Discovery Gaming Community
Can't run - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Can't run (/showthread.php?tid=146109)

Pages: 1 2

Can't run - Cybertron - 12-08-2016

So guys I'm back from my two years break, and I have a huge desire to play Freelancer! But due to some unknown problems I cannot do such thing. So let me break it down to you: Please help me, for the love of the tea!

So I downloaded FL, and yes, from this forum, and I installed it. Downloaded Launchpad too, installed it. Everything ran smoothly. The problem started when I wanted to run vanilla. I am not sure why but when I double click on FL it shows me only the loading circle, nothing else. Then I said to my self: This is the ultimate challenge! You have to use THE thing!
Then I used the administrator setting and guess what? Nothing happened, all the same remained. Then I tried to run it trough the Launchpad. Since I burnt down the hole PC case couple years back I couldn't get my old acc's back, so I needed to make a new one, and so I did. Then I tried to start the game trough the LP but again nothing happened, just that same old circle.
Now: Laptop DELL, 4 GB's of RAM, 2 GB's of graphic card, Intel i5 processor and the other stuff I would say are irrelevant.
AV is also taken care of just in case it gets in the way, but other than that I cannot see where the problem occurs.
Thank you for your time guys, and I would really be grateful for your assistance. Kind regards. Cyber out.

RE: Can't run - Sombs - 12-08-2016

Your vanilla data and your Discovery data are in separate folders, right? Those have to be separated installations. You can't play vanilla through the Launcher. That thing is for the mod only.

RE: Can't run - Cybertron - 12-08-2016

Bump it.

RE: Can't run - evanz - 12-08-2016

launchpad?? thats to old

now we use the disco launcher

RE: Can't run - diamond1 - 12-08-2016

Discovery uses a launcher now, try installing that and see if it helps.

RE: Can't run - Goldberg - 12-09-2016

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=126999&pid=1644798#pid1644798

- here is a guide, or a small checklist how to install discovery.

RE: Can't run - Cybertron - 12-09-2016

Its not up to the Discovery FL, its more that I want to play Vanilla first, since I haven't played it in a long time, and I cannot run it. Double-click, flash of screen and puff, loading circle. Is there any end to this, I have tried everything.. Either I am an idiot *which I find probable* or there is some kind of conspiracy theory to keep me out of FL, because I am too good, too good..

RE: Can't run - Alley - 12-09-2016

(12-09-2016, 07:18 AM)Cybertron Wrote: Its not up to the Discovery FL, its more that I want to play Vanilla first, since I haven't played it in a long time, and I cannot run it. Double-click, flash of screen and puff, loading circle. Is there any end to this, I have tried everything.. Either I am an idiot *which I find probable* or there is some kind of conspiracy theory to keep me out of FL, because I am too good, too good..

delete everything in My Document/My Games/Freelancer
You're crashing because of the autogenerated save files, which is why the discovery launcher deletes saves on startup.

RE: Can't run - Cybertron - 12-09-2016

(12-09-2016, 07:31 AM)Alley Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 07:18 AM)Cybertron Wrote: Its not up to the Discovery FL, its more that I want to play Vanilla first, since I haven't played it in a long time, and I cannot run it. Double-click, flash of screen and puff, loading circle. Is there any end to this, I have tried everything.. Either I am an idiot *which I find probable* or there is some kind of conspiracy theory to keep me out of FL, because I am too good, too good..

delete everything in My Document/My Games/Freelancer
You're crashing because of the autogenerated save files, which is why the discovery launcher deletes saves on startup.
Yeah I would love that to work but there is nothing in that folder. Again this is a clean new installation of Freelancer, with no patches or anything else whatsoever, yet it wont start. Why would that happen?

RE: Can't run - JohnyWalker - 12-09-2016

I never has problems, but i have an idea maybe can help you.
1. Install Vanilla Freelancer (example ...\Games\Freelancer"
2. COPY and PASTE all that Freelancer folder into a new one, for example "...\Games\Vanilla Freelancer"
3. Install the Dicovery Mod in the first folder of installation the "...\Games\Freelancer" folder (with the DSLauncher and everything for multiplayer)

This way, you will have 2 Freelancer games, 1 pure Vanilla (your copy "Vanilla Freelancer" folder) and the other one fresh install with Freelancer/Discovery mod. For playing single player as pure Vanilla, just use your PASTED copy "...\Games\Vanilla Freelancer", for multiplayer the other one "...\Games\Freelancer"

I hope this help