Discovery Gaming Community
What happened to the phantoms? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: What happened to the phantoms? (/showthread.php?tid=139173)

Pages: 1 2

What happened to the phantoms? - HoakinBlackforge - 05-10-2016

I was reading lore on the wiki, then i found about the phantoms, its sad that they removed a "vs everyone" faction, it would have been interesting.

Of course, its understandable that they were removed for a few obvious reasons:

1- Access to the most powerful ships in the game.
2- Destroy everything and everone at will (ID says that)

But i dont get why remove an entire faction from the mod itself. I would have liked to make a server for my friends and play with any faction we wanted.

RE: What happened to the phantoms? - sindroms - 05-10-2016

It was removed not due to the ID or ships, it was removed due to its nature itself and who it was built around.

RE: What happened to the phantoms? - Vendetta - 05-10-2016

Assets were removed and replaced due to the faction being unused with no hope of revival for several years, nor the real need for it to return.

RE: What happened to the phantoms? - HoakinBlackforge - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 02:08 PM)sindroms Wrote: It was removed not due to the ID or ships, it was removed due to its nature itself and who it was built around.

Aw, that sucks. I like the idea of, if you allow me to define it my way, a "Y.O.L.O" faction.

RE: What happened to the phantoms? - sindroms - 05-10-2016

(05-10-2016, 02:20 PM)HoakinBlackforge Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 02:08 PM)sindroms Wrote: It was removed not due to the ID or ships, it was removed due to its nature itself and who it was built around.

Aw, that sucks. I like the idea of, if you allow me to define it my way, a "Y.O.L.O" faction.

That was the problem.
We currently have factions like the Nomads, but at least they have a RP excuse to act in such a manner. The Phantoms had no roleplay behind them other than a ''bunch of baddies'' and were, due to their ID, populated by administrators and trusted members. Such behavior from staff members was seen rather unprofessional and coupled with a few incidents (lol Virus) they were shot down soon enough.

(05-10-2016, 02:33 PM)sindroms Wrote:
(05-10-2016, 02:20 PM)HoakinBlackforge Wrote:

That was the problem.
We currently have factions like the Nomads, but at least they have a RP excuse to act in such a manner. The Phantoms had no roleplay behind them other than a ''bunch of baddies'' and were, due to their ID, populated by administrators and trusted members. Such behavior from staff members was seen rather unprofessional and coupled with a few incidents (lol Virus) they were shot down soon enough.

Oh, so they turned into a "screw all the rules" and they were a dick to everyone they encountered?

Also, if i make my own server, its there any way to make them aviable again only for my server? Or that would require to modify the mod?

RE: What happened to the phantoms? - Karst - 05-10-2016

The Phantom ships were re-purposed into other things, for example the entry for the cruiser became the Junker Gunboat.
Although I guess you could simply pretend to be a Phantom in any other type of ship. All you need to do is go "blargh I'm so evulll" and attack people.

Basically the Phantoms were a relic from a forgotten age, when the server was a lot more open to what are essentially fantasy elements. We...don't talk about the Phantoms anymore. It was a darker time.

(05-10-2016, 02:41 PM)Karst Wrote: The Phantom ships were re-purposed into other things, for example the entry for the cruiser became the Junker Gunboat.
Although I guess you could simply pretend to be a Phantom in any other type of ship. All you need to do is go "blargh I'm so evulll" and attack people.

Basically the Phantoms were a relic from a forgotten age, when the server was a lot more open to what are essentially fantasy elements. We...don't talk about the Phantoms anymore. It was a darker time.

:C

Evil is fun, but being an asshole is not... i would have liked to do it right.

RE: What happened to the phantoms? - HassLHoFF™ - 05-10-2016

phantoms were an import -> no imports in disco at best.

RE: What happened to the phantoms? - Black Jack - 05-10-2016

Phantom ID is like Pirate ID. You can engage everyone you want, but transports. You need to pirate then and f they won't pay - PFFF.
Only thing that was good in Phantoms - ships.
Their Cruiser was something. When i came here there were no Phantoms i think. I've seen them on other server. Most powerfull ships that i've ever seen on disco. And Cruiser - it can dodge very good.