Discovery Gaming Community
On Jump Gates and other solars - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+--- Thread: On Jump Gates and other solars (/showthread.php?tid=149387)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: On Jump Gates and other solars - Norael - 04-14-2017

For appearances, they should simply be an updated (and still relatively low-poly) model of the existing one.

However, new textures simply to match the House's ships and style would be neat. It's not like you can't pay a worker to go out into space and paint the Gates after Ageira finished building them.

RE: On Jump Gates and other solars - An'shur - 04-14-2017

(04-14-2017, 10:28 AM)sasapinjic Wrote: In non Galic Trade Lines , you can never be sure are you suppose to dock at top or down trade line

Actually you can. The "right way" is marked by green strobes flashing while the "wrong way" is marked by red ones.

[Image: latest?cb=20100312214429]
Look at the lane segments.

RE: On Jump Gates and other solars - SkyNet - 04-14-2017

(04-13-2017, 10:28 PM)Shelco Wrote: For Rheinland, I would take something in its dark green shade with a bulky heavy and menacing look, a bit like the Gallia gate, it shouldn't have many roundings but more like an ALG mover from the front.

Gate
Trade lane

(04-13-2017, 10:20 PM)Durandal Wrote: Should these solars, manufactured exclusively by Ageira and DSE, have differing appearances? Would Ageira and DSE cater to the various houses they do business in? If so, how different? Would the change in appearance be strictly cosmetic, ie; differing textures, slightly altered details. Or should they be radically different designs, each with their own unique animation?

I would say, Ageira and DSE are manufacturing ONLY parts necessary for the gates/lanes to function, while certain house manufacturers like DHC, build frame and hull of the gates/lanes. This would explain the different designs.

Or you just give each house their own jump technology. It's kinda silly to say that Ageira can keep their secrets for ~800? years. Especially because so many gates and lanes got blown up in past, giving everyone the chance to study the remains and build their own stuff.

RE: On Jump Gates and other solars - An'shur - 04-14-2017

(04-14-2017, 12:06 PM)SkyNet Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 10:28 PM)Shelco Wrote: For Rheinland, I would take something in its dark green shade with a bulky heavy and menacing look, a bit like the Gallia gate, it shouldn't have many roundings but more like an ALG mover from the front.

Gate
Trade lane

Jawdropping

(04-14-2017, 12:06 PM)SkyNet Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 10:20 PM)Durandal Wrote: Should these solars, manufactured exclusively by Ageira and DSE, have differing appearances? Would Ageira and DSE cater to the various houses they do business in? If so, how different? Would the change in appearance be strictly cosmetic, ie; differing textures, slightly altered details. Or should they be radically different designs, each with their own unique animation?

I would say, Ageira and DSE are manufacturing ONLY parts necessary for the gates/lanes to function, while certain house manufacturers like DHC, build frame and hull of the gates/lanes. This would explain the different designs.

Or you just give each house their own jump technology. It's kinda silly to say that Ageira can keep their secrets for ~800? years. Especially because so many gates and lanes got blown up in past, giving everyone the chance to study the remains and build their own stuff.

That is also not a bad point.

RE: On Jump Gates and other solars - sasapinjic - 04-14-2017

(04-14-2017, 11:31 AM)Anshur Wrote:
(04-14-2017, 10:28 AM)sasapinjic Wrote: In non Galic Trade Lines , you can never be sure are you suppose to dock at top or down trade line

Actually you can. The "right way" is marked by green strobes flashing while the "wrong way" is marked by red ones.

[Image: latest?cb=20100312214429]
Look at the lane segments.

Oh , i how i can miss that ?
Thanks for updating my game knowledge .

RE: On Jump Gates and other solars - Petitioner - 04-14-2017

@sasapinjic & @An'shur -- You can also check ahead of time by looking at the map and seeing which way the lane indicator "flows". Whichever direction the lane indicator flows is the way the top ring of the lane goes.

On topic with this thread, I personally think house-specific gates and lanes are a wonderful idea. Ageira doesn't even have to be involved, necessarily; perhaps DSE wants some extra money and offers "renovation services". It wouldn't change the internals of the proprietary hardware in the slightest, except perhaps in the case of some of the motors in jump gates, which isn't even the important part. I'd absolutely love to see an updated, higher-quality version of the current, bland lanes and gates for the Independent Worlds and whatever might eventually be built beyond, too.

Also on a related note, Ageira and DSE have complained for years about the docking rings in the Omicrons. Is there any chance we might get specific docking ring models too, or at least an Edge Worlds docking ring for Malta and Crete?

RE: On Jump Gates and other solars - Dave Synk - 04-19-2017

Remember my Model pack ? Where every spatial entity was custom according to their respective House ? Even the Trade Lanes were custom for each Nation. Well The models exist, I made them. Someone needs to take on the work by implementing them, texturing etc. I am in no time to put textures on models.

PS: Aka this MODEELS