Discovery Gaming Community
Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... (/showthread.php?tid=138279)

Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Mickk - 04-18-2016

Why Flood?

Why not!!

Just wanted to tell someone about the new stuff I got for an upcoming upgrade on my PC I'm planning on my next off rotation. Plus I'm bored.

New video card, doesn't matter what sort it is, it's a Radeon with 4 GB DDR5 from company (insert company name).

Because the above, 750 watt PSU.

Why? Because jumping from ancient OS to Win 10 (bought 'Professional')

Going to be interesting times if I don't have all of the MB drivers on a CD/Flash Drive somewhere before I start.....

I have them all, just need to put them on a CD..... and find the drivers for the wireless dongel, then back up all those little useful programs you tend to gather and registration numbers for various programs....arg..... lol

Edit: getting lots of views, but no replies. Pretty good guess why, nothing for people talk about....well not really. That was the plan tho. Mission Successful.

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Charcoal - 04-20-2016

Best of luck with the upgrade.

When I get some spare funds I will be buying a new computer. My motherboard packed it in, but my old system was just an e-mashine from The Good Guys.

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Mickk - 04-24-2016

I'm back!

Upgrade successful, if I do say so myself.

The PC is still sitting on the bench next to me with it's 'guts' spilling out of it, but it's up and running.

Lots of general 'stuff' to do, but the hard part is done.

Need to d/l and install various programs, but that's just going to take time, get the PC to recognize my printer and a few other things, but I'm mostly happy with how things have gone.

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Stone21 - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 12:39 PM)Mickk Wrote: I'm back!

The PC is still sitting on the bench next to me with it's 'guts' spilling out of it, but it's up and running.

Need to d/l and install various programs, but that's just going to take time, get the PC to recognize my printer and a few other things, but I'm mostly happy with how things have gone.

Hello !
Good to hear that it is running, let us know if Freelancer's running OK on that Radeon; whatever model it is. Because you didn't want to mention about the model. Maybe someone else on these forums plans to upgrade to the same Radeon graphic card together with Windows 10 Pro. and is wondering if FL. will run ok on it.

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Skorak - 04-24-2016

My Freelancer runs on my Radeon R9 390, Win10. It sometimes crashes when I log a ship but that is it.

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Mickk - 04-24-2016

(04-24-2016, 01:47 PM)Skorak Wrote: My Freelancer runs on my Radeon R9 390, Win10. It sometimes crashes when I log a ship but that is it.

For the record, it's the Radeon R9 380 (4GB DDR5), the version made by Gigabyte, which I just realized also made the motherboard it is currently plugged into. Smile

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Mickk - 04-25-2016

(04-24-2016, 12:47 PM)Stone21 Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 12:39 PM)Mickk Wrote: I'm back!

Hello !
Good to hear that it is running, let us know if Freelancer's running OK on that Radeon; whatever model it is. Because you didn't want to mention about the model. Maybe someone else on these forums plans to upgrade to the same Radeon graphic card together with Windows 10 Pro. and is wondering if FL. will run ok on it.

Yep it runs quite nicely.

There *IS* a trick to making it happen though.

This is how I got it to work;

Install Freelancer (fresh install).

Don't bother trying to run it, as I couldn't make it happen for some odd reason.

Download (if you don't already have it) the Disco mod and install that.

Run Freelancer using DSlauncher, follow the prompts and there you go.

NOTE!! Keep your player account ID handy!

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Cælumaresh - 04-27-2016

(04-24-2016, 01:47 PM)Skorak Wrote: My Freelancer runs on my Radeon R9 390, Win10. It sometimes crashes when I log a ship but that is it.

If you turn off the bloom before logging a ship, it should never crash.
Thats what helped for me.

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Skorak - 04-27-2016

I have Bloom disabled in the enbseries file. Maybe I need to disable the whole effect then.

RE: Bought stuff for an upgrade.... - Mickk - 04-28-2016

(04-27-2016, 02:24 PM)Skorak Wrote: I have Bloom disabled in the enbseries file. Maybe I need to disable the whole effect then.

Yep, that'd be a good idea.

I've never had Bloom on, I don't even know what it does.

Long story short, never had FL crash just because I'm running an ATi card. Wink