I really love these events myself. I had big fun in Liberty. But I agree that a bit more time for thorough RP is nice.

It is also something new. I love these nomad encounters. Would be cool if there were these at random times even in minor strength. Like when you shortly attacked West Point before kicking this thing off in New London.

(01-11-2016, 04:31 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: The action at NL Planet was cool yesterday.

I would have prefered it a bit further away. The Planet has BS missiles and two stations. Also people spawn there and run.

(01-11-2016, 04:31 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote: > engagement rights for the event system (would include indies)
> a "get a ship and get there fast" option, like close shipmaking spot, an event restart, or a temp jumphole from the nomad restart system)

If we could dock and resupply our Wild and Nomad ships in NL or so it would make it easy to raid. Give us 20-40 min reengagement timer and we might dare to go into the fight more.
And well everytime a wild ship that has a cloak dies. It pays a fee of about 5 mil. Maybe some credits for kills or whatever would help reducing that cost.

RE: Nomad Invasion Event - Feedback - Thunderer - 01-11-2016

Only positive feedback from me so far, except for that mining thing. I think that the commodity should have been sold at pirate and alien bases for a very high price too.