Discovery Gaming Community
Bounty Boards - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Bounty Boards (/showthread.php?tid=136729)

Pages: 1 2 3

Bounty Boards - SnakThree - 03-06-2016

Let's have a discussion. About how Bounty Boards are outsourcing activity that factions should/could be conducting themselves.

While it makes perfect sense in roleplay to pay hunters/mercanaries to hunt your enemies in reality, it robs combat-oriented factions of possible activity. Corsairs issue a bounty on Outcast. Some random mercenary shoots Outcasts instead of Corsair. Usually that results in bland and quick roleplay justifying engagement. Whereas Corsair and Outcast could exchange some heated insults for a while before exchanging lasers.

Another problem is bounties put on trade ships, allowing mercanaries to circumvent the rules protecting traders from 100%+ loss ( cargo and time ). This results in people shooting even empty trade ships. This really looks like grief from those unsupected players which results in more problems.

So to conclude my perspective, I believe that the way current bounty boards are setup is counter-productive to factions hosting them. Archenemies should be shooting each another instead of outsourcing it to mercanaries to improve the atmosphere and encourage activity back and forth. Good solution is to offer internal rewards for same ID users, so in previous case, Corsairs would reward other Corsairs for shooting down Outcasts.

I am curious what other players think?

RE: Bounty Boards - E X O D I T E - 03-06-2016

It makes perfect sense to me in-RP. Why risk your guys, who are in something of a shortage in the lore (Corsairs have a high attrition rate for their adulthood initiation featuring Nomads, Jump Holes, the now defunct Legionnaire, and Artifacts and the sniffers just aren't that interested in having hawt secksual intercourse because of this orange grass they've been sniffing), when some foreigner can do it with their foreigner ship & guns, for the low price of a literally infinitesimal bit of your gains?

RE: Bounty Boards - SnakThree - 03-06-2016

Have you read what I wrote? It has an answer and explanation on why I find it counter-productive to what you just posted.

RE: Bounty Boards - E X O D I T E - 03-06-2016

Here's a counterexample.
Take PvP Faction A.
They're having a bit of a personnel shortage because they won too utterly so there's no point logging anymore (So basically Core|).
Now, there's still an endless stream of lolindies running around, but Core knows that they'll curbstomp them into the ground, and it would be unfair to gank them like that.
The solution is to make a bounty board on the assorted ne'er-do-wells running around and let the indies duke it out for the amusement of the masses.

RE: Bounty Boards - Jack_Henderson - 03-06-2016

Quote:Another problem is bounties put on trade ships, allowing mercanaries to circumvent the rules protecting traders from 100%+ loss ( cargo and time ). This results in people shooting even empty trade ships. This really looks like grief from those unsupected players which results in more problems.

This should be forbidden.
It has always been a dick move to especially target transports, often with bonuses and - historically - very often with the intention to work around the "must make a demand" lines to cause a maximum of damage with as little enjoyment/effort as possible.

With the "new" Border World rules (where FR5s, diplo consequences, etc only are permissible when a lawful character is there to see it), there is no reason any more to use proxies to fight to avoid harmful consequences for a faction.

I would be in immediately to change rules in this aspect.

RE: Bounty Boards - Hannibal - 03-06-2016

blanket bounties are a problem in general,for far more reasons than you explained
just remove them and replace them with ingame bounties that will need to be posted by another player on someone who he actually meet and not just because he carry an id

(03-06-2016, 02:52 PM)Exodite Asmodai Wrote: Here's a counterexample.
Take PvP Faction A.
They're having a bit of a personnel shortage because they won too utterly so there's no point logging anymore (So basically Core|).
Now, there's still an endless stream of lolindies running around, but Core knows that they'll curbstomp them into the ground, and it would be unfair to gank them like that.
The solution is to make a bounty board on the assorted ne'er-do-wells running around and let the indies duke it out for the amusement of the masses.

So isn't that the exact same thing that I wrote about internal rewards?

I am confused.

RE: Bounty Boards - Kauket - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 02:57 PM)Jack_Henderson Wrote:
Quote:Another problem is bounties put on trade ships, allowing mercanaries to circumvent the rules protecting traders from 100%+ loss ( cargo and time ). This results in people shooting even empty trade ships. This really looks like grief from those unsupected players which results in more problems.

This should be forbidden.
It has always been a dick move to especially target transports, often with bonuses and - historically - very often with the intention to work around the "must make a demand" lines to cause a maximum of damage with as little enjoyment/effort as possible.

With the "new" Border World rules (where FR5s, diplo consequences, etc) only can work when a lawful character is there to see it, there is no reason any more to use proxies to fight to avoid harmful consequences for a faction.

I would be in immediately to change rules in this aspect.

Maybe that transport shouldn't have pissed off the other guy then?

Some people actually use transports for non-trading purposes sometimes too.

RE: Bounty Boards - Jack_Henderson - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 02:58 PM)Hannibal Wrote: blanket bounties are a problem in general,for far more reasons than you explained
just remove them and replace them with ingame bounties that will need to be posted by another player on someone who he actually meet and not just because he carry an id

Then you can also just kill off BHG faction, and that would not work.
Blanket bounties are the only kind of bounty that can work.
Do you know how much hassle and work it is to check boards, see who is hunted, see who you can shoot, check where you can shoot then shoot, get the blue (perhaps), then make the post, upload the screenies, calculate the profits and then get paid 5 million after 3 weeks?

If you make bounty hunting any harder, it will be gone completely.

(03-06-2016, 02:59 PM)Nyx Wrote: Maybe that transport shouldn't have pissed off the other guy then?

Some people actually use transports for non-trading purposes sometimes too.
Is that your justification for targeting empty unarmored trade ships that have 0% of survival because that's easy money and not much RP is required.?