Discovery Gaming Community
Meetup at Barrier Gate - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Forum: Watering Holes (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=149)
+---- Thread: Meetup at Barrier Gate (/showthread.php?tid=143989)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Meetup at Barrier Gate - Demonic - 10-08-2016

Jimmy doesn't pay too much attention to what the scientist is saying at first, but that quickly changes as soon as Jump Holes are mentioned. From that moment, he listens carefully, taking an occasional sip of whisky.

"Well... we - or at least, Ageira - already 'now how to replicate Jump Holes, that's what Jump Gates are, no? Artifical Jump Holes. And there is actually some kind of hyperspace device on the market too, though I ain't sure how effective it is. I have yet to see a ship usin' it."

He thinks for a moment, playing with his empty glass.

"Though... the gates are large and impractical, if ye ask me. Ya always need two of 'em and ya can't really move 'em around much. And the monopol Ageira and DSE has on that things ain't exactly helpin' too."

He makes another brief pause.

"Look, I ain't sure what exactly ya want to find out, but if it's jump holes ya intersted in, I might 'now 'bout somethin' that could interest ya."

He waves at the bartender to order another whisky.

"And what were ya sain' bout the lab? I though yer types always has some labs, no? Where else would ya work?"

RE: Meetup at Barrier Gate - fabreth - 10-08-2016

Ageira, Nick of course knows about it... while Jimmy was playing with the glass, he was about to interrupt him... then the man resumes talking, and basically tells him what he wanted to say, about the monopoly, and about the staticity of the gates. In the next brief pause he says

"I agree with you about Ageira and the gates, that's why I'm searching for alternative ways. If you ask me..."

he soften his voice and approaches Jimmy

"..they may as well find the solution, but they wouldn't share it. Not so soon anyway, because the gates would become obsolete.."

He leans back to the seatback of the chair, and listens to what the man has to say. After the information about Nebula, he didn't think anything useful would come out from this encounter, and he start thinking about searching informations about IRG. But Jimmy caught his attention.

"Indeed working in that ship of mine is a little.. impractical. So.. what could interest me?" he asks, a little impatiently

Jimmy grins.

"Well, fer start, I know 'bout a system with several rather unique Jump Holes. I think that's somethin' you might be interested in. And regardin' the lab... I have a certain idea.Ya see, I'm actually lookin' fer a way to invest some of me money, and I'm toin' with an idea of a factory base 'ere in Coronado. If ye dinnae insist on givin' yer eventual results away fer free... I might build ye a lab while I'm at it. Though... such lab, or it's activity at least, should remain secret. We dinnae want Ageira to come with a warrant to seize yer research, eh? Or anyone else, really."

He laughs. It is actually a little wierd. He looks like ordinary transport pilot, yet he speaks about building a base like it was nothing harder than swatting a fly.

Nick at first is astonished, then he bursts in laugh, following Jimmy's

"All right, is that a joke? I mean.. a base.. well if it's true, maybe I found someone crazier than me!"

He grins.. he still thinks that was a joke, but he plays along. After all, his hyperspace nonsense may seem an elaborate joke as well.

"So your trips really are worthwile! Anyway, the construction of a base needs time, manpower, resources... and in all that you'll give me access and a lab all mine? Well, what do they say? Crazy people get along well!"

He was still on the "joke side" of things, but from the expressions on Jimmy's face he starts to believe that he really was serious about that.

"Joke? Why would that be joke? Sure, the base ain't goin' to be ready in a day, and I do plan to get a profit from it. Crayterians dinnae have any direct acces to Cloaks or Cloak disruptors, which should earn me some money if I play it right. And gettin' ye a lab shouldn't be harder than building factories fer those, no? Though... it ain't goin' to be fer free. I'm willin to invest in yer research, cause I am interested in the results. And I expect ya to share any profits shuld there be any. I ain't interested in claimin' yer research, but I do expect to get something back. If that's not what ye like, I'll understand that."

Jimmy shrugged.

"And what about the Jump Holes I mentioned. Ya interested in seein' 'em?

"I'm sorry, I didn't.. well, now it all makes sense. "

He pauses a little..

"Look, let me think about it. Of course you'll want to have a gain from your investment.. and I don't have problems with sharing profits.. in fact, a good chunk of it should go to you.."

Another pause

"Anyway, we'll talk more about it while you bring me to that particular system, allright? Tell me just one thing, why are you interested in my research? I don't think it's only for the possible money.."

"Sure, think 'bout it. In fact, I'd be worried if ya accepted it on the fly. We can talk details later, if ya decide to accept the offer. Now, the system I mentioned. Tell me, can ya freighter use dockin' rings? 'cause if not, you probably need somethin' smaller. I can borrow ye something if ya had a problem with that. However, whatever ya'll fly there, make sure it's a armoured, and load up some extra fuel and rations and dinnae forget some pharmaceutics. We probably ain't gonna need any of it, but batter safe than sorry."

Jimmy drinks half of his whisky and continues talking.

"Now, I take ya there under two conditions. When we're there, ya'll stick to me. And ya'll obey every order I give ye. I'll explain why on the way there. If ya disagree, that's fine, but I ain't goin' to risk the trip then."

He finishes the rest of his glass, then he moves closer to Rush and lowers his voice.

"And if ya really want to 'now why I'm interested... well, I have a reasons to believe certain... entities are able to create Jump Holes as they wish. I want to 'now if it's possible and how."

He leans back, orders another whisky and waits for the scientist response.

RE: Meetup at Barrier Gate - fabreth - 10-09-2016

"Um.. I must follow you blindly to somewhere and bring supplies because of the dangers we could face" he sighs

"..but if you trust me and my crazy theory, I may as well trust you.. besides... we'll have a chance to talk more.. privately"

In fact, the 20 people that were in the bar now are almost doubled...

"but one thing... you wouldn't bring all that whisky, do you?" he smirks

Nick isn't really sure about it, but decides to take the risk.. it was because Jimmy seems to have money and useful informations? Or because he was beginning to get tired of chasing ghosts alone? More simply, the words "rather unique jump holes" continues to ring a bell in his head.

"Alright, I'm in!"

RE: Meetup at Barrier Gate - Demonic - 10-09-2016

Jimmy lookes at the glass of whisky. 'Huh... did I really drink that much of it?' he thoughts. He shakes his head and sighs.

"No, ya dinnae have to follow me blindly. I'll explain more on the way there. But the conditions are there fer yer own safety. I was in the system several times, poked me nose around there fer quite long the first time I visited it, and never run in any trouble, save fer the ever present radiation there, but I ain't taking any chances. And remember, ya need somethin' that can use dockin' rings, else there's high chance ya won't be able to get there."

RE: Meetup at Barrier Gate - fabreth - 10-09-2016

"Yes yes, of course. And..yes, I've already used docking rings with this ship."

Remembering that while he was resting, Jimmy was doin' his travellin'..

"So, we have a deal.. contact me when you're ready to go. I'll be here for a while anyway.."