Discovery Gaming Community
Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Official Player Factions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=60)
+---- Forum: Edge Worlds (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+----- Forum: Core| (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=678)
+----- Thread: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread (/showthread.php?tid=141405)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Lythrilux - 02-10-2018

Am I going to regret asking for advice/feedback by bumping this.

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - "Jade Fire" - 02-10-2018

Ignore this if you want Wrote:Just to get it out of the way....
[Image: 15l4w6.jpg]

Jokes aside, I'm glad to see the Core being more active and doing RP more often then they did in the past to be honest Lyth and I'm not sure what the cause of it was that brought it to such. I used to hate RPing with your Core last year because it was sorta...derpy if you will when it came down to it, but now these days I'm greeted by outstanding roleplay, even from the pvp people in the faction. I'm really impressed with Implosion and his RP with Emiko and my liner, and even much more impressed when what happened two months ago.

Two months ago, Implosion on his Core cap and Cael on his Order cap were about to engage in a fight, alot of RP was going on so going with the RP, I parked my liner between both Jack and Caels char and told them to stop fighting. To much shock, both people RP'd back and didn't fight, that is alot different then in the past where I would of just got blasted.

I got nothing to say other then being impressed with the steps Core has taken to bettering themselves, and hopes that you and your faction keep it up!

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Sombs - 02-10-2018

@Implosion keeps the Core alive. He always gives nice fights, his RP ingame and on forum is great and he's generally a cool fellow to interact with. I also can't wait for @Docent to be back again. He put incredibly much efforts into APM since I left. Same as with Implosion, very fair, very fun to play with, good RP both on forum and ingame and a nice fellow. It's really not surprising people have a better picture about the Core since those two are active parts of it and in leading positions. You couldn't have found better people.

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Lythrilux - 02-20-2018

I'm hearing some things including the R-word so I'm just going to clarify some things about the fight that just took place in Alpha:

1. It's entirely within both our RP and our ID for Core to make alliances on the fly. The Core's extremely flexible morals would permit them to temporarily side with a hostile party if it means victory.
2. We had the pick of shooting Outcasts or Corsairs since it was a threeway. We ended up picking Corsairs since they had larger numbers, in order to balance it out.
3. There's cooperative RP going on in the background between Enma Loyola and Commune, giving Core and Commune ties to each other.
4. The Core ID lacks the "Cannot partake in unlawful actions" ID line which normally prevents hostile factions from siding/grouping with each other (we didn't even group with them).

Complaining about this is hypocritical because:
1. Several Corsairs in the fight were also trying to encourage Outcasts to side with them and shoot us.
2. A Colonial Cap was present, assisting Corsairs against OC, and CR have actually listed Corsairs as unfriendly in their diplomacy.

Lastly, the Outcasts ended up shooting us anyway, some of them did so even when there were still Corsairs around.

In conclusion: what occurred neither broke the rules, our ID or roleplay.

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - PRJKTLRD - 02-20-2018

(02-20-2018, 09:53 PM)Lythrilux Wrote: I'm hearing some things including the R-word so I'm just going to clarify some things about the fight that just took place in Alpha:

1. It's entirely within both our RP and our ID for Core to make alliances on the fly. The Core's extremely flexible morals would permit them to temporarily side with a hostile party if it means victory.
2. We had the pick of shooting Outcasts or Corsairs since it was a threeway. We ended up picking Corsairs since they had larger numbers, in order to balance it out.
3. There's cooperative RP going on in the background between Enma Loyola and Commune, giving Core and Commune ties to each other.
4. The Core ID lacks the "Cannot partake in unlawful actions" ID line which normally prevents hostile factions from siding/grouping with each other (we didn't even group with them).

Complaining about this is hypocritical because:
1. Several Corsairs in the fight were also trying to encourage Outcasts to side with them and shoot us.
2. A Colonial Cap was present, assisting Corsairs against OC, and CR have actually listed Corsairs as unfriendly in their diplomacy.

Lastly, the Outcasts ended up shooting us anyway, some of them did so even when there were still Corsairs around.

In conclusion: what occurred neither broke the rules, our ID or roleplay.

To further explain this as Commune leader, the ties never meant to be... direct. Not until Commune receives their own ID.

It was mean to for beginning be a part of a "no fire deal" between two groups. We would simply not shoot each other while building up the RP.

I was asking Core to leave Alpha as soon as they can and not to shoot Outcasts, if they can.

And yeah, there was Colonial flagship but all in general, I didn't mind anything. A good activity and a fun pew it was I say.

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Lythrilux - 02-20-2018

Yeah, things throughout that fight were pretty under the radar. Overall it was good fun.

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Corile - 05-04-2018

While I haven't bothered reading the entire Core lore (becuase it's too wordy and subjectively not very interesting), someone asked me to point out my issues with certain points of it that make almost the entire faction premise invalid in my view. This wouldn't have been a problem if these outlandish claims were only iRP (as I thought until now), but seeing this post gave me the impression that you ooRPly actually believe these delusions.

Let me bring some reference material.
This thread, first post Wrote:Q: How do The Core finance their operations?
A: The Core has a majority monopoly on Iridium. They mine it from Planet Nauru in Omicron Delta, which is the largest known source of Iridium in the region. They also mine it in the recently discovered Iridium field in Omicron Lost. This is then exported to either Freeport 11, where it is sold onto parties via the Zoners, or The Core sell it to other Corporations and Shipyards throughout Sirius. Iridium itself in an important component in armour, anti-matter weaponry, it can also be used for increasing the efficiency of polymers, creating high-temperature alloys for use in fusion reactors and other high-temperature environments. As Iridium is an extremely rare metal and it's only known abundant source is in Omicron Delta, which is under the control of The Core, and there is a lesser known source in Omicron Lost, the vast majority of the Iridium market effectively belongs to The Core.

And Iridium is only one of their exports. The Core also exports rare alien technology and research materials to interested buyers in Sirius, much to the anger of more conservative groups such as The Order.
And through AP Manufacturing, The Core also sells military/security ships and equipment to Military and Corporate groups in Sirius.

Q: Who supplies The Core?
The Core is either supplied via supply convoys done by AP Manufacturing, or is supplied through the assistance of their allies. This post goes into more depth. The Core is not self-sufficient, nor has a Core leader ever declared such. Please put that meme to rest. The Core has arguably done more roleplay than the vast majority of other factions in Disco when it comes to justifying their supply and maintenance.
Quote:By the dawn of 823 A.S, Nauru had amassed over 200,000 civilians
Lyth Wrote:We're rich.

Premise
First assumption here is that Core can sustain a war fleet not only capable enough to defend themselves against assaults from Order, Outcasts and Corsairs, but also have any credible means of expansion (because if not, then why don't the Order, Outcasts or Corsairs just forcibly remove the Core? Especially considering they're painting a target on their back by trying to seize Nauru).

Secondly, we can also kind of assume that economic structures of the Houses (especially Liberty and Rheinland) as well as Outcasts' and Corsairs' (because their population sizes are also comparatively large to that of the Core) have at least slight resemblance to that of the real worlds', in which taxation is by far the most important source of income even in countries with low economic freedom.

Additionally from the above excerpts we can infer that the main source of Core's revenue is export of iridium and Nomad materials. So this, as well as my first assumption about the power of Core fleet, would imply that somehow Core's export revenue is proportionally similar to that brought by taxation of 600 million people on Crete and 470 million people on Malta.

Nomad exports and iridium
Now of course, we can say that it’s fine because Nomad exports are just really valuable. If that’s true then – why don’t the governments of Houses who allegedly are buying that Nomad material just simply mount their own expeditions into the Omicrons? While in the case of Liberty or Bretonia it’s not the most preferable route, Rheinland has a major fleet and Omicrons just around their doorstep and no actual military conflicts to deal with, surely they could spare some ships to not have to pay outlandish prices from some Omicron mercenaries.

And this is even not mentioning the fact that Corsairs also export Nomad stuff in the form of smuggled Artifacts and Xeno Relics. I find it difficult to believe that somehow Core manages to make their own material more valuable than that smuggled by Corsairs and Order. And even Liberty and Bretonia could gather that material from the black markets because surely if the possible profits are this high then legalisation of the black market is certainly a price that can be paid to obtain these massive profits.

Even further, if Core sells not Nomad material but just technology then I can't help but notice that this business model is just unsustainable because new technology that can be stolen from the Nomads will end at some point. All the magical magics Nomads have access to will eventually be researched by others and just like that Core would lose all its profits.

Similarly if its Iridium which is that profitable (which by in-game prices we know it isn't but let's just say that in-game prices are for the sake of balance and do not represent the actual state of Sirius economy) then other corporations would attempt to break Core's monopoly, possibly with the backing of their respective governments allies (Samura with the support of Kusari fleet and also Corsairs, also perhaps ALG and Rheinland). After all, if it's that profitable, why wouldn't they take the risk.

So this is it in terms of the "meme" (lol xd) about Core generating money out of thin air. But it doesn't stop there.

Lyth Wrote:Our levels of immigration would be relatively higher than that of other powers in the Edge Worlds because we're treated as a lawful state-like entity by the greater Sirian populace
Core lore Wrote:Imperium Omicronis is a totalitarian state. The Core sees no limits on its authority, and thus strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible. The media is state controlled, and the only political party is the one led by the Guildmaster. Power is asserted power through an all-encompassing propaganda campaign, which is distributed throughout all of the Edge Worlds. The Guildmaster employs political repression, personality cultism, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of speech, mass surveillance, and if needed widespread use of terror i.e public executions.

Immigration
While Corsairs have minimal immigration (because the Corsair laws strictly forbid people being imported on Crete), claim about Core having larger immigration than Malta and its slave workers is laughable. And if we're only considering "free" people, Core has very little to offer because of its claims being "totalitarian".

This is also another thing. I don't know about your knowledge of history, but the thing about totalitarian empires is that they usually have a hard time attracting people to immigrate there. Rather, they try their very hardest to keep people from running away from them (Berlin Wall?). In Freelancer, where running away should generally be pretty easy (charge cruise, baiiI), the Core has no way to ensure that the victims of persecutions don't start spreading the truth.

Conclusion
I was about to write something more about these things but I don't have any more time. I guess I'm not really bringing anything new to the table here because most of the server already knows the Core is powergamed to the skies. In my view it would be best to finally call Core a failed experiment and return to BHG roots which is a much more reasonable concept, but it's understandable that with the current state of Discovery this is unlikely to happen.

But you may just want to make your lore include more plausible reasons why a comapratively small faction hostile to everything in the Omicrons (Corsairs, Outcasts, Hessians, Zoners, Order, Coalition, SCRA, AI) manages to survive more than 20 minutes.

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Lythrilux - 05-04-2018

Didn't I cover this already in another thread you whined in ages ago? Posts which you conveniently ignored to keep pushing your point?

Old news. Cba.

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Enkidu - 05-04-2018

Core was originally bankrolled by the Sirian houses as a means of exerting edge worlds influence, which gave them a compelling reason for all their equipment. That still exists to some degree (I mean, it's not as if they have enough of an economic base to even compare with the Order, so there has to be more going on there), although the "state" language throws that off. But yet again, the Core always was internally ambitious.

I think the Core nowadays does a reasonable job of remembering that the Core's strength is dependent upon providing services to those who fund them. Despite things like APM and Iridum export, that is definitely not enough to allow the Core to field entire battlegroups in an area that chews supply lines up and spits them out. If it was just the resources of the Core and the resources of the Order, the Order would almost certainly win, but the Core don't have to be self-sufficient and never really were in the first place. The Order are + shadow support from other organisations.

RE: Core| - The Core Feedback and Announcement Thread - Implosion - 05-04-2018

Quote:Premise
First assumption here is that Core can sustain a war fleet not only capable enough to defend themselves against assaults from Order, Outcasts and Corsairs, but also have any credible means of expansion (because if not, then why don't the Order, Outcasts or Corsairs just forcibly remove the Core? Especially considering they're painting a target on their back by trying to seize Nauru).
Because this isn't real world. If things were going by your logic, everything that was not house military would've been wiped out ages ago.

Quote:Secondly, we can also kind of assume that economic structures of the Houses (especially Liberty and Rheinland) as well as Outcasts' and Corsairs' (because their population sizes are also comparatively large to that of the Core) have at least slight resemblance to that of the real worlds', in which taxation is by far the most important source of income even in countries with low economic freedom.
Iridium is expensive and rare. It's more than enough to sustain us. But we do have other incomes as well. And we also actively interact with actual people. So stop accusing us of power gaming.
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=129429&pid=1993944#pid1993944
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=160559&pid=1993337#pid1993337

Quote:Nomad exports and iridium
Now of course, we can say that it’s fine because Nomad exports are just really valuable. If that’s true then – why don’t the governments of Houses who allegedly are buying that Nomad material just simply mount their own expeditions into the Omicrons? While in the case of Liberty or Bretonia it’s not the most preferable route, Rheinland has a major fleet and Omicrons just around their doorstep and no actual military conflicts to deal with, surely they could spare some ships to not have to pay outlandish prices from some Omicron mercenaries.

When you want to eat some fish, why don't you go fishing yourself? What happens when you want some chicken nuggets for lunch?

Quote:And this is even not mentioning the fact that Corsairs also export Nomad stuff in the form of smuggled Artifacts and Xeno Relics. I find it difficult to believe that somehow Core manages to make their own material more valuable than that smuggled by Corsairs and Order. And even Liberty and Bretonia could gather that material from the black markets because surely if the possible profits are this high then legalisation of the black market is certainly a price that can be paid to obtain these massive profits.

Even further, if Core sells not Nomad material but just technology then I can't help but notice that this business model is just unsustainable because new technology that can be stolen from the Nomads will end at some point. All the magical magics Nomads have access to will eventually be researched by others and just like that Core would lose all its profits.

Corsairs export artifacts. Are you kidding me? Do you even know what nomads materials you are speaking about? Artifacts that are thousand of years old and fresh biological material?
Further more, we try to keep an eye on the black market and shut them down. Sometimes, literally and by force.

Quote:Similarly if its Iridium which is that profitable (which by in-game prices we know it isn't but let's just say that in-game prices are for the sake of balance and do not represent the actual state of Sirius economy) then other corporations would attempt to break Core's monopoly, possibly with the backing of their respective governments allies (Samura with the support of Kusari fleet and also Corsairs, also perhaps ALG and Rheinland). After all, if it's that profitable, why wouldn't they take the risk.

So this is it in terms of the "meme" (lol xd) about Core generating money out of thin air. But it doesn't stop there.

See my previous question. Last time I checked, countries didn't do any hostile takeovers on private businesses. Especially PMCs with the ability and the knowledge to hold their ground.

Quote: Lyth Wrote:
Our levels of immigration would be relatively higher than that of other powers in the Edge Worlds because we're treated as a lawful state-like entity by the greater Sirian populace
Core lore Wrote:
Imperium Omicronis is a totalitarian state. The Core sees no limits on its authority, and thus strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible. The media is state controlled, and the only political party is the one led by the Guildmaster. Power is asserted power through an all-encompassing propaganda campaign, which is distributed throughout all of the Edge Worlds. The Guildmaster employs political repression, personality cultism, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of speech, mass surveillance, and if needed widespread use of terror i.e public executions.

Immigration
While Corsairs have minimal immigration (because the Corsair laws strictly forbid people being imported on Crete), claim about Core having larger immigration than Malta and its slave workers is laughable. And if we're only considering "free" people, Core has very little to offer because of its claims being "totalitarian".

This is also another thing. I don't know about your knowledge of history, but the thing about totalitarian empires is that they usually have a hard time attracting people to immigrate there. Rather, they try their very hardest to keep people from running away from them (Berlin Wall?). In Freelancer, where running away should generally be pretty easy (charge cruise, baiiI), the Core has no way to ensure that the victims of persecutions don't start spreading the truth.
Do we count slaves as immigrants now? 'cause they are obviously not. That's expendable work force. The Immigrants Lyth meant are different than the one you assumed he meant. Totalitarian doesn't mean we kill our "citizens" for wearing the wrong kind of shoes. You're going from one extreme to another, twisting facts, words and statements.

Quote:Conclusion
I was about to write something more about these things but I don't have any more time. I guess I'm not really bringing anything new to the table here because most of the server already knows the Core is powergamed to the skies. In my view it would be best to finally call Core a failed experiment and return to BHG roots which is a much more reasonable concept, but it's understandable that with the current state of Discovery this is unlikely to happen.

But you may just want to make your lore include more plausible reasons why a comapratively small faction hostile to everything in the Omicrons (Corsairs, Outcasts, Hessians, Zoners, Order, Coalition, SCRA, AI) manages to survive more than 20 minutes.

I'm glad you did stop, having to explain obvious things is really taxing. Also, power gamed to the skies? Pardon me? We've had to wait more than FIVE years for a docking ring and it is, to this day still inactive. The Order got a planet out of thin air after Toledo was shot down. Keep in mind, I was actually a member of the Order| back then and I didn't even knew until the new mod version was rolled out, but I digress again. Back on track, we took Yaren but we gave away Dabadoru. I don't see any powergaming there. As for your next question, your info is outdated. We're not hostile to the zoners. We haven't been hostile to the zoners in a long time. Furthermore, the outcasts have to go through the Corsairs first. I doubt the coalition would waste much resources on something that doesn't directly concern or threaten them. The AI hate all humans, not just Core. And with the risk of repeating myself, if we went by your logic, there would be only house navies flying around. Nothing else.
And let's get to the interesting part. The Order.
I'm sure you know what the Order is supposed to be. And I'm sure you know what the Order currently is, but in case you don't, let's sum it up.
+ We are backed by multi-billion credit sirian corps and they don't have to hide it. That makes shifting resources and funds our way very, very easy.
- The Order are considered terrorists by most. That makes smuggling resources to them abit harder. They have also lost a planet and whole lot of their resources.
+ The Core has a very profitable Iridium business going on. Need I remind you how, at one point, the IMG started in the Taus and then grew to be biggest mining faction on the server? There are a whole lot of credits in raw resources. You don't need a lot of brains to make it work. You need heavy metal miners and people to buy your stuff. I won't go into detail, I'm sure you can google the usage of Iridium.
- What can the Order mine, again? What are their exports? Who pays for their operations?
+ We have our very own shipping and manufacturing company. It's been like that for ages. Further more, it builds ships. Who do you think built the whole BHG's ships? Tell me there's no profit in that.
- When last the last time you've seen an order transport?

That being said, we have proved ICly and OOCly that we have legitimate income. The very fact you chose to read between the lines is hilarious. You even admit it.
You don't like the faction, okay, I get it. No many people actually like Core. That's their own choice, they have the right to it. I'm not trying to forcefully insert my faction into your business. However, you do fall into that one percent that is actively trying to drag us through the dirt with arguments you pulled out of thin air and quotes that you have picked out very carefully.
It seems you have a deep personal grudge against the faction as a whole. I see no other reason why you call something "a failed experiment". Especially when that failed experiment has been around for more than half a decade before you even knew what Discovery Freelancer was.

I'm sorry man, but at the end of day, this is a game. This is not an "Economics simulator". People come here to have fun. Some find shooting stuff fun, others like to play a certain role.
There's those of us who like building factions and keeping them alive, facing the consequences and reaping the benefits of their actions.
A whole lot of people need to remember that this is a game and not everything makes sense in games. There are some many inaccurate things in disco and I don't even know where to start. But you don't see me openly hating on others, especially if I don't have all the facts to back my accusations.

tl;dr: What Lyth said.

PS:
Quote: someone asked me to point out my issues with certain points
So, you are asking for a friend? xD