Discovery Gaming Community
Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble (/showthread.php?tid=139704)

Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble - sindroms - 05-24-2016

Just finished talking to a pair of peeps who pretty much said that their English is so poor that they are afraid of asking things on the forum so people do not glare at them for existing.

It would be a long-term benefit for our server if the players who do not actively partake in roleplay at least had access to the knowledge of our server rules. They will not be posting paragraph-length message dumps any time soon, but at least they will not be making the usual mistakes we see.

Allowing a section on the forums where players can ask a question in their own language and get an answer in said language from our forum members would allow them to ask things they would otherwise not be able to find an answer to due to their limitations.

Also, we still need a translated set of server rules.

RE: Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble - Alley - 05-24-2016

The problem with this approach is that we want everything to be written in english, so we'd already be deviating from this rule.
As for the rules, it'll be an issue whenever we admins change a rule. What if the translated rules are outdated? The admins aren't going to be handling this, there's already quite a lot to do.

I personally don't have issues with setting up a single subforum in which players are allowed to ask questions in foreign languages, however it may be slightly difficult to moderate.

RE: Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble - sindroms - 05-24-2016

(05-24-2016, 12:23 PM)Alley Wrote: The problem with this approach is that we want everything to be written in english, so we'd already be deviating from this rule.
As for the rules, it'll be an issue whenever we admins change a rule. What if the translated rules are outdated? The admins aren't going to be handling this, there's already quite a lot to do.

I personally don't have issues with setting up a single subforum in which players are allowed to ask questions in foreign languages, however it may be slightly difficult to moderate.

I realize the problem regarding the rule, but I still believe that we are hurting ourselves in the long term if we do not provide as many players as physically possible to at least understand the server rules. We must finally come to terms that Disco is the only surviving server and many of our new players are here not just because of RP, but also because they are interested to play the game. They are still content themselves, especially when it comes to server population. Content we have been lacking only a year ago.

The subforum could be messy to moderate, but if things go south, it can be nuked. It is still worth a chance.

As for the rule changes - we have those fairly rare. If we translated the rules to Russian and German, it would already be enough for most cases. As for proofreeding, the mistakes or spots that would need to be rephrased can be pointed out by other speakers of that language in a feedback thread.

RE: Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble - realekki - 05-24-2016

(05-24-2016, 12:33 PM)sindroms Wrote: I realize the problem regarding the rule, but I still believe that we are hurting ourselves in the long term if we do not provide as many players as physically possible to at least understand the server rules. We must finally come to terms that Disco is the only surviving server and many of our new players are here not just because of RP, but also because they are interested to play the game. They are still content themselves, especially when it comes to server population. Content we have been lacking only a year ago.

The subforum could be messy to moderate, but if things go south, it can be nuked. It is still worth a chance.

As for the rule changes - we have those fairly rare. If we translated the rules to Russian and German, it would already be enough for most cases. As for proofreeding, the mistakes or spots that would need to be rephrased can be pointed out by other speakers of that language in a feedback thread.

+1 for this

RE: Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble - sasapinjic - 05-24-2016

+1 to idea .
I meet a lot of players who were so poor in English that you cant even explain them that they breaking game rules , so they end up sanctioned .
Tings are even worse because they cant understand that they are sanctioned , and if for example their ship is in Bastille or striped of cash , they leave game frustrated and never return , like in this cases :

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=139294

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=139261

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=139166

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=139164

^ this are all players who are sanctioned because of their poor English ! I know because i meet them in space and i try to help them a bit , but with their poor English that was extremely hard . They will newer respond to their sanction notice because they don't know know rules , how sanction system works , and i doubt they even know for this forum !
Thats 4 players lost that i know it, who knows how much we are lost already without even knowing !
Knowing good English isn't necessary for this game , at least at start , knowing rules and some simple lines is enough and we need to help new players with this !
If they know RULES and SIMPLE and most common used WORDS , they can play fine , isnt nessesery to expect some mayor RP from them anyway .
In cases like this :
"I got you now you fat trader , STOP there , this is PIRATING , you are gonna PAY me now 5.000.000 or DIE !",
or "HOLD for SCAN , this is POLICE" ,
or "Time for you to DIE , you liberty dog ! " ,
or "We are CORSAIRS , we are strongest , we ask you to show as some respect with PAYING as 4.000.000 $" etc .
Only thing player need to know are those words i typed with capital letters , all other is RP and not really nessesery for newbie to know , and he can treat them as mummbo-jummbo nonsense , as long as he know rules and do what is expected of him , like stop , pay fine , pay pirating fee , send attack message etc . In time he will learn more and more words , and to tell you that , is way i learn English , Playing Pirates! on old C-64 !

RE: Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble - Jack_Henderson - 05-24-2016

I also like the idea.

It does not have to be translated rules, but a very concise, simplified list of "Do's & Don'ts" that keeps the from getting sanctioned.
I mean, it is very likely that you will not even realize the lack of English skill in most players as they hardly differ from NPCs in many aspects. Having more traffic and more targets in pvp (given they do not break rules) is positive. Whether an engagement message is not grammatically correct, or a google translation does not matter to me much.

RE: Multilanguage QnA forum could save us from lots of trouble - Shiki - 05-24-2016

Can offer my help with RUS translation if that will be the case.