Discovery Gaming Community
An extreme decision - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: An extreme decision (/showthread.php?tid=146480)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: An extreme decision - Emperor Tekagi - 12-23-2016

(12-23-2016, 05:29 PM)Thunderer Wrote: What will happen to shared ships?

A very good question. They would actually require having no restrictions on multiple tokens. Would mean a hell lot of work for Admins to put every single shared acc into a list.

Or it is just the token being checked before, no matter which one as long as its valid as member?

RE: An extreme decision - Jack_Henderson - 12-23-2016

It's sad that this has become a necessity.
But: At least afterwards the server can't be held "hostage" any longer by anybody whose attitude made him get the boot and who cries for revenge.

RE: An extreme decision - Backo - 12-23-2016

(12-23-2016, 05:31 PM)Werdackel| Wrote:
(12-23-2016, 05:29 PM)Thunderer Wrote: What will happen to shared ships?

A very good question. They would actually require having no restrictions on multiple tokens. Would mean a hell lot of work for Admins to put every single shared acc into a list.

Or it is just the token being checked before, no matter which one as long as its valid as member?

As already stated and confirmed by Alley - the token is not bound to an account or ship or anything like that. A token is used to identify the connection to the server (as in to identify the client that joins the server) and that is all. Regardless of what ship you log on whichever account. So everyone can log a shared ship if they have access to it by having the account.

RE: An extreme decision - Zigeris - 12-23-2016

Oh I read the entire thing; well kind of good. I mean... it's the closet thing to passworded server, without a password.

RE: An extreme decision - Thunderer - 12-23-2016

What if one simply re-installs the game and the launcher, and changes their IP?

(12-23-2016, 05:38 PM)Thunderer Wrote: What if one simply re-installs the game and the launcher, and changes their IP?

Same as if you get permabanned on the forums and do a reinstall of Windows and change IP but still try to log with your old Thunderer credentials.

They give you a token which is something like a username + password that you apply and log in with that. If they ban that you won't be able to log in with it no matter from where you try to do so.

RE: An extreme decision - Thunderer - 12-23-2016

But, can't you easily get a new token if you change your IP, and pretend to be someone else?

(12-23-2016, 05:42 PM)Thunderer Wrote: But, can't you easily get a new token if you change your IP, and pretend to be someone else?

Technically yes, but then you're limited by admin team review of your application to actually be a member. Way better than getting banned and changing your IP via VPN and getting right back into cheating.

I mean even people in CS:GO cheat, get banned, purchase the game again on a new steam account and cheat again. It's not going to be a perfect system, it'll just require a lot more effort and time to actually cheat than it is now.

RE: An extreme decision - Binski - 12-23-2016

Well its unfortunate when this happens as always, but many of us here have come and gone and seen these things happen. We'll weather it! Solidarity to the admin team and everyone else involved in keeping the wheels rolling. *fist pump*

Also as some seem concerned such changes will hinder new members, seems like when things come back it might be good to juice up help to the [Angels], I think I might apply myself. Might just be a matter of having a few experienced players put more time into hanging around and being available to help out new players as they pop out of Pennsylvania. Maybe throw out some incentives!

On that note, perhaps these new players could have something added to their names by default, like a [R] in front, used my many factions to indicate a new recruit, just until they get a key. That way even if helper players aren't flying their [Angel] ships, anyone could notice a new player and offer assistance in sorting them out, and explain the new process.

RE: An extreme decision - Petitioner - 12-23-2016

(12-23-2016, 05:47 PM)TheUnforgiven Wrote: On that note, perhaps these new players could have something added to their names by default, like a [R] in front, used my many factions to indicate a new recruit, just until they get a key. That way even if helper players aren't flying their [Angel] ships, anyone could notice a new player and offer assistance in sorting them out, and explain the new process.

This is probably the most constructive suggestion I've seen so far, aside from allowing trial players to go out and explore the universe without being able to actually interact with it. There might, however, be some sort of downside to this that the team has thought of which we in this thread have not; I hope not, though. Thanks, everyone, for all your hard work and dedication to making Discovery awesome.