Discovery Gaming Community
Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? (/showthread.php?tid=149988)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Hannibal - 05-04-2017

so another player who most likely don't even log give suggestions about how the community should be and blame admins for not being that way? yeah.. that's the problem we faced in 2016-2017, the solution might not be that agreeable for those who may be affect by it

but hey, from now on you can blame admins + devs +mods because they all have an equal vote in everything nowadays(including but not limited to, sanctions)

jokes aside, what would increase the server population will be a non-rp server(maybe not even required to speak english) because as "implied" above by corile we are a dying breed , you won't find new players from current generations Confused

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Goldberg - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 09:34 AM)Alley Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 09:30 AM)Bloodl1ke Wrote: But what if we're not bitter enough to do it just to ruin their day? Sad

Then one day someone may wipe the server files as they realize their efforts are entirely disregarded and you'll go play Overwatch instead.
good talk

Can I also play Arma 3? (:

I will report banned members if I get my cap 8 + bs scanner back that I lost xD

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Marburg - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 09:34 AM)Alley Wrote: Then one day someone may wipe the server files as they realize their efforts are entirely disregarded and you'll go play Overwatch instead.
good talk

Actually Alley, you show a good example of the many flaws we have to deal with.

You hold far more power than you deserve. You're good at what you do, but you are FAR too volatile a personality to have gained hold of the unilateral influence that you do.

I sympathize how much stress you have to deal with, but unless you & the rest have a back up plan in place that's discussed in the staff forums, you ultimately still hold the keys to the life & death of this place, is that correct?

If not, explain the contingency that will allow us to fill the void for the many times you decide to quit only to continually return intermittently just to be snarky & fix mod f'ups that no one else knows how to.

As far as I can tell, this place is basically touch & go based on the reality that you are the only one that can do your duties.

enlighten me on any misconceptions I have on this

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Sombs - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 09:53 AM)Hannibal Wrote: jokes aside, what would increase the server population will be a non-rp server(maybe not even required to speak english) because as "implied" above by corile we are a dying breed , you won't find new players from current generations Confused

We have that, it's called Connecticut and you can enjoy the pure meme experience there. Do you really want to increase the player count for the sake of the player count or do you value quality?

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Thunderer - 05-04-2017

Wait, what? Something is happening? Something is actually happening?

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Valhalla Sr. - 05-04-2017

(05-04-2017, 01:28 PM)Thunderer Wrote: Wait, what? Something is happening? Something is actually happening?

Yes. Or, well, at least someone's tried stirring the pot with the greens.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Dave Synk - 05-05-2017

Again. The Staff that can't handle it, drop it. I don't get it why people just can't let go of their green name and make the community choose fresh. Point, look for new freshmeat with fresh powers and energy, fresh ideas and on and on.

What's your problem guys in doing that ?

I don't think it hurts to look for new people who know and can do the Admin/dev job for some that are slowly getting "rusty" to say the least.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Jansen - 05-14-2017

(05-04-2017, 06:16 AM)Thyrzul Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 06:08 AM)sindroms Wrote: People expect admins to do things, people hate when admins do things.
People expect devs to do things, people hate it when devs do things.
People expect people to do things, people hate it when people do things.

things that do not match up with their own expectations, that is.

Way to oversimplify a complex issue. Thing is, what you just wrote, in the form you wrote, is simply not true, and has been a bad meme for years now. We are not clones of eachother, changing our minds at a daily basis, try making a difference between people and people and perhaps you'll finally find some sense in the apparent chaos. There is some, you just need to look for it, not just pretend.

Im german, we tend to have bad experiences with making differences between people and people. Just saying...
What Spazzy likely meant could also be boiled down to 'whatever we do, not everyone will be happy about it'. Thats simply the truth, you cant make everyone happy in a diversified community, but you can at least try to make the place enjoyable for the majority.

(05-05-2017, 10:54 PM)Dave.Synk Wrote: Again. The Staff that can't handle it, drop it. I don't get it why people just can't let go of their green name and make the community choose fresh. Point, look for new freshmeat with fresh powers and energy, fresh ideas and on and on.

I don't think it hurts to look for new people who know and can do the Admin/dev job for some that are slowly getting "rusty" to say the least.

I have been doing this fun job since 2012 and stopped recently because RL obligations just got into the way more and more in the past few months, leaving little to no time to actually contribte (OHNOEZ AN ADMIN LETTING GO OF THEIR GREEN NAME!!!1!). So I guess I could say that I have seen quite a few staff members come and go.
Chosing new people to do the job is something that is easily said, but it simply doesnt work the way you imagine it and leaving the choice entirely up to the Commnity is likely not going to end too well.
If you appoint someone for an Admin position (or even a Mod position to a bit lesser extent) then you should be able to trust that person to deal with personal data, having access to player and server files (which includes the potential to just destroy disco completely and irreversibly within a very short amount of time), to be unbiased and to be able to deal with the drama that runs before and behind the scenes for more than a month (which is the time someone needs to actually understand the basics and to be able to really do the job), otherwise all the effort spend to train that person is wasted and could have been used to actually get other things done. This all boils down to having a very limited amount of 'Admin Material' within the community.
Also, if you want to get rid of all Admins and get new ones, who is going to show them how things even work? The 'removed' Admins likely wont, so good luck with this.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - HassLHoFF™ - 05-14-2017

(05-14-2017, 09:04 AM)Jansen Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 06:16 AM)Thyrzul Wrote:
(05-04-2017, 06:08 AM)sindroms Wrote: People expect admins to do things, people hate when admins do things.
People expect devs to do things, people hate it when devs do things.
People expect people to do things, people hate it when people do things.

things that do not match up with their own expectations, that is.

Way to oversimplify a complex issue. Thing is, what you just wrote, in the form you wrote, is simply not true, and has been a bad meme for years now. We are not clones of eachother, changing our minds at a daily basis, try making a difference between people and people and perhaps you'll finally find some sense in the apparent chaos. There is some, you just need to look for it, not just pretend.

Im german, we tend to have bad experiences with making differences between people and people. Just saying...
What Spazzy likely meant could also be boiled down to 'whatever we do, not everyone will be happy about it'. Thats simply the truth, you cant make everyone happy in a diversified community, but you can at least try to make the place enjoyable for the majority.

(05-05-2017, 10:54 PM)Dave.Synk Wrote: Again. The Staff that can't handle it, drop it. I don't get it why people just can't let go of their green name and make the community choose fresh. Point, look for new freshmeat with fresh powers and energy, fresh ideas and on and on.

I have been doing this fun job since 2012 and stopped recently because RL obligations just got into the way more and more in the past few months, leaving little to no time to actually contribte (OHNOEZ AN ADMIN LETTING GO OF THEIR GREEN NAME!!!1!). So I guess I could say that I have seen quite a few staff members come and go.
Chosing new people to do the job is something that is easily said, but it simply doesnt work the way you imagine it and leaving the choice entirely up to the Commnity is likely not going to end too well.
If you appoint someone for an Admin position (or even a Mod position to a bit lesser extent) then you should be able to trust that person to deal with personal data, having access to player and server files (which includes the potential to just destroy disco completely and irreversibly within a very short amount of time), to be unbiased and to be able to deal with the drama that runs before and behind the scenes for more than a month (which is the time someone needs to actually understand the basics and to be able to really do the job), otherwise all the effort spend to train that person is wasted and could have been used to actually get other things done. This all boils down to having a very limited amount of 'Admin Material' within the community.
Also, if you want to get rid of all Admins and get new ones, who is going to show them how things even work? The 'removed' Admins likely wont, so good luck with this.

Yep, there are a couple admins, who got rid of their green name.

What I really want to see is though something like a public application thread for admins and devs, where anyone is allowed to apply and anyone is allowed to read. Every 2-3 months there could be a community poll about one of these applicants. Of course these polls must have a minimum vote count to reflect the active community tendency realistically and being justifiable.

RE: Community Awarness Call - What the hell is happening with Disco ? - Toris (Old Account) - 05-14-2017

@"Crypto" The community itself isn't adult enough to be even considered as responsible for such a thing. The fact the closed groups of players can unleash tonnes of toxicity towards players not fitting their personal views is the finest example. There are many form of abuse that is not sanctionable within server rules, yet harmful to the player and his activity.