Discovery Gaming Community
Engaging transports without a demand - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Engaging transports without a demand (/showthread.php?tid=149749)

Pages: 1 2

Engaging transports without a demand - Impyness - 04-24-2017

So this is an issue relatively recently with no real sign of it getting fixed. Basically, ever since the rule rewrite it has been perfectly legal for certain ID's to engage transports with no demand, essentially creating terrorist ID's for these factions.

It is pretty clear that this was never the intent of the rules rewrite from both this clarification post as well as /which/ ID's are able to do this.

Here are just a few ID's that are now capable of this

Literally every corporation inside their zoi
Literally every intel faction outside of their zoi and inside of their zoi
Every navy and police faction inside their zoi
GRN, specifically mentioning because their ZOI includes bretonia which allows them to engage every Bret and Libcorp with no demand
SCRA
Order (official)

This means that there are a number of factions allowed to engage lawful transports with no demand or way for them to get out of the situation. It also works the other way, with any unlawful transport in a lawful factions zoi allowed to be engaged with no demand.

While arguments can be made either way regarding if this is a good or bad direction overall for the game to take, I personally think the real issue here is that while I personally believe that you should be required to make a demand of any transport before blowing it up save for a very few exceptions (nomad, xeno), the factions that are able to do this are in my opinion quite silly.

A Gaian can't blow up a BMM ship desecrating the beauty of nature in Dublin
But a GRN can

A Hessian cant blow up a Daumann miner in Omega 11
But an SCRA can

A Corsair cant blow up an Outcast transport in Omicron Gamma
But a BIS can

Kishiro can blow up a GC transport in Shikoku
But a Cryer cant
But a Blood Dragon / GC cant blow up a Kishiro

In a lot of cases this has made the intel factions able to be greater terrorists than the actual terrorists. In a few cases this even makes the corporation bigger terrorists (BMM still has Tau23 zoi, allowing them to engage Galcorps with no demand in the system.) I really personally find this to be quite silly and I either think that the rules should be amended to fix this issue that was obviously an oversight to begin with or restrictions removed from the actual terrorists.

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - Jack_Henderson - 04-24-2017

No ID except Nomad should be allowed to attack transports without a demand.

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - Tabris - 04-24-2017

The Coalition has been IRPly 'Radicalizing' as of late, as such they see Corporations controlled by the Houses as a plague that must be eradicated. While we still believe in worker's rights we also believe the Corporations must be removed in order to facilitate a new Worker's Paradise. Hence the declaring of House Corporations as hostile combatants (and said corporations have many times openly attacked us on sight).

To put it shortly: SCRA/Coalition hates Corporations. Wants to exterminate them. Corporations hate SCRA and have attacked them openly even before the policy was put into place by the Coalition.

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - Emperor Tekagi - 04-24-2017

(04-24-2017, 11:16 PM)Tabris Wrote: The Coalition has been IRPly 'Radicalizing' as of late, as such they see Corporations controlled by the Houses as a plague that must be eradicated. While we still believe in worker's rights we also believe the Corporations must be removed in order to facilitate a new Worker's Paradise. Hence the declaring of House Corporations as hostile combatants (and said corporations have many times openly attacked us on sight).

To put it shortly: SCRA/Coalition hates Corporations. Wants to exterminate them. Corporations hate SCRA and have attacked them openly even before the policy was put into place by the Coalition.

In their case I fully accept it, it's afterall the radical Communits of Sirius. Take it to reallife, actual real extremist communists would first aim to destroy a capitalistical economy picture. In case of Sirius this would be the corporations..

(04-24-2017, 11:08 PM)Impyness Wrote: Kishiro can blow up a GC transport in Shikoku

But a Blood Dragon / GC cant blow up a Kishiro

Even while we would go for both, Kishiro and Samura, it's a true fact you state here. We wouldn't just pirate them, we would choose to either pirate them to hell if they have cargo or outright destroy their vessels if they are empty just to harm the corporations both, BD and GC, hate more than anything else. (Focus lies more on Samura but Kishiro wouldn't get spared)

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - Freeroamer - 05-30-2017

+1 I honestly feel that a change like this would be a good idea.

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - sasapinjic - 05-30-2017

In every war since ships have invented, attacking side alwais sink trade ships of its oponents to win war by weakening or crushing oponent economy or starve its population. There was never exceptions ( that i know of that is) . Most obvius examplee is WW2 German submarine blocade of UK. I higly doubt human kind in discovery have become more humane , so it makes perfect sense for Galia to do same to its enemies.

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - Alestone - 05-30-2017

Never thought I'd be doing this, but I think that the RP logic needs to be weighed against game balance.

Everyone talks about the Trader/Criminal/LEO dynamic, but this actively discourages people from playing traders.

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - Xalrok - 05-30-2017

I agree that this should be looked into for gameplay balance reasons. One or two exceptions like Xenos or Nomads are fine IMO.

As for those saying that their faction would in roleplay crush their opposition mercilessly to win at all costs, while I'm sure they would this is a video game that others are playing for fun and not real life. PVP balance isn't based on lore either, otherwise factions like the GC, LWB, Rogues and Xenos would be consistently curbstomped by lawfuls with superior gear and I don't think that would go down too well.

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - HuggieSunrise - 05-30-2017

Has the definition of demand changed? I dont see how the detour before the blasting of said bus drivers matters a whole lot.

RE: Engaging transports without a demand - Shelco - 05-30-2017

Doesn't get abused often enough to be changed imo, never heard anyone complaining until now. If this was actively criticized by players who trade a lot I wouldn't change it.