Discovery Gaming Community
Reporting a character's name from the Player List - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Reporting a character's name from the Player List (/showthread.php?tid=142365)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - Vendetta - 08-22-2016

(08-22-2016, 01:01 AM)Magnifique Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 12:35 AM)Inferno Wrote: I found a player named 'Jesus' on the player list today. I'm pretty sure he couldn't fly a spaceship.

This report feature would be nice, so that I dont have religious deities flying around pirating me for 2 million or shooting some bounty hunter

Jesus is a moderately common name in south America.

In a lot of places actually. It isn't a religious thing as much as people would like to believe it is, but just a name.

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - Demonic - 08-22-2016

(08-22-2016, 12:40 AM)JorgeRyan Wrote: In my short time on the server, I've seen worse names than "John Cena", namely "@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@" and "Cummies" to name a few. So yeah naming your character after a person/meme is a bit weird but its still a proper name not some spammed symbol(s) or worse. And while I can't find it now, I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the name you chose should be a reasonable name for the ship or character you are playing as.

To be fair, I actually thought about making some Lib lawful ship like... LN-John.Cena, just for them lulz. So I don't really think that name is a problem. The other ones though... yeah, that's a little too much imho.

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - Magnifique - 08-22-2016

(08-22-2016, 01:08 AM)Vendetta Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 01:01 AM)Magnifique Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 12:35 AM)Inferno Wrote: I found a player named 'Jesus' on the player list today. I'm pretty sure he couldn't fly a spaceship.

This report feature would be nice, so that I dont have religious deities flying around pirating me for 2 million or shooting some bounty hunter

Jesus is a moderately common name in south America.

In a lot of places actually. It isn't a religious thing as much as people would like to believe it is, but just a name.

My Portuguese co-worker has her bank account in a bank called "Espiritu Sanctu" (Holy spirit). It's the bank owner's family name.

In West Africa there's a radio station called "Radio Immaculate Conception ". Always thought "Inmaculada ConcepciĆ³n" would make a great name for an Outcast or Corsair cap ship.

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - Sorrontis - 08-22-2016

(08-22-2016, 12:36 AM)Magnifique Wrote: A useful tool for reporting obvious troll names and people who know they're trolling, but wouldn't it be less work for the admins if people talked to the people about their names ingame first, and only report them if they refuse to rename to something reasonable?

Maybe, but people some people won't listen if there's no authority behind those speaking.

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - Magnifique - 08-22-2016

(08-22-2016, 01:26 AM)Sorrontis Wrote:
(08-22-2016, 12:36 AM)Magnifique Wrote: A useful tool for reporting obvious troll names and people who know they're trolling, but wouldn't it be less work for the admins if people talked to the people about their names ingame first, and only report them if they refuse to rename to something reasonable?

Maybe, but people some people won't listen if there's no authority behind those speaking.

I know. But some do. I just see admins flooded with reports, 50% of which could have been avoided by talking to people first.

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - Eurobeat - 08-22-2016

I think this is a great idea. There are people putting their youtube channels as names and when they pass you they say "subscribe my channel bro good video Smile))))" and thats rather annoying

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - sindroms - 08-22-2016

My argument for this suggestion is that names are usually such a very minor offense that most people do not bother reporting it. And they are usually not worth sanctioning either - just renaming to something different and deducting the 2mil fee for the rename.

The whole thing seems trivial, but it does add up over time, especially during the server load times when you check the list and around 15 names are not what you'd call IRP. For all the mentioned reasons.

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - Pvt.Pirate - 08-23-2016

Also those names don't even hint at which faction they might be from.
with a usual english name, you might guess it's either liberty or bretonia, a german/norse name and it's rheinland, anything sounding asian might give a hint too.
also they seem to often just go about their business and don't RP at all, even when written to. but maybe that's just my impression from today in philadelphia Big Grin

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - xiphos - 08-24-2016

U Russ?)))

Anyways. Was a good idea to create a thread like this. Might be very helpful. Keep it up

RE: Reporting a character's name from the Player List - sindroms - 08-24-2016

I did not create anything, I just photoshopped the picture into what it should look like....