Discovery Gaming Community
An extreme decision - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: An extreme decision (/showthread.php?tid=146480)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

An extreme decision - Alley - 12-23-2016

Boys and Gals,

Needless to say, you have certainly noticed @Duvelske and @GamerGirl have been hard at work trying to ruin this community.
I personally have no doubts on the resiliency of the community, they are not the first and certainly won't be the last troublemakers we have around, but cheating is about as annoying as it can get and it doesn't help it's a very easy thing to do on Freelancer.

The staff, as it stands, is unable to guarantee you the ability to play with absolute peace of mind. There's the possibility that hours of your efforts get ruined by these two people and it's not something that we can allow. It's something that I personally cannot allow.

A few months ago, the administration discussed a possible "extreme" contingency plan in the event cheating spiraled out of control like it currently does. Today we are there with Duvelske and GamerGirl literally wasting their days cheating on the server. Therefore, I've began steps to implement this extreme measure. (it will however take some time, but I will try to have it all done this weekend so you can find an enjoyable server as a christmas gift)

Very soon, authentication levels will be implemented on the server. TRIAL and MEMBER.
The specifications are as follow:

- Can do anything currently possible

- TRIAL
- Cannot inflict damage to other players or bases
- Cannot leave Pennsylvania (or log a ship outside of Penny/ go to conn)
- Cannot receive or give cash
- Cannot transfer
- Cannot jettison objects (nothing will be in space after death as well)
- More to come if we see fit

The idea of still allowing people to log into the game is due to the prospect of newbies potentially not understanding why they would be otherwise instantly kicked off the server and shrugging it off.

The system will work by adding an authentication token you will be provided with by an administrator to your launcher parameters. If no such token is provided, you will be authenticated as a TRIAL player and the restrictions will apply to you.

A thread will be created where you will have to post with some details about you and your authentication token will be sent to you by an admin via PM. Sharing your authentication token is absolutely forbidden, if it is revoked for cheating because you shared it with a cheater, you will not be allowed back into the game.

RE: An extreme decision - Corile - 12-23-2016

To be honest that doesn't sound like that bad of a decision, but I fear that method of authentication will put even more strain on the admin team.

RE: An extreme decision - Alley - 12-23-2016

(12-23-2016, 01:25 PM)Corile Wrote: To be honest that doesn't sound like that bad of a decision, but I fear that method of authentication will put even more strain on the admin team.

possibly, but I rather see an admin spend 5 minutes sorting a token request than spend hours staring at the server to play "spot the duvelske".

RE: An extreme decision - Eurobeat - 12-23-2016

Question, are these tokens unique?

Assuming they aren't unique, what would happen if one day two people end up with the same token - unlikely, not impossible in this case, and one of those players cheats/gets banned somehow?

RE: An extreme decision - -Rax- - 12-23-2016

What about the newcomers? I've personally spent 3 or 4 months on the server till I discovered the forums site

(12-23-2016, 01:29 PM)Eurobeat Wrote: Question, are these tokens unique?

Assuming they aren't unique, what would happen if one day two people end up with the same token - unlikely, not impossible in this case, and one of those players cheats/gets banned somehow?

Tokens will be unique, it's the point of a token. It's also why they're provided by the admins and not by the player himself.

RE: An extreme decision - Eurobeat - 12-23-2016

(12-23-2016, 01:30 PM)Alley Wrote:
(12-23-2016, 01:29 PM)Eurobeat Wrote: Question, are these tokens unique?

Tokens will be unique, it's the point of a token. It's also why they're provided by the admins and not by the player himself.

That's comforting to say the least.

I'm sure this will have positive effects

(12-23-2016, 01:30 PM)-Rax- Wrote: What about the newcomers? I've personally spent 3 or 4 months on the server till I discovered the forums site

It's exactly why we're letting newbies play with TRIAL permissions, it was thought through. We'll provide more than enough messages to point them to gaining MEMBER permissions. It's also going to require the community to be a bit more careful about our newbs considering the angels are pretty much dead.

RE: An extreme decision - pulha - 12-23-2016

Amazing idea.

As for newbies. well time to ressurect the Angels

RE: An extreme decision - jim-drover - 12-23-2016

Alright, i uderstabd the reasons behind this decision. Totaly aproving it, as it has shown to be needed.

What about the existing players, are they automaticly still member or do we all have to ask for that token?

1 thing worry,s me, since the token gets revoked at any sign of cheating . How are things gonna go with the accidental cheat mesages ? *example* you are miner do f1 to switch to an other acount but get that multiboxing one?

Anyhow thanks for all this effort Smile Friendly regards, Jim