Discovery Gaming Community
To hell with Armor Upgrades! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: To hell with Armor Upgrades! (/showthread.php?tid=14428)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

To hell with Armor Upgrades! - Jonathan_Archer_nx01 - 12-12-2008

I haven't been able to play for a while, yet now I'm coming back.

I've just remembered I wanted to write an essay about this issue but that was more than 4 months ago. Then I had to quit playing and forgot about it.

Now tho, I don't exactly know what's what, but I do remember the point I wanted to make by then. So shortly:

I adore original vanilla Freelancer fighter vs. fighter combat. It's way faster, way more swift, more explosive and more fun.

On the other hand Disco fighter vs. fighter combat is....I'd say 2.5 times(go guess) duller, slower. It's endless.

Now at this point, I would have been going to tell you about all the stories and battles I had been through in order to prove my point, but since it actually has been some time, I do not remember them much.

I do however remember that one evening, I was roleplaying LPI in New York system and it was quite busy there, big party - LN, LSF.
And then came 2 Xenos...........in some civilian...eagles!? or whatever that thing is called. So I fought them and chased them and shot them and so did LN, and so did LSF. But, after doing so for several minutes I realised I was failing to inflict any damage and so did the others.

So I went off. Had dinner, had a ehm.

And when I came back, both of them were still there making the numerous Navy look ridiculous. Now how uncool is that?

Of course, I'm not suggesting removing armor upgrades completely but the way they affect gameplay is just.......devastatingly awful.

Considering the fact that everybody automatically gets 2.5 times more of armor, I'm suggesting to decrease number of hitpoints of all light/medium/heavy fighter and bombers, especially bombers, because they benefit from this the most, by 60%

I haven't forgotten of capital ships either. Since the 3.0 armor upgrade is very common, it'd be nice to decrease their hitpoints by 67%.

And nerf NPCs' too. Simple, well and thought-out, isn't it?

In fact, I'd like to see ships even more fragile than they were in vFreelancer, so that combat is even more intense.

To hell with Armor Upgrades! - Unseelie - 12-12-2008

Considering PVP isn't quite my bag, and if I lose a PVP I'm off that ship for 4 hours, no, I do not think I should be easier to kill.

I'd rather like the chance to escape.

To hell with Armor Upgrades! - AdamantineFist - 12-12-2008

This has been discussed before. The general community consensus seems to be no, although I do understand where you're coming from. Fighter combat CAN be explosive and fast... with the introduction of explosives. Those piss a lot of people off and are going to be less effective in 4.85 due to the de-Vanilla-ization of Vanilla ships. As to combat with guns, well, people have grown attached to the ability to survive a few shots. It gives you a second chance if you make a mistake. That and the fact that you'd have to spend a whole four hours off the char after a 10 minute PvP fight means that a lot of people would rather keep them.

To hell with Armor Upgrades! - Grumblesaur - 12-12-2008

I prefer it as it is. It doesn't seem boring, to fight for twenty minutes bomber v. bomber. My arms hurt like hell, but it's worth it when you WTFpwn them with your SN in Connecticut.

Leave the armor as it is.

' Wrote:I prefer it as it is. It doesn't seem boring, to fight for twenty minutes bomber v. bomber. My arms hurt like hell, but it's worth it when you WTFpwn them with your SN in Connecticut.

Leave the armor as it is.
Oh, if you learn to use torp slot weapons well, you'll notice a sharp decline in fight length. I mean SHARP. Big difference if you're good with 'em.

To hell with Armor Upgrades! - GhostFace - 12-12-2008

Adamantine Fist just said everything I had in mind. I rather keep it the way it is, makes battles more interesting otherwise you'll just have caps blowing a small ship up in a matter of seconds and if I had to wait 4 hours, I better had have a fun medium sized battle instead of engage, he hits me 5 times, im dead.

' Wrote:Oh, if you learn to use torp slot weapons well, you'll notice a sharp decline in fight length. I mean SHARP. Big difference if you're good with 'em.

I am decent with a Mini Razor. SN is harder to aim for some reason.

' Wrote:I am decent with a Mini Razor. SN is harder to aim for some reason.
It's because of a slower projectile speed. That is all-important for aiming, really. Slower projectile = harder to aim. Faster projectile = easier to aim. I've gotten pretty good at using the Razor and jousting recently. Much better than I used to be. It's a really useful skill. Trust me on that. ;)

To hell with Armor Upgrades! - Drake - 12-12-2008

I would personally prefer if armor upgrades were all removed, and all the ships were just rebalanced to include the 2.0 or 2.5 armor that most upgrades would give. Maybe a 3.0 for caps. High-level upgrades are almost a requirement for competitive fighting vs. players and high-end NPCs, so I really don't see any reason to make people pay for them.

' Wrote:It's because of a slower projectile speed. That is all-important for aiming, really. Slower projectile = harder to aim. Faster projectile = easier to aim. I've gotten pretty good at using the Razor and jousting recently. Much better than I used to be. It's a really useful skill. Trust me on that. ;)

If you can, here's how to kill a bomber/fighter in less than three seconds.

Kill the shield with a mini razor.
Fire SN.

Takes skill. A LOT OF IT.