Discovery Gaming Community
Forward Gun Bug Solved - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Forward Gun Bug Solved (/showthread.php?tid=138495)

Pages: 1 2 3

Forward Gun Bug Solved - Thunderer - 04-25-2016

As you can see.
I've been experimenting stuff with @TheShooter36 by turning a Valor FG into a physical weapon, a dumbfire missile. Like the Cannonball or like flaks. Credits to @"Snoopy" for the idea.
In order to clear things up a bit, I will explain what is a FG bug, which SNACs also have: the one who fires it sees it hit you, but you often see it miss and do damage. On the contrary too, the one who fires it sees it miss, but you see it hit and not do damage. This is why luck is the most important factor when dodging forward guns and SNACs, instead of skill.

However. While fixing them, we encountered a new bug. The fixed forward gun does damage to the shield as intended, but the missile mechanics that Shooter gave it prevents it from damaging the hull of large ships, except if it has a large explosion. This creates another problem, in form of all your equipment gone after 3 FG hits.

Can anyone think of a solution to this? Or, shoul forward guns instead be turned into anti-shield weapons, bringing down a whole BS shield in case of BS forward guns? After all, the Valor FG description says it is a weapon used to open an engagement.

Whatever the case, it is clear that forward guns and snacs are bugged and should be fixed before adding more of them. What do you suggest?

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - Backo - 04-25-2016

Not just FWD guns. I've seen regular fighter guns do the exact same. Both in hitting and 0 dmg and being hit for 0 dmg.

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - Haste - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 01:19 PM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: Both in hitting and 0 dmg

This isn't / shouldn't be a thing - FL uses client side hit detection. If you hit, the other player's taking damage. The only explanation is packet loss, I suppose.

As for the explosion issue - try and move the damage component of the weapon to its actual projectile, rather than a seperate explosion. As you should be working with 0 "detonation distance" the damage value for the projectile itself can be used. See the Starport's "article" on weapon_equip.ini.

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - Lythrilux - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 01:19 PM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: Not just FWD guns. I've seen regular fighter guns do the exact same. Both in hitting and 0 dmg and being hit for 0 dmg.

I've seen this pretty much exclusively apply for weird refires like 3.03 or 1.00.

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - TheShooter36 - 04-25-2016

We tried that...it was rather...interesting...when we removed explosion and carried damage to the projectile itself, projectile went through thunderer s carrieras if it wasnt there without doing any damage

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - Thunderer - 04-25-2016

It happens to all low refire weapons, but to a much, much lower extent than to FGs and SNACs. For example, you will sometimes see a Mortar or a Pulse miss you by 2 millimeters and do damage. That happens rarely, though, while you can almost always see FGs and SNACs miss and do damage, and miss by several kilometers.

The difference between these guns and FGs is that FGs and SNACs can fire even if they are not pointing where you are with your mouse, while other guns will not fire in that case.

Concerning Haste's reply, we have tried a 0 explosion radius shot, but I don't think we've done what you suggested. I've sent the link to Shooter. Thank you!

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - Lythrilux - 04-25-2016

Maybe the force_ori or whatever plays the part of being a culprit?

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - TheShooter36 - 04-25-2016

Without force_ori all guns would have 40 degree arc on them without turret turning(and break the FGs)

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - Cælumaresh - 04-25-2016

(04-25-2016, 01:27 PM)TheShooter36 Wrote: We tried that...it was rather...interesting...when we removed explosion and carried damage to the projectile itself, projectile went through thunderer s carrieras if it wasnt there without doing any damage

You can try it by making the explosion radius 1m perhaps?

RE: Forward Gun Bug Solved - Alley - 04-25-2016

As haste explained no matter what you do you will have desyncs. The higher your ping is, the more desynced you will be. This is amplified in FL by the complete lack of authorative process and instead mostly relying on telling the client "something happened and do whatever you want".

So tl; dr no matter what you do there will be serious desyncs between players.