Discovery Gaming Community
Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? (/showthread.php?tid=142447)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Wesker - 08-23-2016

I promised myself to avoid this subforum, but this past week has really pushed me to the point to ask myself this question. When I think of "Roleplaying a character" I think of actually setting aside my own personal thoughts and beliefs and acting as what that character would think of or act on. Too often do I see the collective style of RPing a character who thinks the same way the person does oorply. It's kinda weird, people have always told me I'm a bad RPer yet when those same people fly an ordinary secondary fleet character they don't "role play" a character in the secondary fleet or primary they just act like themselves oorply. The whole reason I'm bringing this topic up is because this past week I've gotten a lot of rage skype pms regarding my RHA comms, people assume that what I post in those comms is how I actually feel oorply. It's not, I'm ROLEPLAYING the character. It's just some reoccurring thing that has been bothering me and I felt the need to ask the community if they see the same thing just as often, or if its just me. It wasn't necessarily my oorp motive to siege solitare, in fact I went to the owner the night before the siege and explained this to him. But inrply the character I was RPing would be motivated to go as far as sieging the base completely.

tl dr are you actually acting as the character you "Role play" or are your oorp motives completely dictating your characters motives?

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Kauket - 08-23-2016

Yes. I think all characters should have their own spirit - if they're going to be motivated by oorp interests, then you're already making it a self-insert to a degree.

I try to keep OORP interests out of the story. But some people have to remember that characters ARE NOT THE PLAYERS.

Pretty sure J.K. Rowling said something along the lines of,

"I'm not racist. The character is racist. "

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Sombs - 08-23-2016

I don't know what should have been wrong with sieging Solitaire Metropolis. Yes, during the siege, many people gave an eff about writing attack lines, like RHA ships attacking the Corsairs without any line, but my god, that's the only thing I can see about that. Forum RP was done about it and that's good. Don't let them make you insecure. You finally give more shits about RP, so that's good, isn't it? Big Grin

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Skorak - 08-23-2016

I even had characters going into completely different directions than I had hoped and wanted. Sure you can go in and force them to take the turns you want but that takes the fun out of it for me.

Most characters often get something from their creators. And exaggerated trait or something. That is okay and common.

But I was always extremely bored by people who rp themselves completely. Ingame you cannot see most of the character itself much imo. And in the end it also comes to your personal skill and not the ones of your character. That is when it usually becomes difficult for me to rp the character. Especially with fairplay in mind. Like I could and would run as the character. But I know for the fun of everyone involved I shouldn't.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - sindroms - 08-23-2016

No.
I usually end up RPing the same ''kind'' of character. If I want to lean towards extremes in order to make my characters seemingly different from one another for myself, it might be mistaken for oorp motivated abuse when it comes to badguy characters.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Operator - 08-23-2016

Each and everyone of my characters has it's own unique RP story. I even make spare ships for them. Like... One of the crew member of the Archangel has her own Falcon and the former RO of "Lightseeker" was the actual Oracle and had his own Roc and Sutinga.

If I'm tired of roleplay, I just play Crossfire or Nightstalker's Universe.

Just kidding. I'm not getting tired of roleplay. That's why I still stay here.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Jayce - 08-23-2016

I only rp a character I genuinely care about, if I'm entirely honest, and those characters are hard to come by right now. I can think of exactly two off the top of my head, out of dozens.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Sanctions - 08-23-2016

Only here for blues, nothing else.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Traxit - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 04:42 PM)Sanctions Wrote: Only here for blues, nothing else.

Spoken like a true PvPwhore.
I'm here also for the blues

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Kauket - 08-23-2016

I remember a time where there was a rule that said "Discovery is a Roleplay server, roleplay is REQUIRED here. "

Weird how it's gone.