Discovery Gaming Community
Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Tutorials & Tools (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=178)
+---- Thread: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] (/showthread.php?tid=149421)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Major. - 01-20-2019

(01-20-2019, 08:19 PM)Hickory1422 Wrote: I am having the same issue, even tried installing from the CD and it will not launch. tried it on my desktop and my laptop. worked in the past on the laptop, had an outdated version of discovery that would play fine, tried to update and now I can't get it to launch on either PC.

Really missing the Vanilla storyline, but if my internet at work will suffice I'd love to play online and RP.

I wrote this tutorial, if you guys would be so neat and install teamviewer and add me on discord Lambda#4249 I could give it a look.
Also, are you trying to play MP or the singleplayer, because the SP won't safe any safefiles, since the safefiles are getting deleted after every restart of the game.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - bakugone - 08-29-2019

(08-29-2019, 05:37 PM)bormos3 Wrote: Yeah no, it doesn't work...And I was so looking forward to trying this game out again

Did you tried replacing the Freelancer.exe in Discovery files? I had also crashses, but it was a vanilla with black screen then descktop, Discovery .exe file fixed it.

Heres one for free, taken from my Discovery directory. If it doesn't work, then I don't know.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - bormos3 - 08-29-2019

(08-29-2019, 05:59 PM)bakugandenis2013 Wrote: Did you tried replacing the Freelancer.exe in Discovery files? I had also crashses, but it was a vanilla with black screen then descktop, Discovery .exe file fixed it.

Heres one for free, taken from my Discovery directory. If it doesn't work, then I don't know.

Nope, doesn't help. Thanks for trying though

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - Laz - 08-29-2019

Crashes or insta-closes? If you've installed direct play from legacy components and it's still broken, try going to My Documents\My Games\Freelancer\Accts\Singleplayer and deleting the restart.fl file.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - bormos3 - 08-29-2019

(08-29-2019, 06:33 PM)Laz Wrote: Crashes or insta-closes? If you've installed direct play from legacy components and it's still broken, try going to My Documents\My Games\Freelancer\Accts\Singleplayer and deleting the restart.fl file.

The game crashed. I could see the wallpaper for a few seconds and then nothing. Also there was no restart.fl files in that directory so I just decided to delete all of the save games and who would've thought....it works now. I know it wasn't really what you meant but still: Thank you

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - onno - 10-10-2019

Here is another solution.

Let me tell you my problem first. İ download no-cd 1,0 version to play SP firstly and it worked smoothly.
I played smoothly until mission 9. After I decided to try the multiplayer version, the game did not generate multiplayer ID. After this happened i started to lookin for solution for Multiplayer id. İ downloaded a few iso versions, one repack version and finaly discovery version. İ set up all that version. And played repack version a bit. After played onether set up game (repack version) and closed down i couldent open the game again. the game was starting but crashing after the intro.

I did all the suggestions but it didn't work. İ uninstalled and remove all version and tried again no-cd version. Unfortunately the problem persisted.

When I checked to make sure that I deleted the game's extensions, I noticed that there is something strange about the folder where the save files are located.( C:\Users\.....\Documents\My Games )
I permanently deleted that folder and try again no cd version and it ran. After game ran i clicked new game and the game generated automaticly new save file at same location.
I've already storage save files elsewhere. I can now continue my duties as of 9 (SP)

sorry for bad grammer.

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - darkwind - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 02:17 PM)Damnify Wrote: Hi all FL'ers

So sad atmo, so wan't to play this great game again but:

After 5 install and reinstall attempts following the help vids still no play Sad

I get the title screen 'Discovery freelancer Storms wake' it hang for a few, then black screen sometimes with 'Freelancer' in small print top left, then
back to the launcher?

can anyone please help..

I installed Freelancer to W10 recently
https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=126999
here find spoiler
Be sure this thing is enabled https://discoverygc.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=149421
well and just basically read this thing.

Did you use ISO downloaded from disco site?

RE: Windows 10 Freelancer Fix [Exe starts, but crashes right after the start] - darkwind - 01-11-2020

(01-11-2020, 02:28 PM)Damnify Wrote: hi and yep ISO from disco site.
I will try follow your help links, wish me luck

Oh well yes, I had done your suggestions but had't worked.

Send us your window specs

here's an instruction how to save. use option one or two

I'm slightly wondering because of your video card. Perhaps your PC doesn't meet requirements.

(01-11-2020, 02:38 PM)Damnify Wrote: BTW thx for trying to help

Link to how send specs

Hmm if you have advanced video card, then it's more curious. Be sure to have proper drivers installed for it.
Nvidia Thing installed to your pc

by the way, Perhaps it's possible that Freelancer can't open your Screen Resolution, try to make it working in different ones, 4:3 types. Hmm but my brother had it working in 16:9. Perhaps too great resolution? Try decreasing resolution to less one.

(01-11-2020, 02:44 PM)Damnify Wrote: ok thx will try Wink

All right. You can also check log file, perhaps it has written something useful there, when you crashed. Or may be there's another log file that has more detailed info.
C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Freelancer\DSAce.log