Discovery Gaming Community
[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Unofficial Factions and Groups (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: [SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce (/showthread.php?tid=14025)

Pages: 1 2

[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - pieguy259 - 11-26-2008

<div align="center]Following the Eighty Years' War between Rheinland and the GMG, the leaders of the four major houses got together and decided there should be an independent taskforce set up to mediate conflicts and do something to prevent war wherever possible. To this end, the Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce was set up to be independent of any governmental body. Its mandate is to intervene and mediate where necessary in any battle, and attempt to break up any conflict between the major Houses where it occurs.

The first duty of the SPT was to help keep the peace between Rheinland and the GMG in Sigma-13, and with their help, the situation has cooled to the point where peacekeepers are no longer needed in Sigma-13.

During the Nomad War of 799-800 AS, the SPT attempted to halt Rheinland's expansion and conquest with little success, but their efforts were largely overlooked in favour of the Order and Edison Trent.

Today, the SPT has two major zones of operation: Hudson and Bering, where it attempts to keep tensions between Liberty and Rheinland as low as possible, and Tau-31, where it is fighting a mostly losing battle to halt the Kusari-Bretonia war.

The current Commodore of the SPT is Matthew Whittaker.

Goals
  • To maintain the peace between Rheinland and the GMG in Sigma-13.
  • To halt the war and resume diplomatic negotiations between Bretonia and Kusari.
  • To prevent the outbreak of hostilities between Liberty and Rheinland.
Zone of Influence

Two major zones of operation:
  • Tau-31 and surrounding contested systems, operating out of Holman Outpost.
  • Independent systems of Bering and Hudson, operating out of Freeport 4.
Diplomacy

Allied:
Nobody

Neutral:

Just about everybody

Unfriendly:
Nomads/Keepers/Das Wilde
Phantoms
The Coalition

Permitted Ships
  • "Star" series, though those aren't recommended
  • Hawk/Griffin/Falcon/Eagle series
  • Roc Mk II Bomber (Lieutenants and up only)
  • Zoner Gunboat in 4.85 (Commanders and up only)
  • Talarca Cruiser (Commodore only)
Approved Weapons

Any weapons of the Civilian line, any generic missiles/mines/disruptors, torpedos, Mini Razor (last two for Bombers only). NO Supernova Antimatter Cannons permitted.

Ranks
  • Ensign (unlimited): The lowest-ranking troops. May fly only Fighters.
  • Sub-Lieutenant (unlimited): Low-ranking officer, command over Ensigns. May fly only Fighters.
  • Lieutenant (unlimited): Low-ranking officer, has command over Ensigns and Sub-Lieutenants. May fly Fighters and Bombers.
  • Lieutenant Commander (10): Mid-ranking officer, has command over Ensigns and Lieutenants. May fly Fighters and Bombers.
  • Commander (5): Mid-ranking officer with command over all lower ranks. May fly Fighters, Bombers and Gunboats.
  • Captain (2): High-ranking officer with command over all lower ranks. Answer directly to the Commodore. May fly Fighters, Bombers and Gunboats.
  • Commodore (1): The head of the SPT. May fly anything. Has command of the SPT's only Cruiser, the [SPT]Unity.
Identification

Currently Military ID, however, will have to change to something else come 4.85. Please suggest. A "Peacekeeper ID" may come in handy.
No IFF - completely non-partisan.

Naming Conventions

Ensign: [SPT]Ens.Initial.Lastname
Sub-Lieutenant: [SPT]SubLt.Initial.Lastname
Lieutenant: [SPT]Lt.Initial.Lastname
Lieutenant Commander: [SPT]LtComm.Initial.Lastname
Commander: [SPT]Comm.Initial.Lastname
Captain: [SPT]Cpt.Initial.Lastname
Commodore: [SPT]Cmd.Initial.Lastname
Gunboats and Capital Ships: [SPT]Ship.Name

Regulations
  • We are not the police. Our role is to keep the peace between warring houses, not stop smugglers. We don't care if you have 4000 tons of Cardamine in your hold; the most you'll get out of us is a disapproving finger-wag. However, don't expect the house authorities to be quite as lenient. Also, we're quite prepared to let pirates go on their merry way so long as they're not bothering anyone. Start harassing traders and we will probably ask you to clear off, but that's as far as it goes.
  • We do not take sides. We don't want ANY fighting between the major Houses. If there's a battle going on, stop it. Under no circumstances are you to exclusively assist any side. The ONLY exception is if there is an incursion into House space, at which point we will order the attackers to leave and the defenders to cease fire. We will assist the defenders only if the attackers refuse to leave, and then we'll make it clear to the defenders that they are not to retaliate.
  • Engage only as a last resort or in self-defence. Even those who are on our Unfriendly list will not be engaged unless absolutely necessary. Negotiation before termination, always.
  • WE ARE NOT THE POLICE! Just in case that wasn't clear enough the first time.
Thoughts? Comments? Criticisms? Death threats?

[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - ivr56 - 11-26-2008

Sounds kinda like NATO or UN peacekeepers.
Good concept and idea.

[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - Orin - 11-26-2008

The GMG and Rheinland would never start another war. The GMG doesn't give a crap (I'm one of the leaders) and Rheinland isn't stupid enough to start another losing battle.

Steer it in a different direction. Bretonia/Kusari or Liberty/Rheinland is your best bet.

[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - Xing - 11-26-2008

my, you wrote out nearly exactly the same thing I did months before you joined here =P except mine went by the name of United Houses of Sirius. Nice job.

[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - Turkish - 11-26-2008

Indeed, Seth and I had a similar idea as well.

[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - Thexare - 11-26-2008

Gunboat: Zoner Gunboat in 4.85, I'd say. From what I hear, the infocard was written to allow for general purchase.

Cruiser: Short of a special RP request, isn't happening; even Military ID doesn't allow it. That said, for a flagship it may be workable. Consider a Zoner Destroyer instead, if you can; the Talarca is banned in Liberty. You may be able to get them to make an exception, though.

ID: Assuming Military is no longer an option in 4.85 (sadly, I think this'll be the case, though I've suggested a few tweaks that should let it work), I'd suggest Freelancer or Mercenary. Functionally, they're identical, it's just a matter of name.

' Wrote:Gunboat: Zoner Gunboat in 4.85, I'd say. From what I hear, the infocard was written to allow for general purchase.

Cruiser: Short of a special RP request, isn't happening; even Military ID doesn't allow it. That said, for a flagship it may be workable. Consider a Zoner Destroyer instead, if you can; the Talarca is banned in Liberty. You may be able to get them to make an exception, though.

Thanks for the Gunboat suggestion. As for the Talarca, we wouldn't be taking it into Liberty, and there'd be a maximum of two, maybe three at any one time.

[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - Koolmo - 11-26-2008

' Wrote:Ranks
  • Sergeant (unlimited): Low-ranking officer, has command over Ensigns. May fly only Fighters.
  • Lieutenant (10): Mid-ranking officer, had command over Ensigns and Sergeants. May fly Fighters and Bombers.
  • Captain (5): Mid-ranking officer with command over all lower ranks. May fly Fighters, Bombers and Gunboats.
  • Lt. Commander (2): High-ranking officer with command over all lower ranks. Answer directly to the Commander. May fly Fighters, Bombers, Gunboats and Cruisers.
  • Commander (1): The head of the SPT. May fly anything.
Identification

My bloody pet peeve is mixing and matching of Occifer and Noncom ranks. Sergeants are OUTRANKED by ensigns, and if you're using naval ranks, I assume you are, captain outranks a Commander, and an Lt. Commander

So, my suggestion to you, is to remove the sergeant rank, replacing it with lieutenant, replace the current LT with Lt Commander, replace Captain with Commander, and Lt. Commander with Captain. Make your Commander a Commodore. Your rank structure would then look like this...
  • Lieutenant(unlimited): Low-ranking officer, has command over Ensigns. May fly only Fighters.
  • Lieutenant Commander(10): Mid-ranking officer, had command over Ensigns and Lieutenants. May fly Fighters and Bombers.
  • Commander (5): Mid-ranking officer with command over all lower ranks. May fly Fighters, Bombers and Gunboats.
  • Captain (2): High-ranking officer with command over all lower ranks. Answer directly to the Commodore. May fly Fighters, Bombers, Gunboats and Cruisers.
  • Commodore (1): The head of the SPT. May fly anything.
Alternatly, you could replace your sergeant rank with "Sub-Lieutenant", or "Second Lieutenant", and then move everything up a level from there.

If you're still keen on using noncom ranks, replace ensign with Corporal, and then move Captain to the top, moving Lt. Commander and Commander down a peg.

Seriously, I hate it when people do that...

Aside from that, it seems a decent idea, but I'm not sure how much interest you'll get, or even response from the community. If someone got in front of my privateer, telling him that war was wrong and shooting down and fining transports was bad, I'd but two in the chest and one in the head, and worry about the rest later.

Kudos on making the Coalition unfriendly, but you might as well move us to full-on hostile... we'll shoot you, regardless of what kind of peace you're trying to keep.

Koolmo: Thanks, updated ranking structure as suggested.

[SPT] Sirius Peacekeeping Taskforce - TDLdark - 11-26-2008

While this is a good concept, I believe it's not a freelancer possible idea.

This idea seems more political in design, since, who the hell prevents wars by fighting? It might sound good, and someone will bring up the idea of Peacekeepers are soldiers...

Peacekeepers are sent in to a area when both opposing groups agree to their presence. It is important becuase they are called peaceKEEPERS not peaceMAKERS.

This would likely take place more politically, becuase I can hardly see how a few military units patrolling an area could prevent a war.
This is a very reasonable concept, just not something that can be done so well in Freelancer.

Also, what exactly will you be doing to prevent wars? This is exactly why I don't think this is a good freelancer idea. Politics wise, there would be a lot that can be done, but freelancer wise, there's not much you can do.

What I suggest is getting rid of the caps, maybe a single cruiser and two or three gunboats. However, I think Luxury liners and house transports would be better in this case, since you are trying to keep peace via negotiation, not fighting