Discovery Gaming Community
ID Restricted Ships? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: ID Restricted Ships? (/showthread.php?tid=140203)

Pages: 1 2 3

ID Restricted Ships? - Zyliath - 06-09-2016

I came up with this suggestion: some ships can be used with official faction IDs.

Example: the Atlantis carrier-what if only those with the [LN] official ID are allowed to use it?
The same can be applied with ships like Elbe, Valor, Tokugawa etc.

Maybe this can prompt people to join the official factions thus prompting the activity?
Comments and thoughts welcome! (But no hate/troll posts)

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Shinju - 06-09-2016

More harm than good. Not everyone is willing to spend months in official faction before they can reach needed rank for it.

+Capital ship players would have to fly with snubs for months.

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Blackvertigo1 - 06-09-2016

Make sure you've deactivated all my proprietary tech first from this gimmick.

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Emperor Tekagi - 06-09-2016

(06-09-2016, 08:59 PM)Shinju Wrote: More harm than good. Not everyone is willing to spend months in official faction before they can reach needed rank for it.

+Capital ship players would have to fly with snubs for months.

Just this.
Also your idea isn't really new. Many had the same idea and it always failed due to what Shinju just said.

A question back: What brought you to think about this?

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Kauket - 06-09-2016

@Shinju That.

It also promotes elitism, and will deny one part of activity - cap ship fights.

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Zyliath - 06-09-2016

I never intented ALL caps. Just several ships.

A indie could still buy a battlecruiser or cruiser.
Not necessarily snub only.

Clarifies a little?

About how come I thought of this, I had this idea for a while.

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Mephistoles - 06-09-2016

The idea of restricting battleships has been floated many times.

The fact it never went through is sufficient to end this thread.

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Jinx - 06-09-2016

This is what you may call "a negative reason" to join a faction - something you might like to avoid. Factions should try to generate a postive reason to join them - richer roleplay, friendship, organization - a place with structure. Among the reasons to join an official faction - there should NOT be "so i can use [insert ship/equipment]" ... if you do that, you simply end up with people who really just join the faction to "get stuff" - and if you are really, really unlucky, - sooner than later, the majority of your faction is filled up with "those people" - who are not interested in what i listed before.

It is a way to actually kill off an official faction slowly.

Other than that - you also create an environment of "us and them" (something Disco actually suffers from, although some people do LIKE that state - an faction vs. indie attitude for example) - Once you start to generalize instead of looking at the individual skills and contributions - and just look at a tag ... you will start to dismiss people who are an enrichment to the community - while in the worst case - defending people who are toxic to it - all based on a tag.

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Alex. - 06-09-2016

Why are we bothering with this discussion for the nth million time? No one's going to join official factions for this, they're going to leave the server if anything.

RE: ID Restricted Ships? - Traxit - 06-09-2016

Restricting certain caps should've been done years before.

It's too late now.