Discovery Gaming Community
Donation drive and new server - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Donation drive and new server (/showthread.php?tid=143613)

Pages: 1 2

Donation drive and new server - DiscoveryGC Admins - 09-26-2016

As notified in the previous thread, we have been hard at work for the past two weeks to solve the ongoing issues with the server. No doubt you have noticed the recent forum crash that rendered it unusable for several hours.

Good news is, this is all about to be solved. The migration of the web components is already underway and the developer repository has been the first piece to be migrated this weekend, with everything else following this week.

We took some time to check out the available offers for windows compatible servers for the game server and compare them. Among things, we took into account network stability and availability as a determining criteria. We now have a pick.

The specs of the new server are the following:
- CPU: Intel® Xeon® E3 1245 v5 4 C / 8T @3.5 Ghz (Boost @3.9Ghz)
- Memory: 32 GB DDR4 ECC
- Storage: 3 × 250 GB SSD
- Network: Premium 500 Mbit/s minimum

The current server is set to expire in early november, so we're looking to have everything migrated and running before we hit that deadline. As such, we're now launching a new donation drive.

This server cost approximately 55$ per month, which is cheaper than the current 85$ of OVH. The hardware is superior as well. With this upgrade and some good fine-tuning in FLHook we should have way less load issues in large group events. With these issues gone and disk space not being an issue anymore, several projects will be restarted as well. All in all, it's good stuff.

Unfortunately this good stuff comes at a cost. As we are going for a quality server, we have 60€ of setup fees to pay. This means our initial payment all-combined will be of ~120$. The widget has been adjusted to reflect that initial payment and we will need your help to make it. Any further donation beyond the initial 120$ is more than welcome as it reduces the amount of donation drives we have to set up. We highly recommend the usage of the paypal donation widget located in the sidebar, however if you are unable to use it, you can still directly donate to discoverygcserver@gmail.com.

God speed pilots.

RE: Donation drive and new server - Kalhmera - 09-26-2016

Good stuff, ill happily donate, keep up the amazing work!

RE: Donation drive and new server - absweet - 09-26-2016

Hello
I can donate you the server we have a few decommissioned servers with much higher spec and 10 x 480 SSD Kingstons life span is still pretty, will last another 2 years continues use good dual power supply

I am in South Africa but i can courier the unit down to where ever you want me to send it its very heavy so i will send it in two parcels

Will be cheaper as to send it as one unit
Don't know why
I will send it with 128 GB memory ITs
deul processors xeons will get u the nr of the cpu's
with a 2 x 10 GB network cards if You need switches i can send you that too
Our company keeps servers only 2 years and i ask Management if they will donate the server to you and they said no problem as long as you can send them a thank you note
Server 2012 R2 enterprise is allready install
Let me know if you are intrested

RE: Donation drive and new server - DragonLancer - 09-26-2016

Donated as promised, have fun.

RE: Donation drive and new server - Dragonmaster - 09-26-2016

Donated 25€ again !
Thank's and have fun!

RE: Donation drive and new server - Alley - 09-26-2016

(09-26-2016, 05:56 PM)absweet Wrote: Hello
I can donate you the server we have a few decommissioned servers with much higher spec and 10 x 480 SSD Kingstons life span is still pretty, will last another 2 years continues use good dual power supply

I am in South Africa but i can courier the unit down to where ever you want me to send it its very heavy so i will send it in two parcels

Will be cheaper as to send it as one unit
Don't know why
I will send it with 128 GB memory ITs
deul processors xeons will get u the nr of the cpu's
with a 2 x 10 GB network cards if You need switches i can send you that too
Our company keeps servers only 2 years and i ask Management if they will donate the server to you and they said no problem as long as you can send them a thank you note
Server 2012 R2 enterprise is allready install
Let me know if you are intrested

Hello,

thank you for your offer but it isn't hardware we need. Our problem is hosting and more specifically one resilient to DDOS.

RE: Donation drive and new server - Mickk - 09-27-2016

Donated a few $$, I don't play here as often as I used to, but I DO still play here, at least once a month.

RE: Donation drive and new server - absweet - 09-27-2016

ok will make a donation instead

RE: Donation drive and new server - kenshin156 - 09-27-2016

Well, that went faster than expected. Hope everything goes smoothly from here on out

RE: Donation drive and new server - DragonLancer - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 04:39 AM)Mickk Wrote: Donated a few $$, I don't play here as often as I used to, but I DO still play here, at least once a month.

Wow! Haven't see you for a very long time!