Discovery Gaming Community
Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) (/showthread.php?tid=136288)

Pages: 1 2 3

Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Marburg - 02-20-2016

Once upon a time, on a dark & stormy night, in a galaxy far, far away...there was a clickable link on the forums named "Today's Posts" or something like that.

With it, people could click it & browse all the threads that were posted since the last time they logged on.

Sometimes it would be all the threads posted in the past few hours, & sometimes it would be all the threads posted in the past few weeks...it just depended on how often you signed in.

We don't have that option anymore & I wanna start lobbying to get it back.

I'm not sure why it's gone now, but let me testify: The forums are better with it than without it

the "Latest Activity" sidebar is convenient, no doubt about it, but for all its convenient visibility, it doesn't hold a candle to what we had before. It's great for those that refresh every few hours or less, but for those like me that check in every few days or less, we miss out on the VAST majority of forum activity without knowing what to search for manually.

That's a step backward imho & it's alienating to me as a long time member...I can only imagine how it alienates new members that never enjoyed the perk of the ease of one-click searching.

Ignorance ain't bilss in a case like this.

What has to happen in order to fix what was never broken & regain the functionality we once had?

RE: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - E X O D I T E - 02-20-2016

I was only nine years old.
I loved the "today's posts" option so much.
I clicked on it from the "Forum Utilities" tab.
I would pray to it every night before bed, thanking it for the life I have been given.
"Lyth is love," I say.
"Lyth is life."
An Order indie hears me and insults me.
I blue him.
He QQs and disconnects.
The end.

RE: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Findarato Veneanar - 02-20-2016

You mean this? View New Posts, its on the front page.
Granted, for some reason it seems to just show all posts whether or not you have already viewed them, but that's its own issue to complain about.

RE: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Auriec - 02-20-2016

There are quite a few tabs on the top of the forum page. Click on 'Forum Utilities' and you will find the 'View Today's Posts' option.

RE: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Findarato Veneanar - 02-20-2016

(02-20-2016, 09:09 AM)LordVipex Wrote: Forum Utilities
It bothers me that one of the buttons says "show team" rather than teams.

RE: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Marburg - 02-20-2016

ok, I found the option on the forum utilities link, so cool. the option is still technically there...but that said, I had to make a thread to learn that it was hidden.

Kudos that it's still there & all that, but I still toe the line that it should be far more visible than it is. The only options at the top I click on in the normal run of things is "Home" "Index" & "Search"

Ease of use always trumps aesthetics

Literally the front page of the forums.
[Image: XfGSrT2.png]

RE: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Marburg - 02-20-2016

& for those like myself that don't homepage the front page of the forums? what do you recommend?

I freely admit that I'm leaving myself open here to all sorts of posts akin to "open your eyes, fool"

I'm happy to learn the options are there, but let's call a spade a spade: It ain't as user friendly as it used to be...sure, now that I know where the links are, I can use them & go about my business like this thread never happened, but for all my time here, there's still that part of me that thinks like a noob & for all the bells & whistles that've been added, the forums are less user friendly than they used to be.

snorfelling around in links I normally never bother with, I admit, things are organized alright...but here's the thing: it's organized well for regulars, but not for newcomers. It took me disappearing for quite a while & then returning to notice the perspective I loose as a regular.

RE: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Alley - 02-20-2016

I'm fairly sure users these days are aware what the purpose of a header navigation bar is considering they're everywhere.
And just for you:
[Image: nMhVfW8.png]

RE: Bring back the "Today's posts" option (please?) - Operator - 02-20-2016

Uhm... Is this realy necessary?...