Discovery Gaming Community
Vanilla Freelancer Help - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Vanilla Freelancer Help (/showthread.php?tid=139765)

Vanilla Freelancer Help - wanderer95 - 05-26-2016

So whenever I try to run Vanilla Freelancer it will not open. The process will open for a brief second and close. Discovery works fine though.

Any help will be appreciated!

RE: Vanilla Freelancer Help - wanderer95 - 05-27-2016

bumping

RE: Vanilla Freelancer Help - Inferno - 05-27-2016

Same problem here

From most if not all PC games before 2005, you may require the disk for the first few operations.
That is how Halo: Combat Evolved went for me. Had to have ti in for six or seven program launches then I did not need it anymore.

As for abandonware download, no idea.

RE: Vanilla Freelancer Help - wanderer95 - 05-27-2016

Tried inserting CD didn't work, tried getting an ISO. No luck. Downloaded a new .exe and problem solved. Thanks for the idea Inferno Smile

RE: Vanilla Freelancer Help - Inferno - 05-27-2016

No problem man. Play on.

RE: Vanilla Freelancer Help - ceu - 08-13-2016

A possible Solution is to delete the previous campaing you have played (if you have of course).The game saves in Documents => My Games.There you should be able to find a folder called ''Freelancer''.in the folder there is ''Accts'' ''DSAce'' ''PerfOptions'' ''UserKeyMap''.
you need to delete the whole ''Freelancer'' folder.Open the game again and it should work,it will create a new ''freelancer'' folder that you do not need to delete.From there the game should work as normal,but keep in mind.Everytime you open discovery your keybinding will be reseted back to default,and changing them will cause the problem again for vanilla.You will have to do the same thing to fix the problem but if you made any progress you will start over again,so if you are going to play the whole campaing,I recomend to not play discovery until your done.
(Im kidna late)

RE: Vanilla Freelancer Help - Gunbladelad - 08-13-2016

If you get the splash screen followed by the game crashing before going to the main menu, then it's because Freelancer is detecting content in the save files that it doesn't recognise.

Either delete or move (to a sub-folder is fine if you choose to move) all the files in the single player save games folder. Make sure you include restart.fl and autosave.fl.

You'll likely need to do this every time you play a different mod or revert to vanilla.

RE: Vanilla Freelancer Help - TheFreelancer - 08-13-2016

If you're running windows 10, It wont run any older games unless they're cracked in some way, or in your case, You have Discovery intalled (For some odd reason it runs fine, Probably because It removes the disc from the equation!), anything related to the disc, won't work from what i've seen, its a bummer because I have hundreds of older games I can't play! (Unless I run a VM!)

You could get a virtual machine if you really wanted to, Like windows XP VM, or something (I miss XP!)

If you're not running windows 10, Then I'm not sure what It could be! - This is just a heads up in case you run into the problem again!

RE: Vanilla Freelancer Help - Mickk - 08-16-2016

(08-13-2016, 03:52 PM)TheFreelancer Wrote: If you're running windows 10, It wont run any older games unless they're cracked in some way, or in your case, You have Discovery intalled (For some odd reason it runs fine, Probably because It removes the disc from the equation!), anything related to the disc, won't work from what i've seen, its a bummer because I have hundreds of older games I can't play! (Unless I run a VM!)

You could get a virtual machine if you really wanted to, Like windows XP VM, or something (I miss XP!)

If you're not running windows 10, Then I'm not sure what It could be! - This is just a heads up in case you run into the problem again!

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat with many of my older games.

I've read that it has something to do with the DRM system of anti-pirate software.

The solution is simple; you need to find NO-CD patches for any older game you want/need to play and then the game will work fine.

I have both NFS:Underground games (1&2) , along with Carbon and found NO-CD patches for them and they work perfectly.

Note that many NO-CD patches can be found on the game authors/makers web site or on various 'safe' gaming web sites.

Apart from that, this has been going on for quite some time now, there are many 'workarounds' out there to get a lot of the older games going, all you need to do is SEARCH!