Discovery Gaming Community
Getting Starlancer working...? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Getting Starlancer working...? (/showthread.php?tid=143075)

Getting Starlancer working...? - TheWorldSmith - 09-10-2016

Hello! Big Grin

So recently I managed to find two copies of Starlancer, one of my childhood favourites, with the intention of playing coop and I'm having trouble getting it working. It's completely installed and seems to have had the no-cd applied successfully (afaik) - but every time I open the shortcut, or click play in the menu for autorun, it returns to me saying that I need DirectX 7.0 or higher installed in order to play.

I'm on Windows 7 64bit and keep myself up to date, both with drivers and otherwise. Anybody got any ideas? From some hours of Googling earlier I couldn't find a solution. Thanks!

(P.S. I don't know if it's appropriate to post about Starlancer here, but I searched and saw other Starlancer threads, so hopefully it is. ^.^)

(P.P.S Also, does anybody know how many players Starlancer supports for coop? I want to grab as many friends as I can.)

RE: Getting Starlancer working...? - KaelanFrey - 09-10-2016

Hey dude, glad to see another StarLancer player around here. Try running the game directly from the exe in its main directory in Compatibility mode with these settings, I use them and the game runs fine for me:
(some of these are directly translated from Portuguese. You might need to make some compromises)

Windows 98/Windows ME
Disable visual themes
Disable desktop composition
Run as Administrator

If that doesn't work, install the DirectX redist that comes with the game's disk. I don't know if this can cause problems or not. You might want to create a system restore point just in case.

The game supports up to 4 player coop I believe.

RE: Getting Starlancer working...? - TheWorldSmith - 10-03-2016

Hey man!

Thanks for your help. We managed to get it working in Windows 7 and Windows 10 respectively through your compatibility options that you gave us and through using a no-CD crack.

I've got another problem for you though: we can't seem to connect to each other. Obviously MSN Gaming Zone doesn't work anymore and we can't find each other over the Internet use TCP/IP. I've got the port 47624 forwarded of course and no sessions show up.

We're also having difficulty finding each other over LAN. Myself and my housemate managed to find each other once, after several failed attempts over LAN, and then from there we haven't been able to join each other since. It just says that there are no game sessions found.

Getting it working over the internet isn't something I'm really concerned with (even though that would be great); I just really want to get this working over LAN at least. Any help you could give me would be great.

RE: Getting Starlancer working...? - TheWorldSmith - 10-08-2016

Bump! Anybody got anything to add?

I'm going to be trying GameRanger tomorrow, seeing as Tunngle doesn't seem to be working. I dug up some old posts from 2013 and 2014 across various sites, such as Reddit, which seemed to suggest that GameRanger was a viable solution. (Although I have my doubts, given how we couldn't get Tunngle to help.)