Discovery Gaming Community
Skets - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Skets (/showthread.php?tid=14541)

Skets - Ash - 12-17-2008

Tom left London that day with no regrets. His credit account would surely buy him a new ship once he found one, and he had plenty to blow on what he wanted until he found it. Tom was obsessed, not any ship was good enough for him, he knew out there somwhere there was one that would suit him perfectly, all that remained was to find it.

As the transport speeded him away from his home he spent little time pondering and sleeping like an average passenger, but spending countless hours on the obsevation decks, somtimes not moving from one spot for hours on end. Fellow passengers would somtimes return to the observation decks twice in one day to find him standing where he was several hours ago. They were anxious of him, but they did not have reason.

So it was a lonely journey for Tom. The transports took him from corner to croner of the Sirius sector. And yet he watched and waited from Hamburg to Kyushu to Canaria to Los Angeles. The first place he would go is the ship dealer on each to discover new models and put them to his test.

He was on a junker base in Omega 15 when he found himself out of cash and out of luck. His budget would only stretch so far and he could'nt contemplate affording his ideal ship never mind finding it. So he approached the ship dealer and bought a ship. It wasn't what he had in mind, he just needed somthing that could get him from A to B and put up a fight when the pirates felt lucky. Which in this case was a prototype junker ship. At first it was obviousley junker made, the paint job was so shabby it might as well have been dragged from the debris field anyway. Tom hated it, but in the end it was apparent that he needed it nonetheless.

Skets - Ash - 12-17-2008

He spent the upcoming weeks withering away what he had left of his back account on fuel, food and information. He didn't realize he was on his last hundred credits until he was wasting away in a Denver bar in the back alley of some run down terraforming settlement. He didn't care much for his ship now but more so for his career. It hadn't even taken off because of the ship that he possessed he despised.

That night in the bar a strange man sat next to him. Overall he seemed quite shabby. His shoes were weathered and he wore a grubby torn blanket with a hole cut in the middle over his shirt. His dirty knees could be seen through the torn holes in his trousers.

"You're not from around here are you?" Said the man

"I haven't got time for bums, get outta here" Replied Tom

The man ignored him

"I've seen you come in here wasted every day this week, now what's your problem?"

Tom looked at him sarcastically

"Well. You don't have to tell me but I'm just gonna go ahed and say somthin here."

Tom returned his attention to his drink. His forehead barely touching the rim of his beer mug.

"I've seen people from all over sirius come through here; hell! I got all the time in the world to spend in here. But I don't, even though I could be like you are right now; completely Skets; for the rest of my life. I got the money to do so why the hell not! Well i'l tell you.."

Tom Interrupted

"Skets?....What?"

"Yano. Sketters, Skets, Sket. Means.....well, nobody knows what it means it's just a thing people sa.......well that's beside the point..."

"Well you don't look like a richer to me"

The man ignored Tom's sidetracking and pressed on with his lecture.

"I love space, simple, i can't get enough of it. I'd trade a dump like this for the stars up there any day of the week sonny. And it doesn't matter what damn ship you fly; yeah i saw that piece of scrap touch down when you got here. It's not about that, it's about the freedom out there, the space, the ability to do what the hell you want!"

"Tou che!....my friend!"

Tom cut in

"Your'e obviousley forgettin the rozzers"

"The what?"

"The rozzers, yano, the cops"

"Well yeah heh, heh, heh, of course you got them. But there's still so much you can do! Take me for example, i'm a free man! Don't work for nobody, that's right, i'm my own man. My rules, My ship, My job, My name, My space heh, heh, heh!

It didn't take long for Tom to realise this guy was completley off his rocker, but couldn't help but see sense in the noises he was hearing that somehow resembled words.

The man suddenly controlled his hysterics.

"Ahh well sonny, i guess it's up to you if you wanna waste away here, we is all wastin away. It's your choice and i guess i'l see you in space if you make the right one"

The man patted Tom on the back and shuffled out of the bar still giggling at his own joke that nobody seemed to understand or get.

"See you round sonny boy!!"

The man shouted back as he left.

Tom sat watching his mug get ever closer to his face as he tried to think about what the man had even been talking about. All the sounds of the bar began to fade into one noise and the bubbles in his beer gradually swirled into a vortex of black, and he slipped off his barstool onto the floor unconcious.