Discovery Gaming Community
Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? (/showthread.php?tid=149988)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Durandal - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 08:11 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: Have we ever rewarded the admins/devs with anything to motivate them to keep up the good work?

Speaking as one of this microcosm's civil servants, I signed up for my job never expecting any reward. I knew exactly what I was diving into. It's my view that if you sign up for a position then you have an obligation to fulfill that role to the best of your abilities. If you don't feel like doing so, then you should walk away.

I don't speak for any other developers, moderators, or administrators, and I'm not saying that anyone at all needs to walk. Just spewing my own belief system and vaguely wondering if we'd be in a different place if more people conformed to it.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - sasapinjic - 05-04-2017

Not enough Hot Anime Girls in-game , thats the problem !

- Fixed, Durandal

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Xalrok - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 08:11 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 07:59 AM)Marburg Wrote: TL;DR - You're an admin, so we expect you to be the better person

This place is a mole-hill, correct. And thus we can be happy to have any admins left at all who deal with the unthankful job. To be honest, I don't expect anyone to be a better person than me, and that is only fair. Looking at what kind of drama the community pops out every day like Liberty produces Johns, we can be thankful that there are still some admins and devs left to do anything. We can't magically spawn them. And that is why things need to be done correctly: Criticism? Fine, but constructive, please. And then it is much more likely you get a constructive answer. What I see here in the thread is like reading YouTube comments, as everyone writes the first thing that comes to their mind. You can scale it up to the entire forum. Have we ever rewarded the admins/devs with anything to motivate them to keep up the good work?

Then don't wonder when they don't keep up the good work anymore.

While I as a developer work on this mod for free in my own time, I am not beyond criticism because of that. If people have an issue with something I do, 'Shut up and deal with it' should not be the default response to that - something that seems to happen even to people who are civil and constructive.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Sombs - 05-04-2017

http://discoverygc.com/forums/showteam.php

There isn't much left, though. It already takes weeks and months for them to go through the more important stuff, making votes, having real life, thinking about stuff from different perspectives, value what is better for the community. Solid rule structures vs. what the community would like to see.

The thing is simply those people spend their spare time to commit to the community. They don't get paid for it. If anything, they lose money for it, and time. I might not agree with all choices, but I definitely am thankful for things being done. And usually, when the admin team does something, it has at least some votes on it. The community usually has a few good ideas that get eaten by other members of the community.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Marburg - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 08:11 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: This place is a mole-hill, correct. And thus we can be happy to have any admins left at all who deal with the unthankful job. To be honest, I don't expect anyone to be a better person than me, and that is only fair. Looking at what kind of drama the community pops out every day like Liberty produces Johns, we can be thankful that there are still some admins and devs left to do anything. We can't magically spawn them. And that is why things need to be done correctly: Criticism? Fine, but constructive, please. And then it is much more likely you get a constructive answer. What I see here in the thread is like reading YouTube comments, as everyone writes the first thing that comes to their mind. You can scale it up to the entire forum. Have we ever rewarded the admins/devs with anything to motivate them to keep up the good work?

Then don't wonder when they don't keep up the good work anymore.

Here's the uncomfortable fact: while we are lucky that disco still has people willing to keep this place running...it will never return to the best that it once was...nor should it ever be expected to. it IS reasonable, however, to expect the staff to deal with the reality of that.

It's one thing to be thankful that there are those willing to go through hell dealing with this place for free, but it's another thing entirely to make excuses for them in order to continue to fit that narrative.

It's simply pragmatic say my piece & call BS to the status quo. I don't expect miracles from this lot...I simply expect them to adapt to the current realty & do better than they do now.

...& if you think what I have to say is like a youtube comment, then you should go doublecheck the standard comments on youtube.

I will continue to play with the base I have to work with. I will continue to do my best to encourage players new & old to find inspiration as I can, but in return, I also expect the staff to adapt and be more realistic and transparent about the health and stability of our community as it is today & not blow smoke as if everything is under control.

It's not.

I don't have some magic fix, & I don't pretend to, but what I DO know for a fact is that not being honest about the problems we have, and not adapting to the times in a far more transparent manner is just going to continue to hobble this community even more.

There's just not a big enough playerbase anymore to entertain sycophantic platitudes.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Sombs - 05-04-2017

To clarify: I wasn't talking about your post in general with the YouTube comment thing. You know what I mean, though. While your posts are usually more thought-out, they have a strong opinion, and strong opinions are usually bad opinions in my opinion, because if anything, the only thing that works is balance. We will never get a perfect team, nor will we ever get a perfect community with perfect members. Yes, we all should try to work on ourselfes, but in the end this is a page on the internet about an old game that we all love and like to play. Some solid structures for that are necessarily needed, and I prefer to have the current admin team than having none, to be realistic, because otherwise I'd simply start my own server and play with white-listed people, while the rest can go to hell.

I do think what the current admin team does has more solidity than what a bunch of angry community members deems right.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Backo - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 06:48 AM)Legionnaire Wrote: Don't worry peps, banned members can still play on disco (:

As long as they're not Lyth Wink

(05-04-2017, 07:04 AM)sindroms Wrote: Yes, and you are supposed to report them.

But what if we're not bitter enough to do it just to ruin their day? Sad

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Alley - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 09:30 AM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: But what if we're not bitter enough to do it just to ruin their day? Sad

Then one day someone may wipe the server files as they realize their efforts are entirely disregarded and you'll go play Overwatch instead.
good talk

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Backo - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 09:34 AM)Alley Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 09:30 AM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: But what if we're not bitter enough to do it just to ruin their day? Sad

Then one day someone may wipe the server files as they realize their efforts are entirely disregarded and you'll go play Overwatch instead.
good talk

But I don't like Overwatch. Sad

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - sindroms - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 09:34 AM)Alley Wrote:

good talk

Dibs.