Discovery Gaming Community
the man, the lyth, the legend - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+---- Forum: Leaving Threads (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=350)
+---- Thread: the man, the lyth, the legend (/showthread.php?tid=148870)

Pages: 1 2 3

the man, the lyth, the legend - Zael - 03-20-2017

I didn't actually make this account just for this. It was gonna be a Providence alt but I didn't get activated before I made the posts Ghosts asked me to. It's much easier to make a general notice on the forums than on Skype anyway. To clarify, so that all the cool kids don't jump on this thread to make this point, this is completely unrelated to my lack of being unable to lead. Yes, it's a factor in me not enjoying myself, but I think not having that sense of duty has allowed me to experience the game for myself, rather than trying to do things for others.

Since being back I've rarely had an experience where I've legitimately had fun, or haven't felt like I'm either being min/max trampled on by others (i.e, the fight in NL just now, one of a few experiences I've had) or felt like I'm wasting my own time and could be doing something more enriching. I am grateful for being unbanned, but I must confess it has been hard to find fun. I think the most I actually enjoyed myself was @Xalrok allowing me to work on some Systems for the next update. Otherwise, this place has changed. For the worse. Some of you must've noticed my signature.

I'll refrain from a long text-heavy post outlining what's wrong, or the mistakes have been made. They'll just fall on deaf ears anyway. I'm not talking about "bwaaaa .85 was sooo much better!!!!" (I mean I'm not that old LOL) or any crap like that. Since coming back from my ban I've noticed such a massive shift in atmosphere in Disco. The toxicity and general harmfulness that has accumulated in this community is both massive and ever present. It's so thick in the air you can almost choke on it. And for those of you who lack a sense of metaphorical smell; you can see it in our ever falling Player Count, the weekly leaving threads, the arguments and bickering on Skype, the constant forum drama and fall outs, the lack of respect between members in all corners of this community and so forth. And for those of you who can't even see that then, as harsh as this sounds and I do apologise, your blind ignorance is one of the contributing factors as to why things aren't getting better. It's the same head-in-the-sand mentality people were complaining about it for many years.

For a community, we're not communal at all. I joined another community during my absence and dear god the contrast is overwhelming. The most extreme thing about it is that memes are banned (Q.Q), but the general sense of feeling like you belong, being appreciated and feeling like your contributions actually matter more than makes up for that. The friendly, relaxed atmosphere makes me as a person feel positive, whereas here in Disco it can be really hard to not let yourself become victim to the immense negativity that tries to drag you down into the abyss of cliques, chaos and circlejerks. In the other community, the popular and respected people are people who have EARNED their place there through contributions and good personality. Here, it's the opposite. It's about having the right connections, and then pushing your way to the top of the food chain at the expense of other people around you. I remember that weird post by the Karlotta-But-Not-Karlotta alt who talked about an observation Xoria made; that Disco was a thug-ocracy. I feel that rings true more than ever these days. And knowing the kinds of people we have in this community, I can imagine some of them are rejoicing with my departure. One less piece on the chessboard, they'll be thinking to themselves.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the time I had with people here back in the good ol' days and before the ban. And even upon my return, I was delighted to be welcomed back by so many with open arms. It was heart warming, and reminded me of the gentle nature this community used to have. And even though all of my contributions I made were never really recognised or appreciated at an official level (much like other leaders, who either become demotivated or unfortunately start playing for themselves), I'm happy that for the people who are grateful for my contributions I was able to shine a bit more light into their experience. You will always hold a special place in my heart.

Staff, feel free to pause my Probation until I get back, if ever. And kudos for trying to keep the pieces together. I might be back in a month or something. Dunno. Last time I made a leaving thread I had already stopped playing for a couple months and then after making the thread I was immediately drawn back in. However this time, I'm sceptical if that will happen as the magic that drew me back in last time is now gone.

tl;dr DiscoveryGC isn't fun or enjoyable anymore. Goodbye. -Lythrilux

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Vendetta - 03-20-2017

You're not wrong.

People aren't playing the game for fun anymore and it's demotivating to bother trying to do something new, surprising and exciting since everyone is more inclined to spit on it than take the time to enjoy it.

Enjoy your break.

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Valhalla Sr. - 03-20-2017

[Image: 3IVqBEI.png]

Enjoy your time off mate. Sad to see a familiar face go.

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Sombs - 03-20-2017

I know what you mean. Feels like the time allowed only the most persistend people to stay. Only the extremes are the loud ones. I blame the counterlog-mentality for it. When I joined the community, I logged to have an adventure. The moment I was joining the Skype-based part of the community, I was encountered with the "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG!" part of the community, that gives less and takes much, while being the first ones to cry about people that avoid interactions, without questioning themselves what might be the reason for it.

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Haste - 03-20-2017

Drama that has been around since about as long as I remember definitely has gotten much worse. It's very hard to have fun in-game while the community is this polarized.

Can't blame you, really.

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Emperor Tekagi - 03-20-2017

(03-20-2017, 11:37 PM)Haste Wrote: Drama that has been around since about as long as I remember definitely has gotten much worse. It's very hard to have fun in-game while the community is this polarized.

Can't blame you, really.

Just this. It's sad to see how many people it drove away in the last months and many more are ready to leave if they find a better alternative.... Another one lost, oh well.
Have fun elsewhere and enjoy whatever game you find for yourself next for the time being!!

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Calo - 03-20-2017

You are pretty much... right in here. Since I came back, something has really changed - but it was changing already a long year ago. Pretty much of magic is, just, gone. This isn't old times of 2012-2015 and first months of 2016 - in which we all worked hard to attain our goals. It might sound wrong, but all started with flushing out everything that "goes not by Dev's way". Even I, after all that drama in 2016, am pretty much unable to fit in again. Something is gone, something has changed. Something went way pretty odd, since several things had happened and purges began. It might sound selfish, but this stuff started along with last days of 2015 and first of 2016 - and it was the very first time I could actually feel myself how toxic community can be. The toxicity, because I stepped on some guy's foot, led me to abandon my pretty old characters - one of them dating back to 2010, or even earlier. All that, because I became pretty much target of all frustration which prolonged until my very first forced vacations off Discovery - alongside with ruining what @SMI-Great.Fox worked for years. I dare not say my open opinion on that, but... It's pretty much the process began back in first days of 2016. I no longer enjoy the game since I came back. I try to cling to the nostalgia I have - and the fact I cannot afford better PC to play all these fancy games; Let alone I am doing roleplay on other page - yes, destined for furries - but sometimes I need to wait up to two weeks, or more, to continue the roleplay I have over there. True, I can find here, on Discovery, lots of casual roleplay - but magic is, clearly, gone. Alongside with will to do anything. And... I'm not the only one who feels that. I am not alone in a sour suffering of how cold this place became. But I daresay it all began with so-called Furry Ban. All the purges maintained by staff began right when community had shown they want "changes". These changes are one of the main reasons why people are leaving - because it isn't the fun light-hearted place anymore.

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Enkidu - 03-20-2017

People gotta take people at face value more.

I'm still working at what I think is fun, not just working for objectives or for some kind of InRp 'victory'. I want good, long-running RP magic - and I believe it is still there. It's still doable.

Come back when you feel you want to.

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Apollon - 03-20-2017

I wouldn't disagree with you, Lyth. Everyone here has witnessed and experienced the drama and toxicity you speak of, but if everyone was to pack their stuff and leave the server would be dead by now, but thankfully it's barely hanging there. That said, your spot in Providence is still there for when you come back. Take care and see you in two weeks.

RE: the man, the lyth, the legend - Shelco - 03-20-2017

I hope you find your way back as for me, every member that leaves disco feels like a little stab and I don't want this here to bleed out so I really hope you come back.