Discovery Gaming Community
Conditions in Sirius - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Conditions in Sirius (/showthread.php?tid=14358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Conditions in Sirius - Unseelie - 12-09-2008

Speaking with Elgato, I realized (because he told me) that he considers the conditions in Siruis to be much worse than the wild west, much worse than the dark ages. He considers them to be close to those in fallout 3.

Soo...what's the consensus?

Conditions in Sirius - Drake - 12-09-2008

While conditions in space seem to be quite dangerous, about Wild Westish in my opinion (though perhaps less so, with escape pods and such things), I imagine planets and major stations to be quite safe (relatively speaking, and some places, like Leeds or Crete, might be much worse). Obviously certain professions will be more dangerous than others, but generally there's no reason to assume that planets and stations will be significantly more dangerous than things now (and possibly less so, in some cases...).

Conditions in Sirius - Derkylos - 12-09-2008

I'd think it would be pretty safe for someone living on Manhattan, it should be very rare for a hostile fleet to actually appear in orbit and harm the population below.

On the other hand, someone living on a freeport or in a ship is uncomfortably close to pure nothingness, and thus should feel rather vulnerable.

Even in our present-day aircraft, should everything go pear-shaped, there is a small chance of survival, wheras, for a spaceship pilot, they have about 30 seconds before they go *pop*, assuming the extreme cold dosnt get to them first...

Conditions in Sirius - Monk - 12-09-2008

I like to view Sirius as collectively paranoid. Similar in nature to the Cold War but a bit more hot. Everyone is suspected of having some ulterior motive or, worse, infested by Nomads. I'll pass on Fallout since strong societies are able to exert influence in a really effective way that a destroyed society couldn't support. I also pass on Dark ages for similar reasons but in that large organized groups maintain advances in technology rather than stagnation. Wild West, I think, can apply to the edge and border worlds as they are generally lawless but the main blocks of nations are fairly safe. That would also apply to the Colonial sense in that forging new civilizations on border worlds would be similar with powerful nations vying for resources.

Therefore, I will personally add Cold War dangerous in the way of paranoia, cyclical spats of hot war, fast grabs at territory and a constant threat of sector-wide conflict.

Conditions in Sirius - pchwang - 12-09-2008

This actually is a super condensed version of what I was saying.

What I meant is that the current population statistics in Sirius cannot be represented by a linear, continuous function.

Instead, it is a piecewise function, independent variable being Age, and dependent variable being Life Span.

Conditions in Sirius - Unseelie - 12-09-2008

I've already set up a piecewise function, as I've explained to you.
Moreover, the first hundred years of each sleeper's development are a separate function, based on the assumption that the first 100 years would support a pro babies colonial cultural mindset, and as such, have much higher growth rates, as suggested by Drake.

Conditions in Sirius - Drake - 12-09-2008

' Wrote:I've already set up a piecewise function, as I've explained to you.
Moreover, the first hundred years of each sleeper's development are a separate function, based on the assumption that the first 100 years would support a pro babies colonial cultural mindset, and as such, have much higher growth rates, as suggested by Drake.

First hundred years would also be the most dangerous, but I expect the pro-baby mindset may have lasted a fair bit longer than 100 years. New planets to survey and colonize, new bodies needed in the mines and shipyards, always need more people.

Conditions in Sirius - pchwang - 12-09-2008

No, age as in age of the individual.

For instance, from 0-18, projected lifespan may be higher than the 18-60 range, since the individual will be exposed to the hazards of space. 60-100 will have the highest lifespan, since those individuals will most likely have retired to the comfort of a safe base or planet.

Conditions in Sirius - pieguy259 - 12-09-2008

' Wrote:I'd think it would be pretty safe for someone living on Manhattan, it should be very rare for a hostile fleet to actually appear in orbit and harm the population below.

On the other hand, someone living on a freeport or in a ship is uncomfortably close to pure nothingness, and thus should feel rather vulnerable.

Even in our present-day aircraft, should everything go pear-shaped, there is a small chance of survival, wheras, for a spaceship pilot, they have about 30 seconds before they go *pop*, assuming the extreme cold dosnt get to them first...

Actually, you will neither explode nor freeze if exposed to hard vacuum. You'll get all sorts of nasty pressure injuries, but you won't go pop. You can't freeze, either: in order to lose heat, there must first be something to lose heat to.

Conditions in Sirius - jshkornmiller - 12-09-2008

yay! 600th post!

Anyway, its very close to fall out 3. the politics in siruis are very unstable at the moment. i expect Rhoineland and liberty to be at war in the next mod. and kusari to have moved into leeds ond be moving on up to stokes smelter or even the planet itself.