Discovery Gaming Community
Racing ships! Revisited! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Racing ships! Revisited! (/showthread.php?tid=14745)

Pages: 1 2 3

Racing ships! Revisited! - Dusty Lens - 12-27-2008

So, everyone likes the idea of a nice race, but to do that proper you need a good fast ship.

Sadly, good fast ships are prone to abuse, which makes a fellow sad.

So I was hemming and hawwing on what a body could do to prevent such things from taking place and reckoned on the following:

1) Cargo space of 1.
2) No thruster.
3) No mine
4) No guns
5) No CD
6) CM
7) Cruise chargup time double that of a standard LF
8) 420 cruise speed (the theoretical max under FLhook)
9) Bots debatable.

You shan't have any armor upgrades, you shall be going rather quick.

So, you're fragile and fast and can't drop out of cruise without reaping the devil in lost time. Furthermore collision damage is going to be a substantial worry without being able to strap any additional armor on, hitting a few asteroids/02 pockets could end your race pre-maturely.

I think it's a good mix of 'whoosh' with a bare minimum of 'lol I'm thrusting at 300mps around manhattan with a cargoload of cadi'.

Besides, it's been a few weeks since anyone has posted one of these.

Racing ships! Revisited! - Carlos_Benitez - 12-27-2008

I like it. Could also make a good news-reporter's ship. (the beloved camera vessel is, sadly, not fast).

Racing ships! Revisited! - Nightwind - 12-27-2008

Why no thruster? I'd like to see racing ships with your stats but with... 2 thrusters.

Racing ships! Revisited! - Cyro - 12-27-2008

' Wrote:Why no thruster? I'd like to see racing ships with your stats but with... 2 thrusters.

Indeed, and a CM would be good too... After that we have a perfect vessel.

EDIT: Well, maybe not 2 thrusters, only one...

Racing ships! Revisited! - AdamantineFist - 12-27-2008

A thruster and a CM launcher would be perfectly fine, methinks. It's not like it can really do anything, anyways, seeing as it can't actually hurt anything or carry anything.

Racing ships! Revisited! - Dusty Lens - 12-28-2008

Well hey! Some voices!

Honestly the two cents behind the lack o' thruster was to avoid any potential abuse by annoying parties.

I'm afraid my memory is still full of folks like Cardamine Carry flying around in a camera ship, lulzing at the hapless local authorities.

I feel that the reliance on cruise engines would add to the dangers associated with various debris fields in addition to nerfing any combat edge, however non existent, associated with a vessel able to fly so very fast.

If you wished to cruise about at such speeds annoying the locals, your vessel taken out of cruise would be swift fodder for the authorities.

Racing ships! Revisited! - Thexare - 12-28-2008

As a compromise, why not let it have a thruster but limit it to 140?

(would that even work? I don't know how it's done for transports/capital ships...)

Racing ships! Revisited! - Blackvertigo1 - 12-28-2008

Well, the cruise speed set at 420 is a constant, so it would effect all ships that were being used, also that there is a tight rule prohibiting the cruise speed from going over 350. I like the idea of having two thrusters... The ship would not be able to cause serious damage to other ships if attempted to participate in an engagement. Though there would be nice RP perks with such ship.

Racing ships! Revisited! - Lt.Cmdr.Olsav - 12-28-2008

Racing ship is an awesome idea, do a sirius sector wide race.

also with such little cargo space and no guns how could it be abused?

Racing ships! Revisited! - Dusty Lens - 12-28-2008

I thought so as well, in regards to cruise speed, until I recently experimented with a ship which had a different speed than others.

As to the 420, that's the max speed FLHook will allow without getting suspicious. You -can- travel at such speeds now by entering formation.