Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+----- Forum: Faction Review and Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=135)
+------ Forum: Archived Feedback Threads (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=484)
+------ Thread: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 (/showthread.php?tid=147306)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - Divine - 01-28-2017

(01-28-2017, 12:10 AM)Divine Wrote: ...
//Edit: Oh yes, the forum transitions wiped that for you, what a nice coincidence to pretend it didn't happen.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - sindroms - 01-28-2017

Then tell it yourself.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - Vendetta - 01-28-2017

(01-28-2017, 12:12 AM)Divine Wrote:
(01-28-2017, 12:10 AM)Divine Wrote: ...
//Edit: Oh yes, the forum transitions wiped that for you, what a nice coincidence to pretend it didn't happen.

You really need to learn to let go of the past and realize that this isn't 2012. Get with the times and get over history, learn to accept that Spazzy is an admin and is doing a very impressive job at keeping this slowly shrinking community alive, while not violating any of the conduct expected of an administrator. Stop trying to crucify people over half-a-decade old incidents, as you're just making this community suffer more and more by desperately grasping at history.

Get over it.

(01-28-2017, 12:13 AM)sindroms Wrote: Then tell it yourself.
Nice to see how you stand towards your past deeds. Nobody so far answered what were the pros that outweighted the cons for especially you becoming an Admin without even going through the Moderator time.
And, again, I ask if this is the new method now for staff-recruitments.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - Sombs - 01-28-2017

I think both of you could stop with this bullshiet. Spazzy is doing a good job, and while it is maybe not perfect, it still causes lots of people to come around for events. Who cares who was not quite the idol years ago? What is important is what is now. That is Spazzy keeping the server alive and trying to make some cool things happen, which we had rarely before his admin time.

If you are so much better at everything, Divine, write a concept instead of trying to formulate your punchlines as nice as possible so Alley doesn't do what she implied to do. Your constant negativity sucks ass, and profiling with "Haters gonna hate" isn't the way to go either. If you want people to do what you want, try it with reason, commonsense and diplomacy instead of nope all over the place with every little piece of attack surface. It should be obvious that people are more likely to listen to someone when he'sn't behaving like an olm.

Maybe it's a good time to make a cut here, temporary locking up the thread before the nope continues.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - sindroms - 01-28-2017

Dunno, if I was a US player, I would be thrilled to come back home from work, get a coffee and open the forums to enjoy a front seat experience of a vet in full brick-in-a-washing-machine-mode.

EDIT: I am still not completely certain that Divine is not on some sort of alcohol at this point, because seriously.

Obviously Sindroms states he was Moderator for about a month. I'll retract my statement about him getting the spot right away when there can Mod-posts of him be shown.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - Corile - 01-28-2017

(01-28-2017, 12:28 AM)Divine Wrote: Obviously Sindroms states he was Moderator for about a month. I'll retract my statement about him getting the spot right away when there can Mod-posts of him be shown.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=143067&pid=1818814#pid1818814

Now shut up.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - Alley - 01-28-2017

(01-27-2017, 11:56 PM)Divine Wrote: What for? Because otherwise you'll have me banned again because I asked you a legit question?
For a person that now for the third time posted to step out of the mods business, just to return the very next day or within a few days to take command again, as you were so nice to point out yourself, you still are quite involved and still hold all the keys to yourself. Which is interesting when we look at the fact that you actually posted multiple times yourself that you don't want to be involved into Disco anymore.
Nothing against all your hard work and contributions, it's much appreciated. But your own attitude is quite contradicting itself. I've no problem whatsoever with you stating how things are, really. I'm all for it. Have us known bluntly what we're up to and dealing with, for all that matters. I'm not here to cruxify you, I just want honest answers for once instead of the phrases the Admin-team throws at people for the last years.

Legit questions are welcome, your attitude, is not.

You don't get to dictate people what they are to do, what they are to think. Not to members, not to mods, not to devs, certainly not to admins. As it currently stands, you are nothing in this community due to this very attitude.

You were given a chance after your permaban appeal to prove you have changed and contribute to this community. What did you do? Nothing except what you did before. You're still here pushing people around because you believe you have a magical right to do so, even all the way up to almost bullying the members of the outcast official faction then crying a river when it backfires. This has been going on for months, what conclusion could I ever possibly draw out of this?

As for me? Well, I'll tell you all about it since you want to know.
I have a very busy life now, people waiting for me in the evening. I should be with them.

What do I do instead? I'm here looking at complaints and requests on the forums or skype. I'm here keeping this place running, or keeping it afloat as best as possible when an angry kiddo decides it's fun to cheat on a dying game/ddos the place just to be sure it dies a little bit faster. But it certainly did not cross your mind there is someone spending close to every single weekend and weekday evening working behind the scenes without ever asking for anything substancial in return just so /you/ can play and enjoy new features on the server.

But this doesn't cross your mind one bit, like many other. You just think you're entitled to have things happen on the server and that it seems obvious something "will work" but fail to realize that I am the one that has to spend hours programming your "concept" with all the hazards that contains FLHook, which sometimes makes simple concepts impossible to add because the reverse engineering that needs to be done to achieve it will require hours all by itself or simply impossible, but you just fail to listen and keep on ranting.

It's people like you that led to Cannon leaving the place when this community managed to screw his life over more than good enough, it's people like you that regularly put me on the edge of just saying fuck it, pack my bags and leave this community to its own fate for as long as the physical machine holds without dying. I end up returning because I'm decent enough not to leave this community to rot.

RE: Admin Feedback Thread 2.0 - Zelot - 01-28-2017

I think the value of debating Spazzy as an admin at this point is minimal, if there is any. He is an admin, and people can judge him on the work he is doing. I made a long post when he was made admin about how I felt about it, and what my concerns were. I said my piece as a member of the community and then I accepted the decision of the admin team and moved on. Right or wrong, and I think it's right, the admin team chooses their own membership. They are the ones who have to work with whoever the admin is. They vote and their decision is what goes on things like this.

That said, clearly there are problems between the admin staff and the dev staff, and that's a big problem. As someone who worked on both the admin team and the Dev team, I think I can say that the relationship between the two is among the most important to work in the community. The Dev staff needs to be responsive to admin needs in terms of the technical side of creating in game mechanics to make the need for rules minimal. That should always be among the highest priorities for the dev staff. If the admins and the devs can't get together for the good of the community, that's a problem. If the admins and devs feel like they can't get together themselves, I am happy to volunteer to help out as someone who has done both and isn't involved in either at the moment, and has a fair bit of meditation experience. But that shouldn't be necessary and the Admins and Devs should be able to get together like adults and deal with the problems.

As to some of the other points. Admins, you should keep in mind that the more you explain to people they more comfortable they will be with what is happening. Take the time to explain things, why you think they are important and some of the things that were brought up on both sides of the admin discussion on the matter. Don't get into what admin said what, no matter what the community wants you to do. The admin team needs to act with one voice to the community. It doesn't matter what the disagreements are within the team. Explain things but don't drag them out. Explanations are good, information is good, but too much time to discuss things isn't going to get closer to making those people who disagree like the idea. It's a delicate balance in managing a community. Not enough explanation and information is bad but so is too much. Self reflection is good, but too much self reflection is not good. It's all about getting the balance right, and that is hard. Try to remember what you wanted the admin to do when you were a player. It's easy to forget when you get the green.

Oh, and my own feedback. Go and get some mods who are interested in being mods and not in being admins. It takes a while to get good at being a mod and as long as the position is just seen as a step to adminship, the people doing it will only work as long as they are waiting to be an admin, if they see they won't they will stop and while they are waiting they will be more interested in learning admin stuff and worried about the admin stuff than in doing the job of a mod. Mod and admin are different jobs and have different needed skills and qualities. I think the state of discourse on the forums is a direct result of not having mods being focused on being mods.

Edit: I don't see Divine having done anything ban worthy in this thread. The arbitrary exercise of power to silence people who speak out isn't the way to handle it. There are much better ways to handle it. The trigger finger with which bans are used is a troubling sign.