Discovery Gaming Community
Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Tutorials & Tools (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] (/showthread.php?tid=149421)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Goldberg - 04-15-2017

Guide to fix the Windows 10 Freelancer issue - [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start]

- Install Freelancer with admin rights, after that install Discovery with admin rights
- Close any remaining processes related to Freelancer or Discovery Freelancer

- Right Click on your left Windows Symbol
- Go to Settings
- Go to Apps
- Go to (Right side) Programs and Features
- Go to Activate and Deactivate Windows Features
- Activate .NET Framework 3.5 and Legacy Components
- Click on OK and Windows should download and install .NET Framework 3.5 and Directplay which are needed for Freelancer.

- Now use the Discovery launcher to start Freelancer

For more information visit www.discoverygc.com

Here is a Video where a guy explains it again how to activate Directplay on Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - The Langolier - 07-10-2017

Ok, so I have a rather odd problem. Several months ago, I switched to a new laptop which has Windows 10. I installed Freelancer and Discovery and had no issues at all. Recently, I've wanted to go back and play the single player campaign again. After installing a separate instance of Freelancer, I have encountered the above problem, BUT the Disco install still runs fine. I have followed the instructions to no avail, Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated.

Langolier

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Ace Razgriz - 07-10-2017

(07-10-2017, 02:31 AM)Cosmosis(Langolier) Wrote: Ok, so I have a rather odd problem. Several months ago, I switched to a new laptop which has Windows 10. I installed Freelancer and Discovery and had no issues at all. Recently, I've wanted to go back and play the single player campaign again. After installing a separate instance of Freelancer, I have encountered the above problem, BUT the Disco install still runs fine. I have followed the instructions to no avail, Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated.

Langolier

I think the vanilla install does not work at all, I've tried as well but to no avail, many compatibility packs but nothing worked. I'm not an expert on the subject but I'll say I had the same issue and couldn't really find any solution.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Goldberg - 07-10-2017

Trying to play freelancer while disco is installed doesn't work and the game won't start.

You need to install freelancer again, best option is on another drive otherwise it can come to issues with discovery and maybe a total broken Freelancer.

If it still not work, download the community patch and install it.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - The Langolier - 07-11-2017

Well, I've solved my problem at least. It occurred to me that there were folders for Freelancer as well as Disco in the My Games folder in My Documents. I moved those over to the desktop and started up the vanilla install of Freelancer. Started up fine and I'm well on my way in the story. Don't know if this will help anyone or was just a brain-fart on my part for not thinking of it sooner, but, there ya go.

Cheers

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Emet-Selch - 09-11-2017

If, for some reason, you can't enable .NET 3 and DirectPlay as it is explained above, you can do it manually.

Just open Command Prompt as administrator and type the following commands:

Code:
dism /Online /enable-feature /FeatureName:"LegacyComponents" /all /NoRestart
dism /Online /enable-feature /FeatureName:"DirectPlay" /NoRestart
dism /Online /enable-feature /FeatureName:"NetFX3" /all /NoRestart

Hope this will help.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - ShadowLinkX37 - 05-16-2018

Having an issue currently. I have FL installed on my C drive while I have Discovery installed on my E drive. Discovery works fine, however I want to run vanilla FL so I can play the campaign again. I experience the same error above ^ where the application starts and crashs after about 3 seconds. I have both .NET Framework 3.5 and Legacy Components enabled. I had this issue a few years ago before I found Discovery and was able to fix it by enabling DirectPlay. However when I recently got into Discovery I uninstalled FL to get a fresh install in, and FL vanilla no longer works. Prior to the fresh install FL did work. Just to be clear, Discovery works fine, running the EXE from the vanilla game file folder does not.

Specs: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Intel i5 6600K @ 3.5GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 980Ti

It was suggested to me to copy the FL save folder, and move it so vanilla FL doesn't contest Discovery. Done that, wasn't able to get vanilla FL to work.

I've tried disabling Legacy componets and reenabling, no effect.

(05-17-2018, 04:14 PM)Laz Wrote: Delete Restart.fl located in "My Documents\My Games\Freelancer\Accts\Singleplayer" - You need to do this every time you play Vanilla after playing Disco.

Tried this, still closes the app after about 3 seconds. No change. Although this sounds like it may be helpful for future use.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Laz - 05-17-2018

Delete Restart.fl located in "My Documents\My Games\Freelancer\Accts\Singleplayer" - You need to do this every time you play Vanilla after playing Disco.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Chrystoph - 11-30-2018

Update for the Windows 10 process:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows-10

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Hickory1422 - 01-20-2019

I am having the same issue, even tried installing from the CD and it will not launch. tried it on my desktop and my laptop. worked in the past on the laptop, had an outdated version of discovery that would play fine, tried to update and now I can't get it to launch on either PC.

Really missing the Vanilla storyline, but if my internet at work will suffice I'd love to play online and RP.